2007 MLB Amateur Draft Thread

Flash Tizzle

Jones is a draft eligible soph that didn't even start this year. He is also a WR for the Sun Devils. He could be talented because Arizona St. has one of the best offenses in the country. I'll give him a 1% chance of signing. ;)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 04:54 PM)
A 5'3" shorstop is hilarious.

well that just makes me happy. being 5'7" and all. I guess i coulda got drafted if i had kept playing... shame... lol

43. Baldwin Vargas, RHP, New Jersey City U, 6'1", 230

DIII Junior with an ERA north of 6 and mediocre K numbers.

44. John Grim, 1B, Hersey HS, R/R, 6', 185

Another local kid...

45. Ronald Morales, LHP, Wichita St, 6'3", 195

A senior that made 7 appearances, all out of the pen, this year with an ERA of 8.10. 4 K in 3.1 IP. Ok... Profile

Tigers and Astros called it a draft.

The White Sox stop after 45 rounds. It's pretty clear how the end of draft and follows have shortened the draft for a lot of teams. Might as well make the draft 45 rounds from here on out.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 09:05 PM)
So who have been the best selections on the 2nd day if you had to pick a couple, value wise?

Story on Kenneth Gilbert

Hard not to read that and like him. It could be the typical hype that a pro prospect would get in high school, but you never know. This link says he is a good contact hitter with good speed and projectable power. He also doesn't have a college commitment that I can find. It's always interesting to see who ends up slipping through the cracks. He's got good grades and had top college programs going after him, maybe he just wanted to go pro? Who knows, but he sounds like he would be a good sign for the 9th round.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 04:49 PM)
38. Grant Monroe, RHP, Schaumburg HS 6'4" 205

A local kid now. His name is familiar, I actually think he plays basketball and is decent

I used to play against him in travel ball hes a decent pitcher. He is committing to Duke.

I never really thought he was that special when I saw him play in high school. Has some control problems.

I also see Ozzies son was drafted by the White Sox.

Edited by ChWRoCk2

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 12:21 PM)
same here

Round 15 SS Gregory Paiml

6' 185lbs U of Alabama

EWNMRCBYOYGAPOV.20070117185804.jpg

Player AVG GP-GS AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB SLG% BB HBP SO GDP OB% SF SH SB-ATT PO A E FLD%

3 Greg Paiml....... .279 57-55 190 40 53 14 2 1 18 74 .389 17 7 31 4 .360 0 6 11-15 83 136 19 .920

Congrats to Greg. Greg was a Barons batboy for many years and his older brother worked for me. Great family, really good kid. While not the most talented guy, he was a solid SS for Alabama. He's one of those borderline kids who could use a strong work ethic to surprise (see Rockies IF Jamey Carroll) or he could simply be a organizational minor leaguer.

Greg worked the Barons locker room from the time he was 10 or so. He was always out throwing with the guys and well liked by the players.

He's also responsible for the best one-day autograph haul I ever got. In 1999 (I think, maybe '98) the Phillies and Orioles played an exhibition game at The Met the day before the season started. I gave Greg a dozen authentic MLB baseballs and told him if he could get 8 signed for me, the other four balls were his to do what he wanted. After the game, he gave me a box with:

Cal Ripken (2)

Eddie Murray

Curt Schilling

Mike Mussina

Scott Rolen

Albert Belle (it said "Best Wishes Albert Belle" lol)

Ron Gant

Not bad for one Saturday afternoon.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 09:05 PM)
So who have been the best selections on the 2nd day if you had to pick a couple, value wise?

Kevin Patterson was the 67th bets prospect in the nation. He could be a tough sign, but if we do get him, he certainly was a tremedous value pick.

I was in Vegas for the second day so I Got a lot of catching up to do but s***...3 Titans.

I'm a huge huge fan of John Curtis. The kid has very good defensive skills and a solid bat. I think he could turn into a nice find a few years from now.

Another interesting guy is Justin Klip. I've seen him throw a few times and he actually models his game after Garland (per the school's website). His stuff doesn't really wow you (I saw him pitch a week ago). In fact, at one point I was like jesus this guy is going to get lit up (upper 80's) but he gets exceptional sink on his fastball and will throw in a good breaking ball down in the zone (really does an outstanding job of keeping the ball down).