Our Top Prospects

spiderman

Regarding Our Top Prospects - whether it be Gio Gonzalez, Lance Broadway, Brian Anderson, Ryan Sweeney, Josh Fields, or others - does our organization overrate them ?

I'm thinking specifically about the OF's right now as a lot of our pitching prospects still haven't made its way to the majors, but is Ryan Sweeney going to be a complementary OF or a difference maker. Same for Brian Anderson.

It's looking like quite a few of them could become key players in the next year or so for the MLB team.

So, just wondering, which ones do you think will become successful difference makers (if any) as opposed to just journeymen who we shouldn't get excited about (I'm sure Brian Anderson's name will come up here).

Edited by spiderman

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jun 6, 2007 -> 09:54 PM)
Regarding Our Top Prospects - whether it be Gio Gonzalez, Lance Broadway, Brian Anderson, Ryan Sweeney, Josh Fields, or others - does our organization overrate them ?

I'm thinking specifically about the OF's right now as a lot of our pitching prospects still haven't made its way to the majors, but is Ryan Sweeney going to be a complementary OF or a difference maker. Same for Brian Anderson.

You kidding me?

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jun 6, 2007 -> 09:54 PM)

It's looking like quite a few of them could become key players in the next year or so for the MLB team.

So, just wondering, which ones do you think will become successful difference makers (if any) as opposed to just journeymen who we shouldn't get excited about (I'm sure Brian Anderson's name will come up here).

Gio = #2 starter if he stays healthy

Brian = solid CF in the majors (not Sox though,) maybe .275, 20 homers, 15 SBs and great D

Ryan = will start to show true self in mid 20's when he physically matures, .300 hitter with 20+ homer potential, solid D and great arm in RF

Josh = all-star level third baseman or solid corner outfielder, possibly a .290 hitter with 30 homer power and 15 steals as well. No Gold gloves, but adequate D and will walk and strike out a lot.

Broadway = 4-5 starter, capable of 200 innings, double digit wins, but poor WHIP and k's.

Granted Brian won't do this with the Sox, Ryan needs two more years of weight training, Fields need some major league time, Gio needs some as well, but these guys are very are very talented, not Broadway though. These are my projections for their 2-4 peak years.

QUOTE(briguy27 @ Jun 6, 2007 -> 10:00 PM)
1 bad game for fields in 2007 and the criticizing starts already

Um....no.

Perhaps this is too big picture for you, but it looks fairly obvious that the future of this team is going to involve Josh Fields at 3B, Ryan Sweeney in the OF (along with Anderson/Owens possibly), and several young pitchers.

Are you telling me that you believe all of our prosepcts are going to work out ?????

I'm simply wondering if there's a younger player that you think is going to live up to the hype, and a player that won't.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jun 6, 2007 -> 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Um....no.

Perhaps this is too big picture for you, but it looks fairly obvious that the future of this team is going to involve Josh Fields at 3B, Ryan Sweeney in the OF (along with Anderson/Owens possibly), and several young pitchers.

Are you telling me that you believe all of our prosepcts are going to work out ?????

I'm simply wondering if there's a younger player that you think is going to live up to the hype, and a player that won't.

i dont know what thats supposed to mean

and no, we wont have any prospects work out. why? because we are the chicago f***in white sox, thats why

I think Fields will be a strikeout machine. Prinz looks like he sucks. KW talked about pitching depth in the organization, yet when middle relievers bomb out, he just has more garbage to throw on the mound. I'm sure glad he found $34 million to give to Vazquez. Owens shouldn't be leading off. Since the first half of 2005, the White Sox have had one of their worst on base guys leading off nearly every game. We get shown the stats with Pods doing well in the leadoff spot how the team does well. Wouldn't that suggest that having a decent lead off hitter is an important part of the offense? KW better go get one, because there isn't one on the White Sox, or in their minor league system or on their DL.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 6, 2007 -> 10:42 PM)
The problem with getting Crawford now is it destroys our pitching depth when you know we won't be signing any free agent pitchers

The Sox don't have any pitching depth IMO. I do like Gio, but other than that, maybe the kid in A ball. Everyone else pretty much sucks.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 6, 2007 -> 10:37 PM)
The problem with getting Crawford now is that he's going to be a FA in a few years.

And it appears the tumbleweeds are poised to make a return to USCF in 2008. They haven't been close to selling out these Yankee games.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 6, 2007 -> 10:44 PM)
We should try our best to sign Ichiro while keeping Tadahito in the process.

Tadahito is getting prematurely old IMO. I was all for signing him earlier, but I think there are some pretty good secondbaseman available after this season who wouldn't break the bank.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 6, 2007 -> 10:45 PM)
And it appears the tumbleweeds are poised to make a return to USCF in 2008. They haven't been close to selling out these Yankee games.

You don't put a winner on the field, no one goes to see the games. Who's going to want to pay 40+ bucks to go and see this team look like a group of zombies that don't even care?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 6, 2007 -> 10:46 PM)

Tadahito is getting prematurely old IMO. I was all for signing him earlier, but I think there are some pretty good secondbaseman available after this season who wouldn't break the bank.

In regards to Tadahito, when Shingo left, Tadahito's # decreased slowly. He can still get the job done. He'll get the runner over or slap the hit to go 1st and 3rd. Shingo made the transition process a lot easier for Tadahito, and it showed.