Sheff says Latino players easier to control

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 01:27 PM)
Whew...

I thought the title of the thread said:

STEFF says Latino players easier to control.

A bit out of character for her.

:D

I'm the resident "something", but it's not the resident "racist". ;)

Now, get off me and my belly or there will be trouble. :fight

:lolhitting

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 01:26 PM)
I've read his comments a few times and I still have NO idea what he's trying to say. Help.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/base...ld.comments.ap/

Oye...

"What I called is that you're going to see more black faces, but there ain't no English going to be coming out. ... (It's about) being able to tell (Latin players) what to do -- being able to control them," he told the magazine. "Where I'm from, you can't control us."

I dunno... maybe he thinks it's cool to display ones ignorance? :huh

can't help but feel that if the shoes were reversed and someone said it about african americans that this thing would be everywhere and jesse jackson would have already had like 4 heart attacks....but basically this story has gone largely unnoticed

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 02:37 PM)
can't help but feel that if the shoes were reversed and someone said it about african americans that this thing would be everywhere and jesse jackson would have already had like 4 heart attacks....but basically this story has gone largely unnoticed

I think it's because everyone knows Sheff is a intellectual retard.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 03:37 PM)
So was John Rocker.

And he was white - which enforces daa84's point, and his comments were more specific. Sheff speaks in at least 4 different circles in the article. He's trying to make a point, but he can't figure out how.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 04:15 PM)
I just hope Jim Leyland tosses his cigarette at him and tells him to shut up and hit the ball hard...we don't pay you to think.

He'd be on welfare if that were his source of income.. :ph34r:

Carlos Guillen on Gary Sheffield's comments on black and Latino players (Detroit News and Detroit Free Press): "He's right. I agree with him, big time."

Guillen says baseball does indeed have more control over Latino players, and he says he knows the fear of being sent back to his home country with nothing: "I hurt my elbow in the Gulf Coast League in extended spring training (with the Astros). I was in pain and had to stop playing because I couldn't throw. They called me and said, 'If you don't play tomorrow, you go home.' So I played DH the next day. That's control. I don't know if you get fined for saying that, but maybe (in his 10th major league season) I can talk a little bit now."

More Sheffield commentary:

- Johnette Howard, Newsday: "Sheffield isn't the only person inside baseball to lament how the game seems to have abandoned American inner-city neighborhoods even as major-league clubs have opened academies in Latin American countries. But it's lunacy to say Latinos have made the terrific impact they have in the game because they're yes men."

- Drew Sharp, Detroit Free Press: "Sheffield isn't completely wrong. Life remains one humongous grey area, but nobody wants to hear that. We're too obsessed with our red- and blue-state mentality of creating false absolutes that conveniently paint us on either side of an argument."

- Bob Smizik, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: "It will be interesting to see if Bud Selig has the courage to stand up to Sheffield. Not that Selig should be the only offended party. There should be outrage among Latin players, including his teammates. Nor should black players feel comfortable with the stereotypical comments Sheffield made about them."

I think Guillen, Sheffield, and Howard are all right, to a point, but the truth is: blacks aren't playing baseball like whites or Latinos because of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in other sports.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 03:58 PM)
And he was white - which enforces daa84's point, and his comments were more specific. Sheff speaks in at least 4 different circles in the article. He's trying to make a point, but he can't figure out how.

I'm SO missing his point.

Torii Hunter is the only one that seems to get it: If you miss out on a kid in this country, you lose 2 million, but if you miss out on a kid in the Carribean or South America, you lose 2 thousand because to him 2 thousand is a forture due to how poor it is down there. What I THINK Hunter meant was the amount of American players is going WAY down in 10 years, and combine that with the decline of blacks in the game, and well yeah you see the point, it's economic and not racial.