PAULIE!!!!!

sec159row2

in the words of the great thinker, NUKE_CLEVELAND: f***ING A!

This is the best news I've heard all offseason (minus Murcielago's statement that we got Colon for Johnson and Harris...f*** you, Murcie ;))!!! He is THE leader of the team. I think this might be a sign that Frank's days here are limited, as it shows that HE is the leader of the team now.

I was staring at my Konerko poster on my wall for like a half hour last night wondering what they'd be doing with him. This just makes my day!!!

Originally posted by HeatherTheRedbird

in the words of the great thinker, NUKE_CLEVELAND:  f***ING A!

This is the best news I've heard all offseason (minus Murcielago's statement that we got Colon for Johnson and Harris...f*** you, Murcie ;))!!!  He is THE leader of the team.  I think this might be a sign that Frank's days here are limited, as it shows that HE is the leader of the team now.

I was staring at my Konerko poster on my wall for like a half hour last night wondering what they'd be doing with him.  This just makes my day!!!

signing konerko has nothing to do with the thomas situation anymore...frank is strickly DH material as far as the sox are concerned...what happens with carlos lee and jeff liefer will have a bigger impact on what the sox think will happen with thomas...if the sox make the rumored lee- lidle trade then you assume frank will be back...if billy beane offers a good deal for lee and the sox turn it down...then you assume frank's days might be numbered...

Awesome move by the organization. Getting PK locked up is a big statement showing that they are going to try. Now they need to lock Buerhle up and make some noise by signing or acquiring a front line starting pitcher or even two of them, or just get a front line starter and a real good centerfielder.

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

Awesome move by the organization.  Getting PK locked up is a big statement showing that they are going to try.  Now they need to lock Buerhle up and make some noise by signing or acquiring a front line starting pitcher or even two of them, or just get a front line starter and a real good centerfielder.

I wish I shared your optimism Chisoxfn. Locking up PK is less a "statement showing that they are going to try" but more a necessary signing to avert Organizational suicide if PK was somehow lured away from Chicago's Southside. Even JR's cheap ass realized this. If PK had gone somewhere else to play, the few Sox fans that still show up to see the team at Comiskey would have found something better to do with their money. :mad:

this is the official Sox announcement:

WHITE SOX AGREE TO TERMS WITH PAUL KONERKO

ON THREE-YEAR DEAL

CHICAGO – First baseman Paul Konerko and the Chicago White Sox have agreed to terms on a three-year

contract through the 2005 season. The agreement, terms of which were not disclosed by the club, was

announced this afternoon by Rick Hahn, White Sox assistant general manager.

Konerko, who turns 27 on March 5, batted a career-high .304 (173-570) with 27 home runs and 104 RBI in

151 games for the White Sox in 2002. The All-Star finished second on the team in hits, doubles (30), slugging

percentage (.498), total bases (284), average and RBI, and was third in home runs and runs scored (81).

“Paul is a key member of this team both on and off the field, and our focus has been on signing him to a

multiyear contract,” said Hahn. “He is one of the top hitters in the game, has been extremely consistent over

the past four seasons, and is a major influence and leader in our clubhouse. Paul brings a very professional,

intense approach to the ballpark each day, and we are pleased to have him under contract through 2005.”

Konerko is a .291 (644-2,189) hitter with 104 home runs and 381 RBI in 592 games with the Sox after being

acquired from Cincinnati for Mike Cameron on November 10, 1998. He is a lifetime .287 (692-2,413) batter

with 111 home runs and 410 RBI in 673 career games with the Dodgers (1997-98), Cincinnati (1998) and the

White Sox (1999-2002).

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

Awesome move by the organization.  Getting PK locked up is a big statement showing that they are going to try.  Now they need to lock Buerhle up and make some noise by signing or acquiring a front line starting pitcher or even two of them, or just get a front line starter and a real good centerfielder.

Mr. Positive.

No matter how you look at it, if we lock up the nucleus of Mags, Konerko, Buehrle, Crede and Borchard long term and add a solid arm, the Sox will be in good shape to win the Central for years to come.

Look at it this way, once all of the Twins players (Hunter, Jones, Doug, Rivas, etc.) command more money, that team will be split up. I'd even like to see us maybe go after Hunter or Jones when they are ready to bolt the Twins cities. If the Indians lose Thome, write them off for a while. Tigers and Royals, well, don't even need to mention them. Neither has shown a commitment to win.

I hope the Sox realize that if they can lock up those 5 core players, this team could dominate a weak division for a few years, maybe more.

Guest hotsoxchick1

i dont know.. im not too sure about this move .... sure paulie is a good deal and locked up but... what are the whole terms of his contract? does he have a dsc? is he taking notes here with the frank situation? will he be around after 3 years are up??? or will he be ousted to the neverlands????? and how come they didnt talk to buehrle first? we need a pitcher to be around for a few years to come moreso than a 1st baseman......while im happy they locked up paulie i think they need to be locking up another position first...........jmho.........

Originally posted by hotsoxchick1

i dont know.. im not too sure about this move .... sure paulie is a good deal and locked up but... what are the whole terms of his contract? does he have a dsc? is he taking notes here with the frank situation? will he be around after 3 years are up??? or will he be ousted to the neverlands????? and how come they didnt talk to buehrle first? we need a pitcher to be around for a few years to come moreso than a 1st baseman......while im happy they locked up paulie i think they need to be locking up another position first...........jmho.........

They got the Paulie deal done first because they have been talking extension with him the past season, mixed with the fact that Buerhle is still in Japan if I recall, and then when he comes back the Sox are going to try to lock him up.

Guest hotsoxchick1

the point of the matter is jason they could have had him locked up this past mid season.. kw kept putting marks agent off and i just dont understand that... why in the hell would you put off your top gun espically when he was aksing peanuts...and wait till he had a great season when the price would tend to get a bit higher........just not good busniess sense.......

Not that this is a bad thing, but I could care less. Right now, we must sign the heart and soul of this team, Frank Thomas. Ive never really been a big PK fan since he seems to slump in the second half. I also really disliked all that he said about my man Frank. That is a problem with the Sox. Both the team leaders are rather fake. Val and PK are the ones of which I speak. Good leaders usually admit their mistakes and accept some of the blame. Yet Val and PK seem to have plenty of fun pointing that finger...

Just my honest opinion...

The one thing I do kind of wonder is why the Sox gave Konerko so much. I do think he's getting paid quite hefty considering his age and the fact that salaries are on the decline. I like Thomas a whole lot, but I'd think 3 yrs 18 mill would of been a lot more fair.

Konerko must have a great agent, cause he's getting a great deal. Thats a lot of money for a player his age.

Roman with all due respect ... are you nuts?

You said: Not that this is a bad thing, but I could care less. Right now, we must sign the heart and soul of this team, Frank Thomas. Ive

Frank is not the heart and soul of our team.

Next to Royce (thank God he's gone) Frank is the biggest primma donna

on our team.

I am very happy we rewarded Paul and I am ambivalent about Big Hurt.

I won't be mad if we keep him and won't be mad if he leaves.

I actually prefer keeping him unless we could get Thome.

But way to go in signing Paul!

He deserves the dough.