Logan Johnson, Sox Draft pick

winninguglyin83

Keep an eye on this kid playing second base for Louisville in the College world Series.

Sox drafted him in the 20th round last week.

Kids has two home runs today against Rice, the best pitching team in the tournament.

just missed a third, flying out to the warning track.

After he signs, word is that he figures to start at Great Falls.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 05:49 PM)
Well, he might be able to hit with aluminum, but can he hit with wood?

I sometimes have trouble standing with wood, it throws off my balance with all that weight on one side, I don't think I could even imagine hitting with it. :bang

Edited by Alpha Dog

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 17, 2007 -> 02:52 PM)
His on-base is so high because he stands on the plate almost literally. It's bulls*** to be honest. I'm just going to say it right now that this is one guy I will not be rooting for due to bitterness.

Great kid, hard worker, what's not to root for?

I guess you're bitter since the Ville won the Mizzou regional, right?

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jun 17, 2007 -> 02:27 PM)
I guess you're bitter since the Ville won the Mizzou regional, right?

And were completely classless in doing. Dominguez showboated the whole way around after a big HR and the manager argues with the ump 5+ times per game.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jun 17, 2007 -> 02:31 PM)
He's been hit 35 times. He does crowd the plate.

But he also lead the team with 35 walks.

good command of the strike zone.

He's a grinder.

KW will love him.

Well, try throwing strikes to a guy when if you miss inside you hit him.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 17, 2007 -> 12:37 PM)
And were completely classless in doing. Dominguez showboated the whole way around after a big HR and the manager argues with the ump 5+ times per game.

Well, try throwing strikes to a guy when if you miss inside you hit him.

Its alright....just a bit heated after that Mizzu loss. Don't worry, my Titans are now backed into a wall.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 17, 2007 -> 03:37 PM)

I guess the lesson to the story is, don't get beat by 10+ runs on your home field to a team who hadn't advanced past the Regionals in its history prior to this season. I wouldn't expect them to be classy, they'd never been in that situation before, so I would expect that they would be a little more than just excited.

By the way, I'm not a U of L fan by any means, but I do root for them since I have a good friend who happens to be the first baseman.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jun 17, 2007 -> 02:43 PM)
I guess the lesson to the story is, don't get beat by 10+ runs on your home field to a team who hadn't advanced past the Regionals in its history prior to this season. I wouldn't expect them to be classy, they'd never been in that situation before, so I would expect that they would be a little more than just excited.

By the way, I'm not a U of L fan by any means, but I do root for them since I have a good friend who happens to be the first baseman.

The incident occurred on Sunday in a 1 run ballgame, a game Louisville had to win to stay alive. The Monday game was a different story. Johnson himself did nothing.

As for Burton, what is the deal with his helmet? He has that extension over his jaw. Did he get hit once and it petrified him or what?

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 17, 2007 -> 04:08 PM)
The incident occurred on Sunday in a 1 run ballgame, a game Louisville had to win to stay alive. The Monday game was a different story. Johnson himself did nothing.

As for Burton, what is the deal with his helmet? He has that extension over his jaw. Did he get hit once and it petrified him or what?

Not sure if he got hit in the mouth or not, I'll have to ask him in a couple weeks.. I've known him since he was in 2nd grade or so and when I was a senior in HS, he was a freshman. We ran on the cross country team together and made it to the state finals for the first time in school history. I'd be surprised if someone didn't take a chance on him (he wasn't drafted) as he is a really good outfielder and he also plays a good 1B. If he hit for more power, I think he probably would have been drafted.

Dominguez just hit another bomb, he's gonna be a stud.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 17, 2007 -> 01:52 PM)
His on-base is so high because he stands on the plate almost literally. It's bulls*** to be honest. I'm just going to say it right now that this is one guy I will not be rooting for due to bitterness.

Don't blame the person for crowding the plate. If any pitchers now-a-days were smart, they knock him down everytime. And if you say he'll just let it hit him, well, he'd have to have some big stones to stand there and let a fastball hit him right in the chin.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 17, 2007 -> 04:39 PM)
Don't blame the person for crowding the plate. If any pitchers now-a-days were smart, they knock him down everytime. And if you say he'll just let it hit him, well, he'd have to have some big stones to stand there and let a fastball hit him right in the chin.

I can see both sides to the argument, but it's only really a problem if he doesn't stay inside the batter's box. If he wants to stand there and get hit, that's his prerogative.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jun 17, 2007 -> 03:50 PM)
I can see both sides to the argument, but it's only really a problem if he doesn't stay inside the batter's box. If he wants to stand there and get hit, that's his prerogative.

I'd agree with that completely. Getting hit isn't the issue, it's part of the game (more so in college). The issue is that it was questionable if he was in the box when I saw him play. Think Carl Everett. Someone will call him on it, but he will get away with it almost all the time.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jun 17, 2007 -> 01:50 PM)

The way I see it, you hate him if he's on the other team, but you love him if he's on your team. Maybe he's got a little bit of Biggio in him.