AAP: Nevin Griffith

OilCan

First, YouTube Videos:

Second, some interesting tidbits, such as http://www.perfectgame.org/stories/06_10_2...a_championship/

Review #16 - wonder if Chet gave the Sox some first hand scounting on the kid!

Third, the bio:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/ev...jsp?mc=griffith

Nevin Griffith was one of the most sought after HS pitchers in the 2007 First Year Draft.

Here is some more tidbits from Minor League Baseball's website:

Focus Area

Comments

Fastball: Griffith throws his fastball in the 91-93 mph range and pitched consistently at 91 mph.

FB Movement: When he keeps his fastball at around 91 mph, it has some nice tail and dive and it runs well. When he ups the velocity, it flattens out a little.

Curve: Griffith is working on a hard curve in the 86-88 mph range, but doesn't have confidence in it yet.

Changeup: He has a changeup, at around 81 mph, but he doesn't throw it much. It can be an effective pitch, but he doesn't believe in it yet.

Slider: Griffith throws a good sharp slider, 79-83 mph that he commands well when he's on.

Control: Command of his secondary pitches is not great. In this particular outing, he wasn't as sharp due to a layoff of almost two weeks.

Poise: Griffith is extremely even-keeled and handles adversity extremely well. Even though he allowed two runs in the first inning of this start, and didn't get help from his defense, he never lost his cool and tried to pick his teammates up.

Physical Description: Griffith has a good projectable body, with long arms and legs and big hands.

Medical Update: Healthy.

Strengths: Demeanor beyond his years, Griffith is smooth and quiet on the mound, always under control and methodical. He rises to challenges well, such as facing top hitting prospect Michael Burgess for the third time in this outing and handling him well.

Weaknesses: He doesn't command his secondary pitches consistently and needs to improve his changeup and curve. He wasn't particularly sharp in this specific outing. The flip side of his cool demeanor is that sometimes scouts wish they saw a little more fire in him out there.

Summary: Griffith is a projectable right-hander with two average or above-average pitches right now in his fastball and slider. If he can improve his curve and changeup, he has the chance to have four usable pitches. He stays very even-keeled on the mound and shows maturity beyond his years when adversity comes his way.

*This has already been reported throughout soxtalk.com.

*As of 6/21/07, Nevin Griffith has not been signed yet, however:

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/06/14/Sports/L...ranks_not.shtml

Posted 6/14/07:

QUOTE: No contracts have been signed and no decisions have been made, but all definitely is not quiet on the area baseball front. A week after being taken in the Major League Baseball amateur draft, one local talent is leaning toward turning pro and three others say they are giving professional baseball a serious look.

The leaner?

That would be Middleton pitcher Nevin Griffith, who was taken by the Chicago White Sox with the 89th pick. Griffith met with the team the day after the draft.

"We went to dinner and (the team representative) introduced me to the White Sox, " Griffith said. "I'm really happy that's the team I went to."

No formal offer has been made, but one could be coming soon. Once that happens, the 6-foot-3, 185-pound Florida International signee soon might be on his way to the minor leagues.

"I want to sign, " Griffith said. "When (the offer) happens, I'll go from there."

Newspaper article from the St. Petersberg Times' website:

Middleton star nears contract with White Sox

Not even two months have passed since Nevin Griffith played his final game in a Middleton uniform, but the standout pitcher already is getting antsy.

By Keith Niebuhr, Times Correspondent

Published June 26, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADVERTISEMENT

Sports News Video

TAMPA - Not even two months have passed since Nevin Griffith played his final game in a Middleton uniform, but the standout pitcher already is getting antsy.

"I'm ready to get out and start playing again, " he said.

Very soon, Griffith may get his wish.

The Chicago White Sox, who selected Griffith with the 89th pick in the recent Major League Baseball amateur draft, extended a formal contract offer to Griffith late last week. Griffith said he expects to chose between the White Sox and a scholarship to Florida International by week's end.

"Me and my parents are thinking it over, " Griffith said.

All along, Griffith has leaned toward turning pro.

"I don't think it's going to be a tough (decision), " Griffith said. "I really want to sign. It's my parents. They want to look out for me. They want what's best for me and to make sure everything is right before I sign on the dotted line."

If the 6-foot-3, 185-pound Griffith, a first-team Times All-Hillsborough County selection, does sign with the White Sox, he can expect to receive a nice chunk of change. According to Baseball America, the average signing bonus over the past four years for a player taken 89th in the draft is $381, 333.

[Last modified June 25, 2007, 21:19:46]

Just my two cents, the Sox may look into getting Nevin some college correspondence courses as part of the deal........

:gosox3:

• 3 weeks later...

News on Nevin;

Nevin Griffith, a second round draft pick of the Chicago White Sox, has arrived in Bristol after signing recently. Thigpen said Griffith would throw a bullpen session today, then throw a pair of batting practices and a simulated game before seeing his first game action ...

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys, day late on this..........

Of course since my absence, Nevin has signed with the Pale Hose.

Article in the St. Petersburg Times: dtd 7/26/07:

There's rarely a day off from the diamond

By JOEY KNIGHT

Published July 26, 2007

ADVERTISEMENT

Sports News Video

TAMPA - The Bristol Va. White Sox have spent three weeks preparing Nevin Griffith for his first professional pitching appearance, but needed far less time to thrust him into full-fledged adulthood.

"They gave me four days to find my own place to live," said Griffith, the former Middleton right-hander taken by the Sox with the 89th overall pick in last month's Major League Baseball first-year player draft.

"I got a one-bedroom apartment. I could have a roommate but I was like, 'Nah, I'll just live by myself.' "

Since signing with the Sox on July 3 and reporting to Bristol - the club's rookie-league affiliate - two days later, Griffith has been conditioning his body and acclimating his mind toward the daily toil of pro baseball.

Though he says he is not slated for his first game appearance until this weekend, Griffith arrives at DeVault Memorial Stadium - Bristol's home field - daily at around 11:15 a.m. for a full day of baseball.

He throws around 45 pitches every other day in bullpen sessions, but lifts weights and shags batting-practice balls daily and is in the dugout every night. Bristol has played eight games in the past seven days and doesn't have a regularly-scheduled day off until Aug. 2.

"We play for two weeks straight and then we have two days off," said Griffith, who lives about 10 blocks from the ballpark. "It's hard. Playing every day is something that's totally new."

Any spark he can inject into the Sox's staff will be welcome at this point. Bristol (10-23) ranks eighth in the nine-team Appalachian League with a 5.70 team ERA.

"I'm doing good," Griffith said. "I haven't pitched yet because they want to take it slow with me; after the draft I took some time off before I signed. ...Everything's going pretty good."

Joey Knight can be reached at (813) 226-3350 or jknight@sptimes.com.

QUOTE(OilCan @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 08:31 PM)
Sorry guys, day late on this..........

Of course since my absence, Nevin has signed with the Pale Hose.

Article in the St. Petersburg Times: dtd 7/26/07:

There's rarely a day off from the diamond

By JOEY KNIGHT

Published July 26, 2007

ADVERTISEMENT

Sports News Video

TAMPA - The Bristol Va. White Sox have spent three weeks preparing Nevin Griffith for his first professional pitching appearance, but needed far less time to thrust him into full-fledged adulthood.

"They gave me four days to find my own place to live," said Griffith, the former Middleton right-hander taken by the Sox with the 89th overall pick in last month's Major League Baseball first-year player draft.

"I got a one-bedroom apartment. I could have a roommate but I was like, 'Nah, I'll just live by myself.' "

Since signing with the Sox on July 3 and reporting to Bristol - the club's rookie-league affiliate - two days later, Griffith has been conditioning his body and acclimating his mind toward the daily toil of pro baseball.

Though he says he is not slated for his first game appearance until this weekend, Griffith arrives at DeVault Memorial Stadium - Bristol's home field - daily at around 11:15 a.m. for a full day of baseball.

He throws around 45 pitches every other day in bullpen sessions, but lifts weights and shags batting-practice balls daily and is in the dugout every night. Bristol has played eight games in the past seven days and doesn't have a regularly-scheduled day off until Aug. 2.

"We play for two weeks straight and then we have two days off," said Griffith, who lives about 10 blocks from the ballpark. "It's hard. Playing every day is something that's totally new."

Any spark he can inject into the Sox's staff will be welcome at this point. Bristol (10-23) ranks eighth in the nine-team Appalachian League with a 5.70 team ERA.

"I'm doing good," Griffith said. "I haven't pitched yet because they want to take it slow with me; after the draft I took some time off before I signed. ...Everything's going pretty good."

Joey Knight can be reached at (813) 226-3350 or jknight@sptimes.com.

Well this is good to know, i thought that he gotten/been hurt somehow.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Uh-Oh. He's injured.

Link:

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs...PORTS/806300313

Great Falls worked out of a bases-loaded jam in the top of the third. With two outs, Brown walked, Stovall singled and Day walked. Great Falls starter Nevin Griffith injured an elbow on the single by Stovall and was relieved by Dexter Carter, who walked Day.

VOYAGER NOTES:Cron doesn't think the injury to Griffith, a 2007 second-round draft choice, is too serious and is hopeful the promising right-hander won't miss more than one start. Griffith will undergo an MRI on his elbow today, the manager said
Edited by OilCan

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 01:00 PM)
That's very disappointing for Nevin.

I remember most around here were very happy for us to pick him up in the draft.

I guess that Gomez character from Hardball Times was correct in labeling him an injury waiting to happen following his selection.

I was ecstatic when the Sox selected him. Even now I don't feel it was a mistake. Griffith represented a raw pitcher with a high ceiling, and at the time (a little less now) we were starving for prospects with potential. It's not as if we had a history of success in the first round, yet alone the second, to continue signing low impact/cheap players.

I'd sign a Nevin Griffith clone in the second round every damn year rather than a Matt Long/Donald Lucy type, where they'll remain healthy but never be anything more than a minor league roster filler.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 02:47 PM)
I guess that Gomez character from Hardball Times was correct in labeling him an injury waiting to happen following his selection.

I was ecstatic when the Sox selected him. Even now I don't feel it was a mistake. Griffith represented a raw pitcher with a high ceiling, and at the time (a little less now) we were starving for prospects with potential. It's not as if we had a history of success in the first round, yet alone the second, to continue signing low impact/cheap players.

I'd sign a Nevin Griffith clone in the second round every damn year rather than a Matt Long/Donald Lucy type, where they'll remain healthy but never be anything more than a minor league roster filler.

I feel exactly the same way. Taking Griffith was one of the first times in recent memory the Sox took a high draft pick based on high potential, rather than playing it safe the Broadway or McCulloch way. I was so happy we took a chance on a high risk/high reward type player, and don't regret it one bit. He may not pan out, but it was worth it.

perhaps a move to the bullpen is in store for 2010. I feel most pitchers who have problems with mechanics and have to have TJ surgery should be move to the pen sooner rather then later. I felt Kerry Wood should have been moved to the pen at least 4 years ago, but the cubs were too stupid to do it. He was no doubt an ace starter when healthy, but any bird brain could see that Wood was an injury waiting to happen every time he took the mound.

Edited by BearSox

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

BUMP!

He's back, as you guys and gals already know... :lolhitting

Stats so far are @ http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=518746

Nothing earth-shattering so far since he's back from TJ surgery, 0-3, respectable 4.03 ERA, combined 29 IP/32 hits allowed/combined 13 BB/15 Ks at Bristol and Kanny. Good to see him working it back though.

Also some writeups already on the kid, from John Sickels: linky - http://www.minorleagueball.com/2009/7/6/93...run-july-6-2009 (sorry if this was already posted and I'm late...)

**2007 White Sox second rounder Nevin Griffith blew out his elbow and had Tommy John surgery about year ago, but is now back in action. He made two starts in June for Bristol in the Appy League, and while the numbers weren't great (nine innings, 10 hits, seven runs, 7/7 K/BB), he threw well enough that the White Sox promoted him to the Sally League to begin July. He started for Kannapolis on July 3rd, throwing five innings and allowing two runs on five hits. Griffith is still a raw arm, but at his best he has a 90-95 MPH sinking fastball and shows a promising, if erratic, curveball. He has dropped his slider to reduce strain on the elbow, focusing on the curve and changeup as his secondary pitches.
Edited by OilCan

• 11 months later...

Need to get this seriously updated...

Nevin has been on the DL due to a back injury since June 10th. Linky: http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/r...ses/?id=4026628

Successive Mondays off earlier this month allowed McEwing to resort to a four-man pitching rotation after a back injury landed Nevin Griffith on the disabled list on June 10.

Stats

Wins - 4

Losses - 2

ERA - 3.11

IP/H/BB/SO - 63.2/61/27/41

Was named to the Carolina League All Star Team before the injury.