If we get a top 5 pick in the 2008 draft.....

Jack Parkman

If we suck so badly the rest of the season that we get a top 5 pick in next year's draft, then what would you prefer seen done? would you rather go for a 5 tool position player, or a pitcher with stuff that compares to Verlander? IMO the only way that I don't take the pitcher is if the some of the players on the team are traded for a pitcher with that kind of ability. I'd like to see a young pitcher break through to the majors with the Sox that has serious stuff. I haven't seen that for a while but am crossing my fingers with Poreda :pray

Does anyone have an idea who the top pitchers and position players are in the 2008 draft, or is it impossible to know this early?

Edited by southsida86

QUOTE(southsida86 @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 03:55 AM)
If we suck so badly the rest of the season that we get a top 5 pick in next year's draft, then what would you prefer seen done? would you rather go for a 5 tool position player, or a pitcher with stuff that compares to Verlander? IMO the only way that I don't take the pitcher is if the some of the players on the team are traded for a pitcher with that kind of ability. I'd like to see a young pitcher break through to the majors with the Sox that has serious stuff. I haven't seen that for a while but am crossing my fingers with Poreda :pray

Does anyone have an idea who the top pitchers and position players are in the 2008 draft, or is it impossible to know this early?

I've been thinking about this recently too. If we don't improve, we'll have our first Top 10 (probably Top 5) pick in 17 years. Right now we have the 5th worst record in the league, IIRC. However, in a matter of a few games we could have the worst record in the league. Anyway, here's a little preview of the 2008 draft:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...7&fext=.jsp

Draft's '08 class loaded with talent

By Jonathon Mayo / MLB.com

With the second the 2007 First-Year Player Draft ended, some have automatically turned their attention to the 2008 Draft class.

Scouting staffs will begin work on next year's Draft almost immediately. A lot can happen over the next year, but it's interesting to note which players would be atop Draft boards right now.

If you can't wait to learn about these top players, there are a number of places you can check them out. For a two-for-one shopping experience, head to Cape Cod. The top college players often play in the elite wood bat Cape Cod League and that circuit's all-star game is on July 28 in Wareham. One day earlier is the Baseball Express Cape Cod Classic, a high school all-star game which has featured players like 2007 first-rounders Josh Vitters and Phillippe Aumont. Not enough? Head across country for the AFLAC All-American Game in San Diego on Aug. 11.

Here's a list of high schoolers and college players who should be watched closely for next year's Draft.

Pedro Alvarez, 3B, Vanderbilt

Alvarez was the only college player not eligible for the 2007 Draft who was a Golden Spikes Award finalist. The Vanderbilt third baseman was the SEC Tournament MVP hit .386, slugged .684 and had a .463 OBP during his standout 2007 season.

Jack Armstrong, RHP, Jupiter Community HS, Fla.

The son of the former big league pitcher of the same name, this younger Armstrong is a thin 6-foot-6 righty who throws in the low 90s. He's got room for more with a low-effort delivery. A standout basketball player as well, Armstrong is a terrific athlete.

Jordan Danks, OF, University of Texas

Danks, the younger brother of White Sox pitcher John Danks, was a pretty good prospect out of high school but wanted to go to Texas. He hit .332 in his sophomore year with 19 steals and a .440 OBP.

Ike Davis, OF, Arizona State

Another good draft prospect out of high school, Davis honored his commitment to ASU. He's been a two-way player as a left-handed pitcher, but his future is at the plate. Davis hit .354 as a sophomore and slugged .547.

Anthony Ferrara, Riverview HS, Fla.

Ferrara is a left-hander who has cranked it up into the mid-90s. He had some biceps tendinitis this season, but if he can stay healthy, the sky's the limit.

Aaron Hicks, OF/RHP, Woodrow Wilson HS, Calif.

He might be considered the top high schooler in the class as of right now. Hicks is an athletic two-way player who can reach the low 90s from the mound, but is probably an outfielder in the future and a potential five-tool guy.

Eric Hosmer, 1B, American Heritage School, Fla.

Hosmer is a pure hitter from the left side of the plate, with a very fluid stroke. He's got some leverage for future power. He also can touch 90 mph on the mound, but the bat is his best tool.

Casey Kelly, Sarasota HS, Fla.

The son of Pat Kelly (the one who played briefly for the Blue Jays), Kelly is a big, strong and athletic shortstop. He's one of the top high school quarterbacks in the country as well and he shows the arm strength at short. He's got a short swing with some pop. Even though he's big, he should at least get the chance to stay at short.

Daniel Marrs, RHP, James River HS, Va.

Marrs dealt with a little tendinitis this spring, but sits in the low 90s with his fastball. His secondary stuff is a little behind, but he's a tall right-hander with plus arm strength.

Brian Matusz, RHP, San Diego

The second-team All-American went 10-3 with a 2.85 ERA, striking out 163 and walking just 37 over 123 innings for San Diego. Hitters managed just a .214 average against him during his sophomore season.

Quinton Miller, RHP, Shawnee HS, NJ

A right-hander with a low-90s fastball, he's got more advanced command than some of the other prepsters on this list. He can throw three pitches for strikes and might have a few more ticks on his fastball as he matures.

Tyson Ross, RHP, California

It may not have been a good 2007 draft for college right-handers, but 2008 might be different with Matusz and Ross at the top. Ross had a 2.49 ERA for the Cal Bears, striking out 120 and walked 39 in 115 2/3 innings.

Justin Smoak, 1B, South Carolina

A 16th-round selection in 2005, he would have gone much higher if not for his strong commitment to South Carolina. After hitting .317 with 21 homers as a sophomore, he now has 38 round-trippers in his two years of college ball.

Jacob Thompson, RHP, Virginia

Thompson became the Friday starter this past season, replacing Sean Doolittle, the school's all-time wins leader. That should tell you enough about him, but his 11-0 record, 1.50 ERA, .198 batting average against and 101 strikeouts in 114 innings show he belongs in the group of elite college righties on this list.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 11:19 PM)
I don't know much about next years draft, but a lot of people here are talking about the SS from Vandy. 5-tool player supposedly, who has a great speed and power combo, and pick it on defense.

Pedro Alvarez. He's pretty much the consensus #1 pick at this time.

Jordan Danks would be a good guess. He is likely to go top 15, right?, depending on how he does this season. And the White Sox did draft him a couple years ago, and his brother is on this team. Probably a Boras client as well though.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 04:25 AM)
Jordan Danks would be a good guess. He is likely to go top 15, right?, depending on how he does this season. And the White Sox did draft him a couple years ago, and his brother is on this team. Probably a Boras client as well though.

Jordan Danks is definitely a prime candidate for the Sox. We've already drafted him once and (obviously) his brother is on the team. We have a very good relationship with the family too. As of now, he'd probably go in the 15-25 range, but depending on the type of season he has, he could go higher. Realistically, if we end up with a Top 5 pick, the only way we'd draft Jordan is if we get a lower pick from a team that signs JD, Buerhle, or Gooch, assuming they're Type A Free Agents.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 11:19 PM)
I don't know much about next years draft, but a lot of people here are talking about the SS from Vandy. 5-tool player supposedly, who has a great speed and power combo, and pick it on defense.

pedro, featured in my avatar, is a 3b....i saw him play almost every one of his home games hte past two years and a handful of raod games....heres what i can tell you about him....

his bat is plus plus....truely an ideal type hitter...patient at the plate (57 BBs as fresh, 40 as soph in ~ 260 ABs), power to all fields, (22 and 18 HR)...but he is also a good high average hitter who hits the ball hard all the time....339 and .386 BA....i wouldnt really say he has plus speed, but for a big strong guy he can move and swipe a base, but thats something that probably wont project as much in the majors...

defense...pedro has the arm to stay at third, no doubt about that...but id question his hands and range at the next level...i wouldnt at all be suprised if he moved to either 1b or the OF in the majors, but his bat should easily allow him to play either position....i personally feel he will be an alex gordon type prospect right away, because he is so polished and has such great power at the plate

QUOTE(southsida86 @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 12:39 PM)
Lets say we get the #2 pick so Alvarez is gone. Then what? Who is the college pitcher with the best stuff?

I think the Sox take Danks if he's available regardless of where they pick. They won't want to pay slot money for a high draft pick, and I think they'll try to draft below slot.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 03:17 PM)
I think the Sox take Danks if he's available regardless of where they pick. They won't want to pay slot money for a high draft pick, and I think they'll try to draft below slot.

I think you're wrong, but if they do that, then everyone in the entire front office should be fired.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 04:01 PM)
If we get a 2nd pick from losing Dye or something like that I could see the target being Danks, but thats the only way possible he lands on the whitesox.

I have a feeling that Texas will likly sign Dye, and they will be a top 10 pick so we would only get their 2nd rounder and a sandwich pick...

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 09:42 AM)
pedro, featured in my avatar, is a 3b....i saw him play almost every one of his home games hte past two years and a handful of raod games....heres what i can tell you about him....

his bat is plus plus....truely an ideal type hitter...patient at the plate (57 BBs as fresh, 40 as soph in ~ 260 ABs), power to all fields, (22 and 18 HR)...but he is also a good high average hitter who hits the ball hard all the time....339 and .386 BA....i wouldnt really say he has plus speed, but for a big strong guy he can move and swipe a base, but thats something that probably wont project as much in the majors...

defense...pedro has the arm to stay at third, no doubt about that...but id question his hands and range at the next level...i wouldnt at all be suprised if he moved to either 1b or the OF in the majors, but his bat should easily allow him to play either position....i personally feel he will be an alex gordon type prospect right away, because he is so polished and has such great power at the plate

Do you think he could play RF, is his arm strong enough? How is his strike out rate?

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 08:14 PM)
Do you think he could play RF, is his arm strong enough? How is his strike out rate?

yeah he def. has the arm strength he had close to the best arm of any 3b i saw on the college level all year...he Ks quite a bit, but its something you live with given the fact that he walks and hits for power.....hes not adam dunn bad, but like most lefties it seems hes susceptible to the breaking ball down and in

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(max power @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 08:33 AM)
You ever wonder why they have the draft during the season as opposed to the off season?

I do

they have it at the end of the high school/college season so players who are looking to college can decide between that or the draft

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 26, 2007 -> 12:44 AM)
hey daa84... who would you compare Alvares to?

I'd read his sig for that:

"Alvarez is being called a lefthanded Albert Pujols in the making." - Aaron Fitt - Baseball America

A bit much probably, but he's considered a superstud.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 26, 2007 -> 12:17 AM)
I'd read his sig for that:

"Alvarez is being called a lefthanded Albert Pujols in the making." - Aaron Fitt - Baseball America

A bit much probably, but he's considered a superstud.

Yeah, I saw that. But I want to hear who daa84 whould compare him to, not Aaron Fitt... :cheers