Josh Fields and team's lack of clutch hits

greg775

What do you all think of Fields after his first week or so of regular playing time?

Is he a certain star or just another guy?

I will not crucify him because he's actually had some hits, unlike Anderson when he got his

first chance ... but Fields really had a chance to make an immediate impact and be a fan favorite in several plate appearances against the Cub.

And he, like his teammates, couldn't get the clutch hit.

To those who were happy Crede went on the DL ... do you have the same feeling about Fields you had

a week or so ago? Just asking, because the unknown always appears better than the known.

On a side note, have you ever seen a team in a 3 game series at home against a rival have so few impact

hits?

I mean nobody slashed any shots into the gaps, nobody hit the ball over the fence, it was strike out after

strike out, bad at bat after bad at bat.

It was like 3 days of hell in the Sox's own ballpark nonetheless.

The thing I want Fields to do more then anything else is hit the ball to all direction. I don't think he has hit one ball to RF. Also, he needs to be able to catch up to the major league fastball, he swings through them way too often. Overall, I really like what I have seen from him, and he has some big time power potential, IMO.

QUOTE(POPPY_HIDALGO @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 09:38 PM)
He has big time strike out potential in my opinion. The guy looks lost out there. I'd rather have a man at 3rd than some child who looks like a fool against major league pitching more than half the time.

We must not be watching the same games then. Cause to me, he looks like a rookie.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE(POPPY_HIDALGO @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 09:38 PM)
He has big time strike out potential in my opinion. The guy looks lost out there. I'd rather have a man at 3rd than some child who looks like a fool against major league pitching more than half the time.

He actually has one of the higher batting averages on the team right now...

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 09:39 PM)
Fields doesn't look lost. A little overpowered, but not lost. He's got an approach and he's not looking like an idiot on offspeed pitches. He knows what to do with those and breaking pitches. He just needs to work on his batspeed and shortening his swing.

And we have just the man to teach him all this! pffffffffffffffffffffft.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fields doesn't look lost. A little overpowered, but not lost. He's got an approach and he's not looking like an idiot on offspeed pitches. He knows what to do with those and breaking pitches. He just needs to work on his batspeed and shortening his swing.

I agree. He has to be able to shorten that swing more to catch up to the ML fastball. That will come. He looks and acts like a major league player. I like him a lot. Hell, he is doing better than Crede was. He has BIG time power.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
His D has been just fine so far....why do people make it sound like it's been a major issue?

I agree, what is that all about? From what I have seen he plays a nice 3B.

He has trouble hitting behind in the count and the majority of his ABs pitchers are starting him off with a strike on pitches that are good to hit. He needs to start ripping these so he can work ahead in the count when opponents start being more cautious.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He has trouble hitting behind in the count and the majority of his ABs pitchers are starting him off with a strike on pitches that are good to hit. He needs to start ripping these so he can work ahead in the count when opponents start being more cautious.

Eventually he will. He will learn all of this. He is a rookie. Don't forget that. There will be some growing pains.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 09:30 PM)
To those who were happy Crede went on the DL ... do you have the same feeling about Fields you had

a week or so ago? Just asking, because the unknown always appears better than the known.

Yes I do and it won't change with him. I've already said it before and I'll say it again. Of all the 1st rounders we have picked I haven't felt better about any of them "potential wise" like Josh. IMO, he could be our best 1st rounder in a while. I believe he's going to be a very good player definitely all-star type player IF he can improve (which he has been doing) on his defense. I really like what he brings to his game. He'll be striking out alot around right now but those K's will definitely decrease come year to year and his walk rate will increase (not saying 100+ BB a year I'll say 60-70+ maybe like Konerko's BB/SO from 04-06 even though I believe Fields will strikout less than 100.... maybe) Unless were getting Pedro Alvarez and developing him at 3rd or someone potentially better, Josh Fields could be a keeper. (one thing I love what he does even from the minors is that he gets alot of extra base hits could even swipe a bag and his power is sexy) If I'm wrong about him, hey, I'm wrong.

Well as most of you know I hate all our farm players and think they are all very highly overrated. That said I actaully like fields and am willing to let him play the rest of this year to really see what he has. Right now he stikes out way to much. He needs better concentration and needs to hit to the other side, but this season is over so why not let him play. In addition with all the injuries we have in the outfield I think its very telling that Andersen is not being called to play. I hate the guy but I think this shows that the sox really hate him too. He must have really pissed them off with his goofy attitude.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It would be interesting to see how Fields hits with the people around him hitting and people on base for him.

Good point. Imagine people actually getting on base in front of him and a really good hitter behind him in the order. I think he will see a lot better pitches to hit. However, he has to be able to hit a ML fastball. If not, they will just continue to throw that by him no matter who is in front or behind him.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well as most of you know I hate all our farm players and think they are all very highly overrated. That said I actaully like fields and am willing to let him play the rest of this year to really see what he has. Right now he stikes out way to much. He needs better concentration and needs to hit to the other side, but this season is over so why not let him play. In addition with all the injuries we have in the outfield I think its very telling that Andersen is not being called to play. I hate the guy but I think this shows that the sox really hate him too. He must have really pissed them off with his goofy attitude.

I couldn't agree more about Anderson. He is a total f*** up. I hate him as well.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 09:53 PM)

Anderson has been injured (shoulder) of late and suffered a slight concussion yesterday. He's been DH'ing for the majority of the time since being demoted due to his shoulder injury. So it would have made no sense to promote Anderson when he's incapable of playing the field, I doubt it has anything to do with them "hating him."

It would be interesting to see how Fields hits with the people around him hitting and people on base for him.

Yes that is a good point.

I just thought it would have been nice to see him be the Sox player to smash a key hit yesterday or

today. He had a couple chances to steal the headlines and he made weak outs just like the rest of

his teammates.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 10:13 PM)
Yes that is a good point.

I just thought it would have been nice to see him be the Sox player to smash a key hit yesterday or

today. He had a couple chances to steal the headlines and he made weak outs just like the rest of

his teammates.

He is a rookie, who has been up for a cup of coffee and we are already ripping him? Come on now. The season is over, lets see what the kid can do. He looks pretty decent to me. And his power looks real good. He is replacing the 07 version of Crede who couldnt hit to save his life. So anything we get out of the rookie is gravy.

He is a rookie, who has been up for a cup of coffee and we are already ripping him? Come on now. The season is over, lets see what the kid can do. He looks pretty decent to me. And his power looks real good. He is replacing the 07 version of Crede who couldnt hit to save his life. So anything we get out of the rookie is gravy.

I'm not ripping him. I tried to word my initial post to make that clear.

I just a.) thought it would have been great to have him steal the headlines with the key hit yesterday or

today. And b.) really wondered if the Crede haters had changed their opinion of Josh at all after actually

seeing him in the flesh for a week or so.

I hope Fields does well.

p.s. Note to Paulie and Thome and AJ. It would be nice if you three could solve your hitting problems and

start carrying the team.

No excuses. You 3 have got to start ripping the baseball. My gawd, start hitting.

There was a base hit today that got by Fields that would have been a DP if Crede was at third, but for the most part his defense has been fine. I just think people are jumping the gun on this guy. Everyone talks about his power. He hit 19 homers last year in Charlotte. Crede hit 30 in Chicago. If Crede's surgery goes well and his back is painfree, and that's a huge if, he's a better player than Fields. Fields right now is obviously better than the 2007 version of Joe Crede, and is obviously more deserving of his major league minimum paycheck than guys like Gonzalez, Prinz, Buckvich, just to name of few, but calling him a future All Star? C'mon.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
His D has been just fine so far....why do people make it sound like it's been a major issue?

Well, it's not like he has been making E5 after E5, but there are grounders he dives for that Crede would get, but again, that's something he needs to work on. And he's a 24 year old rookie, he will grow, and eventually he will be clutch. Maybe not as clutch as Crede was, but clutch.