Gavin Floyd

winninguglyin83

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:14 PM)
I can't agree with that unless we traded Gio again. But other than Gio I'd probably agree with you.

If Gavin does indeed have his stuff back from a few years ago then he has better overall stuff than Gio.

The only guy who may have close to as good of stuff is De Los Santos (and that is solely based from a report from someone that I know thats seen him pitch as well as what I've read on MILB and ohter publications). And obviously being at the level De Los Santos is there are still some major question-marks about him and lots of things that can go wrong.

Hell, I don't even think Gio's curve is as good as Floyds and I know Gio doesn't have the velocity on the FB that Floyd does. This isn't a knock on Gio either cause I think Gio is a very good prospect (not a #1 but potentially a #2 or 3 starter).

Has anyone actually seen him pitch? I keep hearing that his fastball is back up to 94, but have heard that he has pitched at 96 sometime this year. Having a starting pitcher with that kind of fastball would be great for the Sox. If Gavin has success at the Major league level I wouldn't be opposed to trading Masset if Mark is re-signed. The Sox have to keep Gavin at the major league level next year. If(and this is a big if) Buehrle is re-signed, and Jose won't waive his NTC, then would we keep him in the bullpen? I can't imagine the Sox giving up on him so soon, especially with the way he has been pitching at Charlotte.

QUOTE(southsida86 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:38 PM)
Has anyone actually seen him pitch? I keep hearing that his fastball is back up to 94, but have heard that he has pitched at 96 sometime this year. Having a starting pitcher with that kind of fastball would be great for the Sox. If Gavin has success at the Major league level I wouldn't be opposed to trading Masset if Mark is re-signed. The Sox have to keep Gavin at the major league level next year. If(and this is a big if) Buehrle is re-signed, and Jose won't waive his NTC, then would we keep him in the bullpen? I can't imagine the Sox giving up on him so soon, especially with the way he has been pitching at Charlotte.

Who would want Masset? He's never been successful. Except in Mexico, where he left his fastball. Allegedly.

BHAM told me Floyd's consistently at 92-94.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:46 PM)
Who would want Masset? He's never been successful. Except in Mexico, where he left his fastball. Allegedly.

BHAM told me Floyd's consistently at 92-94.

And he can rare back and top out into the 95-96 MPH range (so he's definitely got more velocity).

As far as Masset goes, I know all 30 teams would be knocking on the Sox door if we were to move him. He has good life on an above average fastball to go with a nasty curveball. He has some serious command issues but he's definitely a guy with a lot of potential.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:51 PM)
Gavin has better stuff than Gio.

Probably, but Gio's stuff just looks more impressive to the untrained eye. Probably because he's lefty and short, but Gavin's stuff is supposedly dynamite when he's on and he's been on the last month.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:53 PM)
Probably, but Gio's stuff just looks more impressive to the untrained eye. Probably because he's lefty and short, but Gavin's stuff is supposedly dynamite when he's on and he's been on the last month.

Gio's curve is nasty because its from the left side and sweeps a bit. Gavin's is a 12 to 6 nightmare.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 06:12 PM)
Lets just put it this way... G & G (Gio and Galvin... dur) could make a devastating combo some day.

In a year or two, if you put together a rotation of Buehrle, Garland, Danks, Gio, and Gavin...that could be really, really, really good, and pretty darn cheap too.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 11:06 PM)
In a year or two, if you put together a rotation of Buehrle, Garland, Danks, Gio, and Gavin...that could be really, really, really good, and pretty darn cheap too.

It could also be really really really bad. Just playing devil's advocate. I'd love if that rotation became a rotation for us, same as I'd love it if Haeger were in the rotation. I still believe in that kid's future.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 11:06 PM)

Not bad, but I'm hardly thrilled about the aforementioned names competing with a potential rotation of Verlander, Miller, Bonderman, Porcello.

I believe we'll need an unforseen pitcher to emerge from the depths of our system (or from outside via trade) to legitimately match those within the division. An unquestionable ace. DLS may be that person, but he's not far enough in his development to answer one way or another. Still, wouldn't mind two or three more pitchers of similar stature to suppliment the system in the event injures/ineffectiveness occur.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 05:33 AM)
Look who is number 1.

We got a steal for the Garcia trade.

I wonder which of our d-bag beat reporters said this...

While in Philly last week to cover the Phillies-White Sox series, a Chicago beat writer offered an update on Gavin Floyd. “She’s doing better in Triple-A,” the scribe chuckled.