White Sox vs. Twins, Game 1 of DH, 7/06/07 (L)

BearSox

Toby did a freaking horrible job. Owens wouldn't be bad if his bat speed wasn't so ridiculously slow. Why the f*** Sweeney isn't up here and playing every day is beyond me.

I understood with Pods up that the Sox were behooved to play Pods as much as possible hoping you could get him some trade value but Owens isn't the answer.

Hall needs to just have his surgery and hope he can play next year. I respect him like no other for toughing it out, but the Sox are toast anyway so get healthy and be ready to play the next two years.

Garland has just been bad today, but sometimes that happens.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 02:00 PM)
I recognize that guy on the mound. Haven't seen you in awhile, Judy.

Judy was afraid of hitters, this is just a case of everything he throws up there is right down the middle and getting crushed. I'm curious how long we stick with him, as I think we can score quite a few runs on Baker and win this game, but Garland obviously isn't going to do anything resembling go deep into this game unless we let him give up about a dozen runs.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 12:02 PM)
Judy was afraid of hitters, this is just a case of everything he throws up there is right down the middle and getting crushed. I'm curious how long we stick with him, as I think we can score quite a few runs on Baker and win this game, but Garland obviously isn't going to do anything resembling go deep into this game unless we let him give up about a dozen runs.

No reason to pull him. This is just going to be one of those games Jon needs to battle and get innings cause he'll probably give up a zillion runs but the innings are more important. Maybe he can get his release point at somepoint and not make things any worse.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 02:01 PM)
Toby did a freaking horrible job. Owens wouldn't be bad if his bat speed wasn't so ridiculously slow. Why the f*** Sweeney isn't up here and playing every day is beyond me.

I understood with Pods up that the Sox were behooved to play Pods as much as possible hoping you could get him some trade value but Owens isn't the answer.

Hall needs to just have his surgery and hope he can play next year. I respect him like no other for toughing it out, but the Sox are toast anyway so get healthy and be ready to play the next two years.

Garland has just been bad today, but sometimes that happens.

Its the Marlins template offense that Ozzie is after.

One speedy guy up top, ala Pierre. Owens seems to be that guy for Ozzie.

I would rather have Sweeney up and learning now instead of having Owens out there.

Let Andy Gonzales bat first, let Sweeney bat second and rinse and repeat for the rest of the season.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 12:03 PM)
Its the Marlins template offense that Ozzie is after.

One speedy guy up top, ala Pierre. Owens seems to be that guy for Ozzie.

I would rather have Sweeney up and learning now instead of having Owens out there.

Let Andy Gonzales bat first, let Sweeney bat second and rinse and repeat for the rest of the season.

I think maybe Ozzie is sending a message to Kenny. I could be wrong, but Ozzie wants a speed guy and he's going to tell Kenny either get me a good one or I'll just trot out a s***ty guy that can run (and yes I'm being overly harsh on Owens but its the truth).

Sweeney needs to play cause aside from Fields he is the only position guy that has a chance at being a major league regular (well at least in AAA right now). Oh and Richar obviously has a chance.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 02:03 PM)
No reason to pull him. This is just going to be one of those games Jon needs to battle and get innings cause he'll probably give up a zillion runs but the innings are more important. Maybe he can get his release point at somepoint and not make things any worse.

I wouldn't pull him yet, but you don't want to pull him since he's a doubleheader with Gavin going in game 2.....but at the same time you can't let Jon die out there, and he might at this rate. Hopefully he settles down and can get through 5 or 6 and keep it close. This game is definitely not over, Baker is mediocre.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 02:05 PM)
Could Toby Hall be that bad at calling games?

Toby isn't telling Jon to throw every pitch right down the middle, which is what Jon is doing. Can't blame him today.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think maybe Ozzie is sending a message to Kenny. I could be wrong, but Ozzie wants a speed guy and he's going to tell Kenny either get me a good one or I'll just trot out a s***ty guy that can run (and yes I'm being overly harsh on Owens but its the truth).

Agree. It is not necessarily Guillen rubbing it in KW's face but for whatever reason they seem to think if Owens settles in, he might be a leadoff option. I totally disagree. Even if he is, where do you play him? His arm is woefully weak for CF, he can't play RF and can barely handle LF. Plus you'd like to have some power from the OF corners. Neither Owens or Sweeney for that matter give that.

Once again it all comes down to this, get better players.

But yes, I would take Sweeney out there over Owens.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 02:05 PM)

Sweeney needs to play cause aside from Fields he is the only position guy that has a chance at being a major league regular (well at least in AAA right now). Oh and Richar obviously has a chance.

Sweeney and Richar should be up soon. Lets see what we have while playing teams that have meaningful baseball. Bringing them up in september weakens the competition a bit.

Richar is fast, hell if its a fast guy. Lets see what he can do.

Sweeney needs to be playing in the OF, and batting 2nd for right now.

Holy s***...Hunter is good. I know he's getting older but I'd still absolutely love to have this guy in CF (especially if the club can get some good young outfielders to have around him and keep most of the rotation in tact).

Because as long as you can keep the rotation in tact for the most part, you can compete next season (pitching staffs this good have chances to win).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 02:10 PM)
Holy s***...Hunter is good. I know he's getting older but I'd still absolutely love to have this guy in CF (especially if the club can get some good young outfielders to have around him and keep most of the rotation in tact).

Because as long as you can keep the rotation in tact for the most part, you can compete next season (pitching staffs this good have chances to win).

The amazing thing about Hunter is his instincts of the crack of the bat. He gets back to the fence, and makes the jump. We have had good defensive guys like Rowand and Anderson, but neither one of those guys had the instincts Hunter has.

That 1-1 swing by Jermaine is awful. Belt hit 82 MPH pitch on a platter and he somehow swings through it.

RBI fielders choice, Paulie out, Thome scores, Jermaine safe at 1st, 6-4 game.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 02:12 PM)
The amazing thing about Hunter is his instincts of the crack of the bat. He gets back to the fence, and makes the jump. We have had good defensive guys like Rowand and Anderson, but neither one of those guys had the instincts Hunter has.

Baseball fans that our in my age bracket (18 to 22 range or so) have been blessed to see 3 of the best instinct CFers in the history of the game in Griffey circa Seattle, Andruw Jones, and Hunter.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 12:12 PM)

Hunter is one of the greatest I've ever seen. He just makes everything look ridiculously easy. Plus he has a fantastic attitude and fits in nicely at the 5 or 6 spot of the lineup. He isn't quite what Jermaine was for the Sox last season but he can be a similar type of player, especially when you would factor in the type of hole he would be filling in CF. Plus, with his pop in CF, you could get away with having Sweeney's lack of pop in LF and could than go with a guy like Kemp in RF (and let him develop). Utilize the 2nd/SS spots for the 1-2 spots in the lineup, use Konerko at 1st, DH Crede, move Thome and let Fields play 3rd.

It may not be a pretty offense, but for the most part it would have some speed, some vets, and if Konerko/Crede/Hunter do good you have enough pop in the middle (plus Fields) although it is obviously a righty dominated lineup. And you still have AJ's lefty bat and hopefully good speed at the top of the order.

Mix that with a rotation that still has at least 2 of Garland/Buehrle/Vaz and you can still compete, imo. If you still have all three of those guys in the rotation than you can clearly compete, imo.