White Sox Notes: Buehrle Sick of Rumors

Heads22

Notes: Buehrle waiting for resolution

Left-hander has been at forefront of media speculation

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- To borrow a line from The Police, performing two concerts on the North Side of Chicago this weekend as part of their reunion tour, every breath Mark Buehrle takes and every move he makes, someone will be watching him.

At least, that's the current situation Buehrle has been dealing with on a day-to-day basis as his contract extension hangs in no-trade clause limbo. Take the last two days, as examples.

Buehrle spent part of Friday morning's pregame taking items from his locker and packing them in a large box. These movements drew a constant collective media gaze, trying to figure out if Buehrle had been traded.

And on Thursday night, after a White Sox 11-6 victory, John Danks immediately thought his mentor had been moved when a call came into his cell phone from Buehrle. In reality, Buehrle simply was checking what time the team stretch was scheduled for on Friday.

It's the sort of unwanted life under a microscope causing Buehrle to hope a final decision, in one direction or another, comes about very soon.

"Whatever it is, I'm sick of seeing everything in the paper," said Buehrle, speaking in calm and relaxed tones while sitting in front of his locker. "I just want something to get done.

"Every time I come in here it's constantly, 'I'm trying to kind of hide from you guys so I don't have to talk to you all the time.' I'm reading rumors and seeing stuff. Just get something over and let it happen already."

Since the media already had surrounded Buehrle, the left-hander did answer a few contractually related questions. Buehrle verified previous comments made by Jeff Berry, his agent, that if he were traded, he would not give the new team an immediate chance to sign him to an extension. Instead, Buehrle would test free agency in the offseason.

That possible free agency would not include a hometown discount provided by Buehrle to the White Sox.

"As far as coming back here?" Buehrle said. "I'm going out to test the free agent market so I'm sure the numbers are going to be a little more than they are right now.

"If I do get traded and go to some team, I'm not saying that I wouldn't re-sign with that team. But I'm to this point in my career, so why not go out and test free agency and see what else is out there."

The next start for Buehrle still is scheduled for Saturday at U.S. Cellular Field -- that is, unless Buehrle's packing Friday was a harbinger of things to come.

"Read whatever you want into it," said Buehrle with a smile. "You can say I got traded now and I'm packing my stuff if you want. I'm just getting some stuff out of there. I've been meaning to do for a while."

Meeting of the minds: Manager Ozzie Guillen's office served as Friday's locale for a staff meeting involving general manager Ken Williams, assistant general manager Rick Hahn and Guillen's coaching staff. The primary point of the meeting was to discuss what the team needs to put a run together and get back into possible playoff contention.

In Guillen's mind, if the White Sox finish the first half strong this weekend against Minnesota and get off to a quick second-half start on their 11-game road trip, there's a chance the team he has now could stay together.

"Right now, I think I'm going to have the same ballclub," Guillen said. "I don't think we'll see anything different that quick, although as a manager, I'd rather do something early than late.

"No doubt we have to start playing better. The players have to make sure we convince Kenny, myself, [chairman] Jerry [Reinsdorf], everyone who's involved with the team, convince them we have a shot. That's a lot of things to convince."

Twelve games remaining against Cleveland and 13 against Detroit add to Guillen's second-half optimism.

"Every team has a run, but we haven't yet," Guillen said. "A lot of teams are going to [falter]. Other teams that play against us haven't yet, but they will."

Steady starting: Gavin Floyd's start Friday night will make him just the second pitcher other than the rotation's front five to make a trip to the mound this season. Both Floyd and Nick Masset were called into duty due to make-up games for previous weather-related postponements.

Otherwise, Jon Garland (17 starts), Jose Contreras (17), Javier Vazquez (16), Danks (16) and Buehrle (16) emerged as baseball's model for durability.

"You have to give credit to our strength coaches and our trainers," Danks said. "These guys are staying on top of us. [Pitching coach Don Cooper] has us do all of our work and Ozzie is doing a good job of managing us, not running us out there for 120 or 130 pitches.

"So, they are doing all the things to keep us healthy," Danks added.

New relief: Prior to Friday's first game of the doubleheader, Mike MacDougal was placed on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to July 5) with right shoulder inflammation. Dewon Day was reinstated following a rehab assignment with Triple-A Charlotte.

Although Day has a 5.19 ERA in just seven previous Major League appearances, Guillen likes what the right-hander has to offer.

"He threw the ball good until he got hurt. I like him," said Guillen of Day, who was sidelined with back pain. "I just talked to him and said, 'Hey, I'm tired [of paying for plane tickets for you] to go back and forth. It's time to stay.'

"We're losing a lot of money sending him back and forth, but I think this kid is aggressive. I think we can count on this kid."

MacDougal's shoulder issues prevented the right-hander from being used during Thursday's victory. In 31 games this season, MacDougal has a 6.23 ERA and has walked 21 over 21 2/3 innings.

Around the horn: White Sox assistant director of conditioning Dale Torborg sported a 'Team Pierzynski' T-shirt in the clubhouse prior to the start of Friday's doubleheader. The shirt also reads "A.J. and Torborg" on the front and "The World's Most Hated Athletes" on the back, suggesting there might be more wrestling for this duo in the future. ... The White Sox and Twins last met for a twinbill on Aug. 27, 1993 at Comiskey Park. The teams split the two games. ... A.J. Pierzynski had gone 123 at-bats without a home run entering Friday's nightcap, last going deep on May 20 at Wrigley Field.

Down on the farm: Brian Anderson has started to hit the ball with authority for Triple-A Charlotte. Anderson knocked out three hits, including his eighth home run, during the Knights' 11-6 victory over Columbus on Thursday. Anderson is hitting .368 over his last 11 games, with four home runs and eight RBIs. Danny Richar chipped in three hits, including his third home run, and is batting .328 over 15 games since being moved to Charlotte ... Micah Schnurstein, who leads the Carolina League in four different categories on offense, drove in his 53rd run in Class A Winston-Salem's 4-2 loss to Frederick.

On deck: Saturday's contest will be the first 2007 start for Buehrle (5-4, 3.26) against the Twins. Buehrle has an 18-10 record and 3.76 ERA lifetime against Minnesota.

Even Buehrle is tired of this circus. It's entering the realm of absurd. Williams just needs to end it, one way or another. Having it stretch out for another week is good for no one. Should Mark or his teammates answer questions everyday concerning rumors or contract negotiations? They're terrible as it is, no more need for distractions.

And no, Rowand, I will not show any patience. :)

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 04:55 PM)
Bruce Levine is reporting today that the talks are dead. If true, he only has a few more days/weeks here.

Well if this is true and they trade MB, I believe this will go down as one of the dumbest moves ever made by this Org. The guy is giving you a great discount and you refuse to give him a NTC. It's just asinine to me. I have lost alot of respect for JR and KW and this Org. on the way this has all played out in the media and the way the Org. has handled this situation with MB. Whatever happened to loyalty to your players and allegiance to players that have been nothing but the model of consistency on and off the field. They expect the fans to be loyal, yet they aren't loyal to their own players. I could understand if what MB was asking for was unreasonable, but to lose him because he wants a guarantee that he is gonna be here for 4 years is a damn shame. Like I said I have lost alot of respect for the whole Org. and as far as I am concerned if MB is traded I believe I am gonna have to question my loyalty and allegiance to this Orginazation. I know I may catch alot of heat for that statement, but it's just the way I feel. I feel as a fan that JR and KW aren't as committed to winning as they say, allowing the face of your franchise to get away.

Edited by diegotony06

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 05:18 PM)
Of course talks are dead, one side is waiting to budge on the NTC deal. What else is too discuss until one side gives in?

Hopefully, Reinsdorf gets off his ridiculous position, and get something done because this is plain stupid.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 05:34 PM)
I would go so far as to suggest that it is an embarassment to White Sox fans.

I don't disagree. It's one thing if the White Sox and Buerhle can't agree on a dollar amount/length of contract, but to a trade happen because he wants to stay is absurd.

Honestly, I won't be upset if Buehrle is traded. Not that I don't believe he's a good pitcher or important to the franchise, it's just, I'm not confident we'll be in position to reach the playoffs until 2010. No one from within can replace Buehrle, yes, but I'm more confident Gonzalez can replace his production than positional prospects replacing Iguchi or Dye. Yes, even Dye and his .220 average.

I will be upset if Buehrle is traded for nothing. Even considering the possibility whichever team trades for him won't resign. As has been discussed before, the various ways of collecting talent is limited with the White Sox. Williams needs to come ahead in trades. If we're offered crap for Buehrle, may as well retain him until the end of the season and take the draft picks. Whether they're for the 30 range or not.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 05:58 PM)
Honestly, I won't be upset if Buehrle is traded. Not that I don't believe he's a good pitcher or important to the franchise, it's just, I'm not confident we'll be in position to reach the playoffs until 2010. No one from within can replace Buehrle, yes, but I'm more confident Gonzalez can replace his production than positional prospects replacing Iguchi or Dye. Yes, even Dye and his .220 average.

I will be upset if Buehrle is traded for nothing. Even considering the possibility whichever team trades for him won't resign. As has been discussed before, the various ways of collecting talent is limited with the White Sox. Williams needs to come ahead in trades. If we're offered crap for Buehrle, may as well retain him until the end of the season and take the draft picks. Whether they're for the 30 range or not.

agreed! :notworthy

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 06:01 PM)
agreed! :notworthy

I think he is all but guarateed to be traded. I don't see Williams looking to collect draft picks as much as he will try to retool the team for next season. I think if they trade Buerhle, they won't compete, but I think Williams has a different vision.

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well if this is true and they trade MB, I believe this will go down as one of the dumbest moves ever made by this Org. The guy is giving you a great discount and you refuse to give him a NTC. It's just asinine to me. I have lost alot of respect for JR and KW and this Org. on the way this has all played out in the media and the way the Org. has handled this situation with MB. Whatever happened to loyalty to your players and allegiance to players that have been nothing but the model of consistency on and off the field. They expect the fans to be loyal, yet they aren't loyal to their own players. I could understand if what MB was asking for was unreasonable, but to lose him because he wants a guarantee that he is gonna be here for 4 years is a damn shame. Like I said I have lost alot of respect for the whole Org. and as far as I am concerned if MB is traded I believe I am gonna have to question my loyalty and allegiance to this Orginazation. I know I may catch alot of heat for that statement, but it's just the way I feel. I feel as a fan that JR and KW aren't as committed to winning as they say, allowing the face of your franchise to get away.

:cheers

Its nice to know the Sox still are using that "we have 12 games against Cleveland left and 13 against Detroit" crap they used prior to winning a WS. If the White Sox baseball people still think this roster, with this bullpen in particular, is a championship contender, its time JR set them straight and passed out a few pink slips. Ozzie's still waiting for a run. That's rich.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 07:16 PM)
Its nice to know the Sox still are using that "we have 12 games against Cleveland left and 13 against Detroit" crap they used prior to winning a WS. If the White Sox baseball people still think this roster, with this bullpen in particular, is a championship contender, its time JR set them straight and passed out a few pink slips. Ozzie's still waiting for a run. That's rich.
If the Sox sweep the rest of the games vs Cleveland, they will still be 1GB. At least they have a real shot vs Detroit if they win all 13, they would be 1 up on Detroit for the Wild Card.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 10:55 PM)
Things are going to get so ugly at the park if Buehrle is traded. Being there all day today, the fans have so much hatred for this organization right now.

I've gotta watch my words here...

I'm gonna love having Mark on the team when we have an 75-85 million dollar payroll and we're right back in 4th place next year. Please ask these 'fans' what they expect the team to look like next year. These people upset me for some reason. I'm sure that I'm just to excepting, but I can look at the reality and see that this team will really bad for the next few years, do these 'fans' just assume next year is gonna be swell? That Mark and Jon will be resigned that Ichiro and Rowand are going to come in and we'll be stylin' in 08?

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 04:18 AM)
I've gotta watch my words here...

I'm gonna love having Mark on the team when we have an 75-85 million dollar payroll and we're right back in 4th place next year. Please ask these 'fans' what they expect the team to look like next year. These people upset me for some reason. I'm sure that I'm just to excepting, but I can look at the reality and see that this team will really bad for the next few years, do these 'fans' just assume next year is gonna be swell? That Mark and Jon will be resigned that Ichiro and Rowand are going to come in and we'll be stylin' in 08?

Oh trust me, as much as I want Buehrle back, I understand completely why we'd look to trade him. However, KW has handled these negotiations so poorly, and if we end up trading him in the next 2 weeks, it's going to make some pissed-off fans even angrier.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 11:21 PM)
Oh trust me, as much as I want Buehrle back, I understand completely why we'd look to trade him. However, KW has handled these negotiations so poorly, and if we end up trading him in the next 2 weeks, it's going to make some pissed-off fans even angrier.

Personally, I've had enough of these types of people.

They need to get this issue resolved now, because I cannot deal with it anymore.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 04:29 AM)
Personally, I've had enough of these types of people.

They need to get this issue resolved now, because I cannot deal with it anymore.

I want the bandwagon people to stay around as long as possible....our payroll's going to have to stay relatively high if we want there to be a chance to get our talent level back to respectable levels in the next few years.

The only thing KW did wrong was to let himself get played by Mark Buehrle. If MB is so sick of all the rumors then maybe he should have told his people not to leak things to the media. If he wants to avoid the media why is he cleaning out his locker in front of them, he is stiring the pot to get some publicity and drive those free agent dollars up.

I'll give MB credit. He is playing this out to perfection and he will get the payday he is looking for.