Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 02:29 PM)

I really think this puts Weber's job in significant jeopardy. Gillespie (sp?) will be recruiting Chicago very hard with Webster on his staff, and I don't think Weber can compete with Izzo, Matta, Sampson, Self, Gillespie, Calipari, etc. Richmond's family reaffirmed his commitment to UI, but I really think the writing is on the wall. The fact the Webster made a lateral move to leave UI is in itself interesting, and can easily be spun very negatively. It's just a bad situation.

On the plus side, US News ranked UI the 8th or 9th best public university in the US. So there's that....

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 10:03 PM)
I really think this puts Weber's job in significant jeopardy. Gillespie (sp?) will be recruiting Chicago very hard with Webster on his staff, and I don't think Weber can compete with Izzo, Matta, Sampson, Self, Gillespie, Calipari, etc. Richmond's family reaffirmed his commitment to UI, but I really think the writing is on the wall. The fact the Webster made a lateral move to leave UI is in itself interesting, and can easily be spun very negatively. It's just a bad situation.

On the plus side, US News ranked UI the 8th or 9th best public university in the US. So there's that....

the only thing that will put weber's job in significant jeopardy is if the team starts losing on the court. now, it can be theorized that this will hurt the program, but i do find it funny that so many people who have been clamoring for an assistant coach change for months are now sounding the program's death knell because an assistant coach left.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 09:20 AM)
the only thing that will put weber's job in significant jeopardy is if the team starts losing on the court. now, it can be theorized that this will hurt the program, but i do find it funny that so many people who have been clamoring for an assistant coach change for months are now sounding the program's death knell because an assistant coach left.

I agree that wins and losses will be the determining factor, but given the ebbing talent level at UI I think the losses will come. Losing Richmond, as seems likely, will probably be the last straw. I think Weber's tenure at UI will look a lot like Mike Davis' at Indiana.

If people have been calling for Webster to go, they were idiots. Webster has repeatedly been mentioned very positively by every recruit he's worked with. The fact that Gillispie hired Webster speaks volumes about his abilities. The UI assistant coaches aren't responsible for UI's recruiting woes.

Q. Watkins did not qualify and is not directly headed to Illinois either. He will have to go to prep school or a J.C. for at least one semester now. I wonder if he won't just stay the year at a prep school and open up his recruitment for next year again.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE(JuiceCruz16 @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 06:48 PM)
Q. Watkins did not qualify and is not directly headed to Illinois either. He will have to go to prep school or a J.C. for at least one semester now. I wonder if he won't just stay the year at pa prep school and open up his recruitment for next year again.

I'll be stunned if he doesn't stay on the west coast.

Weber's job isn't actually in jeopardy until he starts losing and missing the tournament, but that will begin this season so in a sense give it several months and he's in trouble. Also, Watkins will never make it anywhere near campus, so don't hold your breath, and the Jereme Richmond de-commit is coming any day now.

Last month I said in here that Bertrand to SIU was a done deal. I'm never going to say anything is a done deal from now on until the LOI is signed. SIU still leads for Bertrand but it looks like we might get a recruting battle between CLo and Bruce.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 05:06 PM)
Last month I said in here that Bertrand to SIU was a done deal. I'm never going to say anything is a done deal from now on until the LOI is signed. SIU still leads for Bertrand but it looks like we might get a recruting battle between CLo and Bruce.

Yeah whoever gave you the Bertrand info, while I believe is a trusted source, had bad info on Bertrand. It's been an even battle between SIU and Illinois for several months now, and probably will remain that way until signing day. Unless of course, Bertrand is lying to my face when I talk to him about it. :lol: So yeah, in this case, I REALLY trust my source.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 05:12 PM)
Yeah whoever gave you the Bertrand info, while I believe is a trusted source, had bad info on Bertrand. It's been an even battle between SIU and Illinois for several months now, and probably will remain that way until signing day. Unless of course, Bertrand is lying to my face when I talk to him about it. :lol: So yeah, in this case, I REALLY trust my source.

Well fair enough but I've heard other things and I still think SIU has a lead here. Not what it was before hand but we'll see. JB is visiting Champaign with Diamond Taylor this weekend so we'll see what happens. I like Bruce more than most Illinois fans but I'll still take my chances with Lowery here in a battle between him and Bruce. Should be interesting, we'll see what happens.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 05:16 PM)
Well fair enough but I've heard other things and I still think SIU has a lead here. Not what it was before hand but we'll see. JB is visiting Champaign with Diamond Taylor this weekend so we'll see what happens. I like Bruce more than most Illinois fans but I'll still take my chances with Lowery here in a battle between him and Bruce. Should be interesting, we'll see what happens.

Oh if you were asking me to guess where he's going, I would tell you SIU while Taylor is going to Illinois. I'm just saying it's basically dead even right now, and the visit to Champaign might decide it. Oh, and dont ask me when I have friends and family in Sterling effin Illinois, but I do, so there ya go on Bertrand. :lol:

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 05:18 PM)
Oh if you were asking me to guess where he's going, I would tell you SIU while Taylor is going to Illinois. I'm just saying it's basically dead even right now, and the visit to Champaign might decide it. Oh, and dont ask me when I have friends and family in Sterling effin Illinois, but I do, so there ya go on Bertrand. :lol:

I'd agree with you there. Whatever though, I'm just going to wait and see. Playing with the big boys recruiting wise is both fun and exhausting so I'm just going to let everything play out here.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 7, 2007 -> 09:56 AM)
Wow, everything I've posted in this thread has just been completely wrong. No more information from me unless I'm 100 percent sure. I've made myself look like a moron.

I think there's a big difference between being wrong and looking like a moron. I've done both on this board, so you should trust me on this -- I don't think your posts make you look like a moron. So, just my opinion, but I hope you won't let being not 100% certain stop you from posting.

As far UK and UI recruiting go, it will be interesting to see when Jereme Richmond announces his breaking his verbal to UI and heading to Kentucky instead. Honestly, I think he'd be foolish not to. He apparently has NBA potential and UK will be a much healthier situation.

Don't worry about it Rowand. I knew that would be part of the fun in creating a recruiting thread, you might be 100% sure of information one minute and then 30 minutes later the 18-20 year old kid changes his mind again. That's why a lot of guru's have stopped predicting the destination of recruits, they end up looking foolish and have fans mad at them.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 7, 2007 -> 09:56 AM)
Wow, everything I've posted in this thread has just been completely wrong. No more information from me unless I'm 100 percent sure. I've made myself look like a moron.

Nah, don't worry about it. The Darius Miller thing was close, but Webster was the guy recruting him for Illinois, so once Webster went to Kentucky, obviously Miller was going with him. And nobody knew Webster was going to leave, so yeah. And as for Bertrand....ALL the SIU fans jumped the gun on that one. There were all wrong from the start, but you weren't alone there either.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Sep 7, 2007 -> 10:10 AM)
I think there's a big difference between being wrong and looking like a moron. I've done both on this board, so you should trust me on this -- I don't think your posts make you look like a moron. So, just my opinion, but I hope you won't let being not 100% certain stop you from posting.

As far UK and UI recruiting go, it will be interesting to see when Jereme Richmond announces his breaking his verbal to UI and heading to Kentucky instead. Honestly, I think he'd be foolish not to. He apparently has NBA potential and UK will be a much healthier situation.

Isn't Richmond in the 2010 class? If the kid decommits from Illinois, he should just shut up and chill out. The concept of a kid committing that young is just stupid. What if Webster gets a different job in the next two years. What if he takes a head coaching position at UNC-Wilmington or Drexel or someplace like that? What if he gets a DUI and gets fired?

A 15-16yr old kid committing to a college based on a relationship with an assistant is just idiotic. Kids that age can change their minds faster than the wind can change directions. I don't care where he ends up, I just can't stand the idea that he can be "committed" to anywhere 3 yrs ahead of time.

four-star quarterback jacob charest out of charlotte, nc, committed to illinois over the weekend. he chose illinois over iowa, boston college, and oregon. great get and really sets the program up at the quarterback position for the foreseeable future.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 02:03 PM)
Charest has one of the strongest arms in the nation, very good get. He has some tremendous teammates as well, especially DB's.

it sounds like he plays on a pretty good team because his team has been just killing their opponents. dude had seven touchdown passes last week.