Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Sep 18, 2007 -> 01:45 PM)
Indiana has supposedly taken the lead for Zeller, after a hard recruiting push from Sampson. I don't expect to pluck him away from his home state even though he had a great visit.

Shumpert is very intelligent about the recruiting game and plays everything close to his vest, so to speak, so it's really hard to get a feel about him. One day I think UNC looks good, then the next he's talking up Hewitt's use of big guards, then the next he's praising Dwyane Wade's progression from Tom Crean. Who knows.

He's just waiting to shock the world and go to SIU. You'll see. :P

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 14, 2007 -> 11:23 PM)
The 12 day rule is accurate, but I think the 12 days would be in regards to NIU since he's coming here. I can tell you that our 12th academic day was on Wednesday the 12th, and I was told he got here either Monday or Tuesday, so it sure as hell sounds like he'll be eligible to play next year. Either way, it's all but 100 percent he's an NIU QB now, and that's big news and exciting for us. As I check their site map (ND), they don't get labor day off like we did, but ND started classes a day later than us (Tuesday the 28th to our Monday the 27th), so if the 12 day rule applies to ND the 12th day is still Wednesday the 12th.

Sounds like ND is refusing to let Jones out of his scholarship so he will be paying his way at NIU this year. If I was an opposing coach I would be all over this stuff. Jones gets one half before he gets benched and then they won't even let him out of his scholarship. A good recruiter will have a field day with this.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 19, 2007 -> 03:23 AM)
Sounds like ND is refusing to let Jones out of his scholarship so he will be paying his way at NIU this year. If I was an opposing coach I would be all over this stuff. Jones gets one half before he gets benched and then they won't even let him out of his scholarship. A good recruiter will have a field day with this.

i'm not sure that the chicago public league has typically been a fertile recruiting ground for notre dame because i can only think of a handful of cpl'ers who've played there down through the years (zorich and corey mays are the only two that jump to mind). that said, i think this is a mistake on nd's part and could hamper any future recruiting efforts there. as an illinois fan, i'm all for it.

Again news for probably just me and Juice, but Arthur Brown the top defensive player in the nation named his top 5 who will get official visits and they are Alabama, LSU, Southern Cal, Miami, and UNC.

*Starts singing* Which of these is not like the other? Which of these does not belong?

Anyways, it would be amazing to get the top defensive player in the country two years in a row.

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Sep 18, 2007 -> 02:50 PM)
I sure hope your right about Zeller. Sampson picked up a 3 star big man out of Ohio yesterday in Tom Pritchard.
Word is that Pritchard and Roth are fairly good friends with Zeller and would have been marginal recruits by IU if they weren't. The cynics are saying they were signed just to hopefully entice Zeller to come along, and if he does go elsewhere Sampson won't be exactly "stuck" with them, but he won't be thrilled either.

Zeller apparently mentioned to Carolina reporters after his visit that Norte Dame has some catching up to do and is a distant fourth, but played everything else pretty close to the vest about IU, Purdue, and NC. He mentioned that NC had the best style for his game he likes the up tempo part of the big men games at Carolina, but he quickly mentioned thet IU and Purdue are both making strides in that area as well.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 19, 2007 -> 10:26 PM)
Illinois has traded Tracy Webster to Kentucky for Jerrance Howard.

good hire. i'm happy to have jerrance back. admittedly he is not the most experienced candidate, but that's my only reservation. the discussion about hiring a "chicago" or "cpl" guy was way overblown.

Yeah, not much to it. Marvin Williams and Sean May were on campus with Raymond Felton playing pick-up ball in the summer like UNC alumni do each year and Iman played with them. Sean May and Marvin are also students at UNC now and were talking to him about coming to UNC, so there's not problems there, but Felton was also talking to him on the court and wasn't enrolled at the time. So they are looking into seeing just how much contact he had with Iman.

Here's a good quote from Zeller about it,

Did you talk to any of the NBA Tar Heels during the weekend ? “Yeah I talked to them all. I talked to them at the tailgate and at the football game. They weren’t allowed to just sit down and talk to us. "

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Sep 20, 2007 -> 09:33 AM)
good hire. i'm happy to have jerrance back. admittedly he is not the most experienced candidate, but that's my only reservation. the discussion about hiring a "chicago" or "cpl" guy was way overblown.

The best part about this hire is that he LOVES Illinois. And that sure can't hurt in recruiting, no matter where or who. Nice job, Bruce.

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 20, 2007 -> 01:33 PM)
Rumor has it that Colton Iverson has committed to the Gophers. He was also recruited by Nebraska, Iowa, and the defending champions Florida Gators.

Yeah, it's been figured that he's going there for a while. ISU didn't offer him after the elite camp here and Florida decided to go over his head, so it was really down to Nebraska and Minnesota.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 09:56 PM)
Taylor Bell reports there's pretty intense dissatisfaction with the hire in the CPL. If you read the linked entry, it doesn't sound good.

interesting that you didn't link the blog item from the sun-times that features the director of cpl basketball lauding the hire. whatever fits your agenda, i guess.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 09:48 PM)
Maybe, maybe not. A 2nd peoria guy with no Chicago connections does seem like a bit of a strange way to go...

well, do you know what connections he does have? if you don't, it's presumptive to say he doesn't.

jimmy collins is from new york, but he had no problems developing good relationships within the city. tracy webster on the other hand, reportedly had ironclad cpl connections but delivered a grand-total of zero cpl players.

besides, the idea that any one hire was going to serve as a magic bullet that solves the programs city problems is unrealistic and shows no real knowledge of what the city is about. people love to paint it as a single entity with a single opinion and that's not what it is.

fwiw, my favorite for the hire was gates because i thought he was more experienced and had ironclad connections with whitney young, which has the best collection of city talent. but he wasn't hired so oh, well. i have every confidence jerrance's personality and work ethic will serve him well. and that's no homer view, because i think i've been pretty objective here in assessing illinois's hits and misses.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 07:21 PM)
well, do you know what connections he does have? if you don't, it's presumptive to say he doesn't.

I meant that he has no clear connection to Chicago. He's a peoria guy, and illinois already has one of those.

Like I said, just seemed like a bit of a strange way to go with a Chicago guy seeming like a more logical approach.

Edited by SleepyWhiteSox

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Sep 18, 2007 -> 01:45 PM)
Indiana has supposedly taken the lead for Zeller, after a hard recruiting push from Sampson. I don't expect to pluck him away from his home state even though he had a great visit.

Zeller visits IU this weekend. Lots of rumors flying around, but the latest is that IU has a slight lead over UNC. I'd be somewhat surprised if Purdue is not still realistically in it though. In the end, I think the lure of playing close to home with a talented bunch and the tradition of IU will win out. UNC's strengths are obvious, but the distance and the ability to be a great player for the home state University that is only an hour or so away from home may just be too great for them to overcome.

All that said, is the guy really that good? I guess I just haven't seen enough video but six months ago, based on what I had seen, I wasn't convinced. I guess one of the things that give him great allure for teams, is people think he will be a four-year player and not one likely to try and jump to the NBA.

Well I have heard some things that make me feel better about Zeller to UNC than I ever have. I still think it's IU though, hard for me to shake that.

Zeller is a very good transition big man Rex, he's a very good passing big man and he runs the floor suprisingly well. He's not blessed with lots of offensive moves, or strength, but he's got time to develop both.