Official Recruiting Thread II

IU recruit Elston tore his minescus, tough break for the kis and the beleagered Hoosiers. I heard that McCamey's kid brother Deandre? (uncommitted) blew his knee out recently as well. I wish the best for both of them in their recoveries

Edited by JuiceCruz16

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ May 14, 2008 -> 12:29 PM)
Rivals updated 2009 rankings have come out. The two names that have been raved about this summer both have jumped up. John Wall has moved to #1 overall. John Henson has leaped to #5 overall. Both have wowed them this summer.

I'm thrilled to see Henson dominate, but the Wear twins actually fell to 54/55 respectivley, while Dex. Strickland stayed solid at #16 for the Tarheel commits.

Illinois is represented by Paul at #49, Richardson at #57, Bertrand at #77, and Griffey at #123.

Scout updates are out as well. My Tarheels guys were very similar to rivals: Henson #4, Strickland #12 Wear twins #52 &53.

Illini recruits varied much more according to Scout's rankings: Richardson #60, Griffey #80, Paul #95, and Bertarand missed the top 100 (only getting a 3 star ranking).

Favors gets the Scout top nod for the best in the land, while Rivals top man Wall ranked #3 with Scout.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

Arizona signee Emmanuel Negedu has asked Lute Olsen to release him from his LOI. Olsen visited Negedu to convince him otherwise, but Negedu says he won't be attending Arizona no matter what... The 2 schools Negedu is looking at now are Tennessee and Indiana.

Apparently Negedu's guardian lives in Bloomington and the Hoosiers are also about to sign Tijan Jobe, a juco center. Jobe is a native of Nigeria like Negedu and they both are apparently good friends. Good news for the Hoosiers.

My brother got the chance to go to the TOC tonight at UNC. It's a great weekend of games, and he said the following: John Wall is very good, but he doesn't necessarily make people around him better. Favors isn't as tall as advertised, and is nowhere close to being a finished product. Jereme Richmond was unimpressive (unlike me, my brother is a U of I fan). He said Richmond was getting frustrated any possession he didn't touch the ball. But get this...according to my brother, one of the top 3 players at the event tonight was Marcus Jordan.

Wall had an off tournament, he plays much more under control on his high school team. Still, it's pretty clear that John Wall and Brandon Knight(2010) are the two best PG's in high school right now.

Favors is a grown man, even with his stupid sucker elbow that knocked a kid unconcious. He's clearly the best player in the 09 class regardless of Rivals ranking, even with Wall catching up lately.

Nolan Dennis really layed an egg all tournament long.

I love the TOC, I wait for it all year long after attending a few years ago. It's an awesome site. Unfortunately the talent is decreasing each year for big AAU events as Shoe companies are starting their own tournaments and forcing talent to attend those instead.

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE (fathom @ May 26, 2008 -> 04:24 PM)
My brother told me that Joseph Bertrand really stunk at the tournament, and that Jordan continued to play very well.

The few times I saw him last year with Sterling, he was less than impressive. I think Brandon Paul and Crandall Head will be good for Illinois, but the other guys have question marks. Richardson should be ok as well.

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ May 27, 2008 -> 03:56 PM)
Buzz gets one of Wisconsin's best to stay in state and go to Marquette. Jeronne Maymon is a solid 4 star with some size. The "BUZZ" era is starting to settle in.

Yeah -- he's got Erik Williams for that class, too, so that's two top 100 recruits for that 2009-2010 class.

I'm still somewhat horrified at the prospects of the post James-Matthews-Mcneal era, but so far, so good for Buzz.

QUOTE (CWSGuy406 @ May 30, 2008 -> 01:04 PM)
Yeah -- he's got Erik Williams for that class, too, so that's two top 100 recruits for that 2009-2010 class.

I'm still somewhat horrified at the prospects of the post James-Matthews-Mcneal era, but so far, so good for Buzz.

I see now that Maymon has a big time acedemic problem and Wisconsin and others backed off even looking at him because of it. Marquette will have to monitor this closely or they may not have such a nice catch after all.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 26, 2008 -> 11:16 PM)
Some more local tidbits I've heard from TOC....Cully Payne, who's a DePaul verbal, made Jereme Richmond look like a saint on the court in comparison. The term "asshole" was used to describe him.

He's not a DePaul verbal anymore. Great call by both parties. He's not really a BE-caliber player...

Some big name guys are struggling with making the grade to pass the NCAA clearinghouse. Deandre Liggins has a learning disability so he can continue to take the ACT/SAT as many times as he needs, but word is he does not look good to qualify. DeRozen and Jennings have yet to qualify as well, and time is running short for them.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 12:15 PM)
Some big name guys are struggling with making the grade to pass the NCAA clearinghouse. Deandre Liggins has a learning disability so he can continue to take the ACT/SAT as many times as he needs, but word is he does not look good to qualify. DeRozen and Jennings have yet to qualify as well, and time is running short for them.

I hope Liggins actually has a learning disability and he's not just using it to get more attempts at the ACT. I have heard that it's not that hard to get an exemption for extra time or multiple attempts on the ACT if one actually wants it. I wouldn't be surprised if people used the system that way to acheive in athletics. But hopefully that is not the case.

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 01:15 PM)

What's the latest on the Nate Miles situation involving academic qualification?

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jun 17, 2008 -> 05:33 PM)
Negedu to Tennesee.

In the words of Stuart Scott (even though he sucks)... Booya! Hadn't heard about it till I read your post, so thanks.

Edited by dasox24