Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 11:24 PM)
I doubt Kendrick Nunn is going to Illinois though to not start until his senior year (assuming Hill start as the SF).

Nunn would have to make pretty large strides (which he might) to start over Cosby. Cosby is going to help with spacing a ton if Abrams and rice are in the lineup (a RS senior is more likely to start over hill at the 3, but we obviously haven't seen hill play a game yet).

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 11:16 PM)
Saw him play a lot in the Big East, and he's a solid player but I see him as more of a 6th man for Illinois. He'll be a good fit for their perimeter based offense as long as he doesn't have to make a lot of decisions with the ball.

It appears he can shoot, and we don't have a lot of guys on this roster that can shoot right now, so I'll take it.

For those of you tuned into IU's scholarship situation, G Remy Abell will transfer. No major surprise. Abell started the year strong, was very average (I think I'm being generous) during Big Ten play and then finished with a couple of decent games toward the end. Averaged 12.5 min/game.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Apr 13, 2013 -> 12:10 PM)
For those of you tuned into IU's scholarship situation, G Remy Abell will transfer. No major surprise. Abell started the year strong, was very average (I think I'm being generous) during Big Ten play and then finished with a couple of decent games toward the end. Averaged 12.5 min/game.

Definitely disappointed me this year, seemed like he was growing in effectiveness last year, and then didn't seem like he belonged on the court this year.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Apr 13, 2013 -> 11:10 AM)

The other downside of being talented, you lose players that could probably play elsewhere because your team is just that deep. The last 3-4 years we've been leaching 4 star players because they cant see the court the way they thought they would.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 01:03 PM)
The other downside of being talented, you lose players that could probably play elsewhere because your team is just that deep. The last 3-4 years we've been leaching 4 star players because they cant see the court the way they thought they would.

He had every opportunity to earn more PT this year and failed to do so.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 12:23 PM)
Where is he going? MAC bound?

Well, he's from Louisville and was originally committed to Bradley before Jim Les was fired a few years ago. Maybe back to the MVC?

He could still play a lot or even start in a power conference if he wants, though. Maybe not an elite team, but a good one. Like the caliber of this year's Minnesota team.

Not sure what's going on with Abell. Said he wants more playing time, but that is an opportunity he should have next year at IU. Apparently, his family wants him to stay and his mother drove to IU this past weekend to meet with Coach Crean personally. IU has left the door open for him, at least for now. Yesterday, his former HS coach was quoted as saying that Abell reconsidered, but has chosen to move on for sure. Nothing from Abell directly though.

His HS coach mentioned that he lost confidence during the middle of this season (it showed on the floor) and was affected by Zeller leaving to go to the NBA (guess they are close friends). Also said he is getting conflicting information and some people are telling him to leave and others to stay. My guess is his confidence isn't still where it should be and he's worried about incoming frosh playing ahead of him. That's definitely possible, but sometimes in life you gotta be willing to compete. Maybe he thought since being a junior and being a key player was not guaranteed, he needed a change of scenery? Regardless, best of luck to him. Seems to be a good kid. He is still able to use IU's facilities to work out, get academic support and whatever help he needs finding a new school.

Kind of reminds me of Nick Williams, a kid from Mobile who transferred out of IU after Crean's first year wanting more PT. Key was, he started 25 games and averaged around 27/mpg. He ended up at Ole Miss and played 31/mpg and 25/mpg his Jr and Sr years respectively.

Roy Schmidt (@prepbullseye)

4/18/13, 9:37 AM

In case anyone missed it 6'11 2014 C Jahlil Okafor will host in-homes w/ Duke, Mich St, Baylor & Kansas next week. Ohio St was already in.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 12:50 PM)
Who else does he have coming in next year?

Possibly Cliff Alexander, who is likely (but not certain) to be a one and done. Definitely less odds of being one compared to JO.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 01:02 PM)
Possibly Cliff Alexander, who is likely (but not certain) to be a one and done. Definitely less odds of being one compared to JO.

Is Duke even in the picture for Cliff? Most people are saying it's between Illinois and MSU at this point.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 01:04 PM)
Is Duke even in the picture for Cliff? Most people are saying it's between Illinois and MSU at this point.

Ugh for some reason I was replacing Duke with MSU.

Disregard my post then.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 12:47 AM)
This is probably one of the best mixtapes I've ever seen and the kid is only 14. Insane. I don't know how to imbed...

http://youtu.be/HJO4uw1Nn1o

Is his name really Seventh? Ugh.

He does have quite the handle that's for sure. Wonder if Kentucky's already offered him a scholarship?

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

Tommy Hamilton commits to DePaul.

Not a fan of his but if DePaul can land Paul White to play with him, that would be interesting for that program. Already have the kid from Morgan Park at guard.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 08:46 PM)
Roy Schmidt (@prepbullseye)

4/23/13, 8:39 PM

Current D1 scholarship offers for Jalen Brunson: SMU, Purdue, Xavier, DePaul, Illinois, Virginia, Creighton.

That is pretty sad company for Purdue and Illinois to be in. Mid Major central.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 24, 2013 -> 06:57 AM)
That is pretty sad company for Purdue and Illinois to be in. Mid Major central.

Jalen is just a sophomore. Bigger schools will come and those mid majors will go bye bye from the picture.