Official Recruiting Thread II

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 1, 2014 -> 11:53 PM)
And Tatum's Top 10 (2016).

Someone come here.

Just hoping we are the bride instead of the bridesmaid for once. Love DJ and Jordan, but you gotta sprinkle in five stars. Once Groce gets his first one, I think the flood gates should open (though our last five-star was also instrumental in the the firing of Weber)

A couple of months ago, I laughed at Illini fans who thought Brunson would actually go there but from what I've heard the past 2 weeks, it wouldn't shock me.

Even though I'm not an Illinois fan, it would be nice if some of these bigger named high school kids I cover stayed in state.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 06:02 AM)
A couple of months ago, I laughed at Illini fans who thought Brunson would actually go there but from what I've heard the past 2 weeks, it wouldn't shock me.

Even though I'm not an Illinois fan, it would be nice if some of these bigger named high school kids I cover stayed in state.

Yup it's a real possibility. I could see him deciding after the Nova visit, I just hope it doesnt get to the MSU visit.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 07:46 AM)
Yup it's a real possibility. I could see him deciding after the Nova visit, I just hope it doesnt get to the MSU visit.

He'll take all his visits. Temple was in it until his pops got arrested.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 07:09 AM)
Sounds like getting away from his father for a bit might be good for the kid. That seems like a grade A d-bag.

Sure does. He sounds like the kind of guy who's going to play "assistant coach" whether the son's head coach likes it or not. I sometimes wonder if that makes Jalen even worth the trouble, but I'm sure Groce (or anyone else) would take it.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 02:23 PM)
Sure does. He sounds like the kind of guy who's going to play "assistant coach" whether the son's head coach likes it or not. I sometimes wonder if that makes Jalen even worth the trouble, but I'm sure Groce (or anyone else) would take it.

Jawun Evans is at 100% on that crystal ball thing (not that it means too much) and he's visiting champaign this weekend. If he commits before Brunson, I just can't see Brunson going to Illinois. I wouldn't mind being wrong...

QUOTE (Boogua @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 03:17 PM)
Jawun Evans is at 100% on that crystal ball thing (not that it means too much) and he's visiting champaign this weekend. If he commits before Brunson, I just can't see Brunson going to Illinois. I wouldn't mind being wrong...

Groce could sell them on being the two starting guards, both with the ball a good portion of the game ala Dee and DWill.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 03:25 PM)
Groce could sell them on being the two starting guards, both with the ball a good portion of the game ala Dee and DWill.

The problem is that I'm sure he's trying to sell both of them that they can be the starting PG from day 1 with Tracy graduating and only Tate in front of them. He can't promise them both starting positions because there is no way one of them starts over a JR Nunn or a SR Cosby.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 03:31 PM)
The problem is that I'm sure he's trying to sell both of them that they can be the starting PG from day 1 with Tracy graduating and only Tate in front of them. He can't promise them both starting positions because there is no way one of them starts over a JR Nunn or a SR Cosby.

Probably true.

At this point I think i'd rather have Evans. All the reports from the AAU stuff this summer was that he was the most impressive PG in the country.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 03:31 PM)

I think you've nailed other coach's pitches to him regarding why he shouldnt go to Illinois.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 03:25 PM)
I've never heard of Rick getting in coaches way. When I've seen him at games, he's usually just sitting and watching. Doesn't yell during the game anymore than other parents.

Ya, as I've told you before, I've heard Rick is a complete asshole but I don't think he really gets in the coaches way. On the other hand, Jalen from everything I've been told is a great kid.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 03:41 PM)
I think you've nailed other coach's pitches to him regarding why he shouldnt go to Illinois.

Not really. The only true PG on Illinois' roster next year is Tate and both Evans and Brunson will be better than him from day 1. Cosby can play some PG but he really is more of a SG.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 04:18 PM)
Not really. The only true PG on Illinois' roster next year is Tate and both Evans and Brunson will be better than him from day 1. Cosby can play some PG but he really is more of a SG.

Definitely Illinois pitch. Recruiting is crazy and the negative s*** out there is horrible lies most of the time.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 11:58 PM)
Definitely Illinois pitch. Recruiting is crazy and the negative s*** out there is horrible lies most of the time.

Playing time is a non-issue for one of them coming, but even if both crazily decided to come, it still wouldn't be a huge issue.

From what I know, Groce doesn't do negative recruiting. I think some coaches just simply won't do it. And, I think some recruits can be turned off by it. But yeah, recruiting is crazy.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 12:02 AM)
Playing time is a non-issue for one of them coming, but even if both crazily decided to come, it still wouldn't be a huge issue.

From what I know, Groce doesn't do negative recruiting. I think some coaches just simply won't do it. And, I think some recruits can be turned off by it. But yeah, recruiting is crazy.

Agreed, and frankly I like the guys who are turned off. I really like Groce and he recruits a lot like Thad, except with WAY more energy.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 12:09 AM)
He just eats the grounds. Dude is insane. One of the guys from Matta's tree that we always wanted as a successor.

I absolutely love Groce, as if you didn't know that already from the college ball thread the past 2 years. I know he hasn't "accomplished anything" yet but I'm behind him 100%. Maybe I'll be totally wrong on it but I think he's the guy to bring this program back to where it was/should be.

One of these recruits here is going to hit, just has to, and off we go.

It was a blessing in disguise, IMO, that Smart nor Stevens came here.