Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 7, 2014 -> 10:06 AM)
Ryan Baker @RyanBakerSports · 44m

It could be a VERY good morning for @JohnGroce & @IlliniHoops with Jawun Evans @Hungry_humble0 #Illini

Ryan Baker @RyanBakerSports · 27m

Tough decision for #IlliniHoops to make with in-state star Jalen Brunson still hanging & Jawun Evans ready to bite.

Why can't we get them both again?

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 7, 2014 -> 03:07 PM)
Why can't we get them both again?

We could, in theory, though "talk" has Brunson not wanting to play with another PG or something.

Anyway, there's a 0% chance Evans says he wants to commit, and Groce says hold on, let me see what Brunson has to say.

He would take the commit and be done with it. So that tweet either makes zero sense, or it's being used for another reason.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:12 PM)
Brunson announcing at 4pm Wednesday, down to Illinois and Villanova.

Let's see if B>W has a good source :D

And my prediction:

JB to Nova

JE to Illinois

Refuse to get sucked in....refuse to get sucked in... He's gonna pick up the Illini hat and put it back on the table. Sigh. I really thought MSU was the choice. Villanova. Ugh, they have had some good guards, but what's the connection there? And why play in a s***ty conference when you can play in the big ten?

Let's just get one. Please. If not, we're f***ed for a while. Someone at 24/7 switched their pick from ILL to OK State. Man that'd be a kick in the balls if we don't get either one.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:27 PM)
So if we're not first, we're second. Again.

As long as we get one of JE/JB then I really don't care, we just need one of them and the rest of the class will take care of itself.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:30 PM)
Refuse to get sucked in....refuse to get sucked in... He's gonna pick up the Illini hat and put it back on the table. Sigh. I really thought MSU was the choice. Villanova. Ugh, they have had some good guards, but what's the connection there? And why play in a s***ty conference when you can play in the big ten?

Let's just get one. Please. If not, we're f***ed for a while. Someone at 24/7 switched their pick from ILL to OK State. Man that'd be a kick in the balls if we don't get either one.

Dude take a deep breath and come off the ledge.

Jay Wright at Nova does a phenomenal job coaching guards, it allows Brunson a great opportunity while also getting out of Chicago/Illinois and away from the current spotlight on his dad. It would be a really good situation for him, I would totally get it.

I really think we are getting one of them, and that was Meyer who switched to OK St, I take that more as Evans didn't commit to Illinois so what's next. I think by the end of the week or next week we have our PG.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:30 PM)

He does that and he's the biggest loser to come out of Stevenson since Rowand44.

Oh, and not just someone...Meyer.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:31 PM)
As long as we get one of JE/JB then I really don't care, we just need one of them and the rest of the class will take care of itself.

I'm in 100% agreement. But if JB goes to Nova we go from 2 shots to 1, and came in second place again.

I think every single crystal ball and prediction will be Villanova, and "official" word will probably leak before Wednesday anyway. So unless it's a shock the world situation, Evans or bust.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:33 PM)
Dude take a deep breath and come off the ledge.

Jay Wright at Nova does a phenomenal job coaching guards, it allows Brunson a great opportunity while also getting out of Chicago/Illinois and away from the current spotlight on his dad. It would be a really good situation for him, I would totally get it.

I really think we are getting one of them, and that was Meyer who switched to OK St, I take that more as Evans didn't commit to Illinois so what's next. I think by the end of the week or next week we have our PG.

Illinois offers the starting job. At Nova he's a back-up for a year. Hopefully that's the big selling point.

Both apparently get an in-home visit tomorrow.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)
He does that and he's the biggest loser to come out of Stevenson since Rowand44.

Oh c'mon now...there's probably someone out there that's a bigger loser than me.

FWIW the person who told me Nova months back still thinks it's going to be them but said it's just a gut feeling at this point.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)

All Stevenson grads are tied for that, IMO.

Shocked he's not taking MSU visit.

I'm picking Illinois, but I'm always wrong, so...

And my source picks Nova as well.

Edited by Brian

Guy who's my source points out that all these kids like Jahlil. Cliff, and Jalen are close and cites the way Illinois fans treated Cliff after he chose Kansas as a reason kids won't go to Illinois, including Brunson.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 05:37 PM)
Guy who's my source points out that all these kids like Jahlil. Cliff, and Jalen are close and cites the way Illinois fans treated Cliff after he chose Kansas as a reason kids won't go to Illinois, including Brunson.

Ok so let me get this straight, they don't want to go to Illinois because fans don't like it when they chose a different school? Then why even bother putting Illinois on their list?

Seriously, just a stupid comment.

But then why would he seemingly go out of his way to invite that treatment by naming Illini as one of his final two? If true, that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 05:39 PM)
Ok so let me get this straight, they don't want to go to Illinois because fans don't like it when they chose a different school? Then why even bother putting Illinois on their list?

Seriously, just a stupid comment.

I don't think it's the main reason a kid would shun Illinois but your wrong if you think it doesn't play at least a small part.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 05:52 PM)
I don't think it's the main reason a kid would shun Illinois but your wrong if you think it doesn't play at least a small part.

Probably less then the amount of impact of having a fanbase that truly cares and is passionate on social media with recruits.

And I'm not oblivious, it's clear that too many Illinois fans are assholes to recruits that decide to go elsewhere, especially after the Cliff/Snider fiascos. The fanbase needs to get ready for big boy recruiting, that said, many recruits have singled out Illinois fans as a positive.

Meh, every fan base has assholes on twitter or whatever. That clearly is not any sort of big factor.

NO ONE would have given Cliff s*** if he just "picked" Kansas. The absolutely classless way he did so is was brought on the deserved heat. Any idiots of a fan base would have did the same thing after being disrespected like that.

I wish Illinois would lose every game they played, but I am not buying this. Illini fans are no different than any other school in regards to holding grudges against guys who stiffed their school. Although I do think they were a little oversensitive to the fake out in picking a hat. First off, it is a 17 year old kid, and secondly, the fake has been going on for years. The one and done guys choose from about 5 one and done schools.if Groce ever lands one of these guys and it all works out and the guy is a top pick after one year, he could be a part of that club. Until then, He will always be the underdog recruiting these types, but you have to give him credit for giving it a run. Many wouldn't bother.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 06:37 PM)

I hate Illinois, but your "source" blows. That's the dumbest thing I've ever read.

That's like me saying "I'm so excited for the direction of Indiana's basketball program under Tom Crean!"… It's stupid.