Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 11:45 AM)
SIU back on the big man recruiting trail after Dantiel Daniels announced he is transferring(sigh)

Liked his potential but just never healthy.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 12:09 PM)
Although I'm not a big fan of his, Mike Shaw would have been worth giving a shot.

has he already landed? I noticed he was mentioned on the SIU recruiting page

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 11:20 AM)
:P IU recruit Luke Fischer, Mr. Basketball in Wisconsin.

Heard great things about Loving. Irvin really turned it on late his junior year and never slowed down.

I've read some people who think Fischer will come in and start right away. I haven't seen too much video of Fischer, but I was under the impression he would probably be at about 10 minutes a game as a freshman. A little more playing time than Hollowell got this year.

Fischer is an odd one as Wisconsin never even offered a scholarship and his coach (Steve Showalter) is one of Bo Ryan's good friends.

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/201303...-s-Luke-Fischer

A lot of speculation is that the Badgers have been really badly burned by offering tall white Wisconsin players so Bo Ryan was taking a wait and see approach.

Regardless its extremely odd that Wisconsin never even offered a guy who went on to win Mr. Basketball. I think the other one was Jeronne Maymon, but that was because his father was insane.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 04:26 PM)
Fischer is an odd one as Wisconsin never even offered a scholarship and his coach (Steve Showalter) is one of Bo Ryan's good friends.

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/201303...-s-Luke-Fischer

A lot of speculation is that the Badgers have been really badly burned by offering tall white Wisconsin players so Bo Ryan was taking a wait and see approach.

Regardless its extremely odd that Wisconsin never even offered a guy who went on to win Mr. Basketball. I think the other one was Jeronne Maymon, but that was because his father was insane.

Sometimes coaches miss. OSU never offered hometown Burke either.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 12:25 PM)
I've read some people who think Fischer will come in and start right away. I haven't seen too much video of Fischer, but I was under the impression he would probably be at about 10 minutes a game as a freshman. A little more playing time than Hollowell got this year.

He's really started to blow up in the last year. ESPN moved him way, way up in their rankings and Rivals will soon follow according to their guys. He picked up Volleyball two years ago and his athleticism and explosion have really improved. It also helps that since his commitment a year and a half ago, he's grown 2-3 inches to put him at a legit 6'10"-11". He's not as fast, nor skilled as Zeller, but he's much longer. Would not surprise me in the least if he started. Now if Zeller stays...

Edited by He_Gawn

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 5, 2013 -> 10:03 AM)
Did your sentence trail off where you were going to add you would have to pull his scholly because of lack of room?

It trailed off because Zeller staying would be very, very good for Fischer. A frontline of Zeller, Vonleh, Fischer, and Perea would be pretty nasty in the B1G.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Apr 5, 2013 -> 09:10 AM)
It trailed off because Zeller staying would be very, very good for Fischer. A frontline of Zeller, Vonleh, Fischer, and Perea would be pretty nasty in the B1G.

Since Zeller needs to leave you have three kids with almost zero experience listed there. Usually not the recipe for "nasty."

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 5, 2013 -> 09:51 AM)
Since Zeller needs to leave you have three kids with almost zero experience listed there. Usually not the recipe for "nasty."

Zeller alone is a damn good frontcourt in modern NCAA basketball but if he leaves IU should be happy if they get decent play out of the front court. Based on his ranking alone I would expect Vonleh to be at least solid for IU next year. Perea got very limited minutes this year but was horrendous when he was on the floor so he needs to make a jump to even be serviceable. I know nothing about Fischer but big men with his ranking are rarely more than serviceable as freshman.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 5, 2013 -> 10:01 AM)
Zeller alone is a damn good frontcourt in modern NCAA basketball but if he leaves IU should be happy if they get decent play out of the front court. Based on his ranking alone I would expect Vonleh to be at least solid for IU next year. Perea got very limited minutes this year but was horrendous when he was on the floor so he needs to make a jump to even be serviceable. I know nothing about Fischer but big men with his ranking are rarely more than serviceable as freshman.

He almost has to leave per their plans. Right now they are over their limit. Oladipo and Zeller go pro, and then I assume Creek "voluntarily" goes off scholarship.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 10:28 AM)
I was actually surprised Jabari won Mr BBall in Illinois. He had a great last month but thought Okafor or Ullis should have. They'll be favorites for it next year.

Considering that the Tribune ran a daily section covering the Simeon basketball team, there was no way Jabari wouldn't win it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 5, 2013 -> 11:17 AM)
Considering that the Tribune ran a daily section covering the Simeon basketball team, there was no way Jabari wouldn't win it.

True. People don't realize it's a Tribune award as well. Suntimes clearly has better prep coverage IMO. I could be biased in that sentiment.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 5, 2013 -> 10:51 AM)

As stated earlier. Zeller alone is a good frontcourt. Add in Vonleh, more frontcourt talent than anyone in the bigten. He's the perfect "athletic" compliment to a skilled finesse big playing alongside him. Perea was really hurt by not being able to play against the "cupcakes" earlier in the year this year. He will continue to get better. Fischer will be a good 5-10 minute guy. A lesser, more athletic Zeller. Of course we're talking about the bigten. Not exactly a hotbed of frontcourt talent.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Apr 5, 2013 -> 11:43 AM)
As stated earlier. Zeller alone is a good frontcourt. Add in Vonleh, more frontcourt talent than anyone in the bigten. He's the perfect "athletic" compliment to a skilled finesse big playing alongside him. Perea was really hurt by not being able to play against the "cupcakes" earlier in the year this year. He will continue to get better. Fischer will be a good 5-10 minute guy. A lesser, more athletic Zeller. Of course we're talking about the bigten. Not exactly a hotbed of frontcourt talent.

As state earlier, who is out if Zeller stays?

Outside of that you have unproven guys who havent shown anything at the college level. Its good to be optimistic but those exact same things were said about these guys before this season and they didnt do jack s***.