Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 11, 2007 -> 02:45 PM)
The first one is for sure Simpson, that one is all but public already. The second one is kind of a mystery, but Joseph Bertrand is the name I am hearing the most, as he loved the Jerrance hire. However that is just a guess because I haven't talked to my friends in Sterling or at U of I today yet, but yeah the Simpson thing is a lock though. The other verbal could also be class of 2010 guard Anthony Johnson though. He's the #2 player in the state for 2010 behind Richmond, and his coach at Whitney Young has a very good relationship with Bruce. That is just total speculation though.

I've heard Bertrand as well but we all know how accurate I've been in this thread. Boo if true.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 11, 2007 -> 06:15 PM)
so how good are these guys? the IB and scout boards are going crazy, but I look at their rankings and they seem pretty average (both 3*). Should I be expecting a change in the rankings?

Richardson is ranked around 50 on Rivals and these two along with Bertrand and Colvin are considered the best players in the state. Paul was not evaluated by the national gurus this summer so that is why his ranking isn't that high. Both could end up being top 50 players, potentially higher. Don't forget that at this point last year Shumpert was a no name, Patrick Beverly was a no name until half way through his junior year, Sherron Collins was a 3 star till he exploded his junior year.

here's what scout.com's dave telep said about richardson:

"D.J. Richardson is a versatile wing player. He can team up at a couple of the guard spots. Forget the fact he is the top prospect in the Illinois 2009 class; he's also a very big character guy."

as 99 said paul didn't really start getting noticed until he played summer ball this year. he didn't start or score much as a sophomore last year, but he played really well at some national big-time events over the summer. the rivals illinois guy thinks paul has the most potential of all the players in 2009. fwiw.

So assuming Simpson commits, the Illini have one scholie for '08. wonder where they go with it. There's still a few top guys out there. I'm wondering if they're going to start going after Verdell Jones hard. Heard he's coming for MM, which I believe would make it 2 visits in a row for him. Only Kansas and Illinois seem to be seriously recruiting him, and KU may even have cooled on him.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 11, 2007 -> 11:49 PM)
So assuming Simpson commits, the Illini have one scholie for '08. wonder where they go with it. There's still a few top guys out there. I'm wondering if they're going to start going after Verdell Jones hard. Heard he's coming for MM, which I believe would make it 2 visits in a row for him. Only Kansas and Illinois seem to be seriously recruiting him, and KU may even have cooled on him.

i read verdell was going to midnight madness at kentucky.

either way, i'd almost be tempted to roll the scholarship over to 09. that class has more good kids we are in on and i'd rather roll the scholarship than reach on a kid.

Alright, after asking around.....well I'm still confused because basically nobody down there outside of Bruce and Jerrance knows EXACTLY what is going to happen this weekend, but here is what I know:

1. Stan Simpson is all but a done deal.

2. At Illini Midnight Madness: Simpson, Nik Garcia, Bertrand, Richmond, Richardson, Paul, Anthony Johnson (#2 in 2010 behind Richmond), Marcus Jordan (Jeff's brother), Crandall Head (Luther's brother), DeAndre McCamey, Tyler Griffey. I am pretty sure there are more, I've heard there will be 20 to 25 there, but those are the names I know.

3. I don't trust them quite as much as my friends downstate, so I won't say it's done like I am with Simpson, but Bertrand should be a verbal sometime between tomorrow and Sunday.

4. The Illini are in really, really, really good shape with Crandall Head and Anthony Johnson. I have no idea if either will verbal this weekend, but I would hope their is room for both of them is the news is as good on them right now as it seems.

5. Illinois is considering rolling over and only taking Simpson in 2008 due to the amount of quality guards in play here. Jordan Watts from Durham, North Carolina is a 2008 2 guard that the Illini have a shot at, but they might just bank it for a 2009 or 2010 in stater.

6. Amazingly, there may not be enough room for 1 or even 2 in the group of Chris Colvin, DeAndre McCamey, and Marcus Jordan, however if we bank the 2nd 2008 free ride, there would be room for 2 I believe and I'd assume not ALL 3 would choose Illinois obviously.

All in all, the 24 hour turn in recruiting has been staggering. Wow.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 11, 2007 -> 09:50 PM)
2. At Illini Midnight Madness: Simpson, Nik Garcia, Bertrand, Richmond, Richardson, Paul, Anthony Johnson (#2 in 2010 behind Richmond), Marcus Jordan (Jeff's brother), Crandall Head (Luther's brother), DeAndre McCamey, Tyler Griffey. I am pretty sure there are more, I've heard there will be 20 to 25 there, but those are the names I know.

Love the post, but one little correction is that Deandre McCamey will be at SIU's MM with his AAU coach (Bryan Mullins' dad).

Edit: And it is freaking awesome to be excited about basketball recruiting again.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

I see Brandon Paul play a lot so here is what I noticed about him in the past year:

Last year, he started at the sophomore level and was unchallenged. He was dunking for kids and going to the basket with ease. He HAD to be called up to varsity. As a sophmore on varsity, he tried to do the same things he did on the sophmore level but Warren was a state ranked team and there were better option than him. He had a couple of 15 point games, but in the sectionals and supers, he struggled because he wasn't strong enough.

From what I read this summer, he was awesome in AAU. Putting up 20 a game. He plays at a high school where defense is a priority, but his offensive skills are too much to overlook. He needs to fill out more.

From what I hear, he is a smart, modest kid. Coach Ramsey at Warren loves his "basketball IQ" so I'm sure he will improve and grow.

Like I said, I will see him play a lot this year and will let you know how he progresses.

This is pretty sick for Illinois. If Simpson verbals too like everyone says, it will be a huge effort by Bruce and whomever was in on all of this. Hopefully, this will make Crandall and AJ also verbal fearing their spots may be taken. How sweet would it be if Bruce did not have to do anymore recuiting for '08, '09 and '10 and start concentrating on '11. He would get a huge start on everyone else. All in all a great day for BW and I feel happy for him because he is a true good guy in college basketball.

I guess I'm just surprised with the reaction of the fan base. I'm a big Illinois fan, but I don't follow recruiting much. For the last 2-3 years it seems like the expectations for Webers recruiting have been so unreasonably high (essentially each class must have 3 or 4 5* recruits). I'm surprised everyone is happy about three guys who aren't at that level.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 09:31 AM)
I guess I'm just surprised with the reaction of the fan base. I'm a big Illinois fan, but I don't follow recruiting much. For the last 2-3 years it seems like the expectations for Webers recruiting have been so unreasonably high (essentially each class must have 3 or 4 5* recruits). I'm surprised everyone is happy about three guys who aren't at that level.

Bertrand and DJ are four-star recruits. And Paul is the wild-card, Weber is hoping he got the next Iman Shumpert before everyone else got to him. I believe all three will be top 75 recruits by the end of next year. Let's not forget, Bertrand is not done growing, Paul is just starting to come into his own and DJ is the easiest to predict of all three. DJ is gonna be a solid, but probably not spectacular college bball player. Paul can be great and as easily can be just average, same goes for Bertrand. But Weber liked what he saw in these three and got them. I trust Weber's coaching and scouting to get these playeras wherever they are ranked to be very good college bball player.

Well by their signing day, Paul, DJ, and Bertrand will all be quality 4 star recruits (Paul is a lot like Shumpert). Plus, they are guards that all have some different skill sets that fit Bruce's system. Even a uber Bruce pessimist like me is very excited right now, and for good reason.

Plus, getting 3 quailty guards to add depth that are all 4 star type players like this is fun since you are pretty sure that means they aren't going to go Carmelo/Durant and just leave after one year.

Oh and EDIT, but yeah I knew McCamey is going to be at SIU's March Madness. I meant to put D'Mitri Riggs there, no idea why I put McCamey instead.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I think I just saw Tom Crean and Jerel McNeal showing Shumpert around the campus.

That's neat.

Not to sound like a righteous, pompous dickhead, Marquette's put in the most work for the most amount of time of any of the remaining teams remaining, so they deserve Shumpert. I understand this happens all the time in recruiting, but I'm this is the MU fanboy in me speaking, so give me some leeway.

Current 2008 commits Devin Ebanks, Derek Elston and Matt Roth, and potential recruits Dexter Strickland, Jacob Jenkins, Jordan Prosser, Kevin Jones, Lance Stephenson, Nolan Dennis, Ray McCallum Jr, and Stephan Van Treese are all expected to be in attendance for Hoosier Hysteria tonight. I saw Ebanks when I was leaving Assembly Hall a little bit earlier today.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 01:08 PM)
Recruits confirmed to be attending our MM so far: Bobby Capobianco, Johnnie Williams, DeAndre McCamey, Alex Dragecevivcich, Joe McNicholas, DeWayne Evans, Rahjan Muhammad and Devon Hodges.

Please...

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 12:29 PM)
Current 2008 commits Devin Ebanks, Derek Elston and Matt Roth, and potential recruits Dexter Strickland, Jacob Jenkins, Jordan Prosser, Kevin Jones, Lance Stephenson, Nolan Dennis, Ray McCallum Jr, and Stephan Van Treese are all expected to be in attendance for Hoosier Hysteria tonight. I saw Ebanks when I was leaving Assembly Hall a little bit earlier today.

Thats a TON of talent. I was going to attend but I decided to come home this weekend instead of heading over to Bloomington. Let me know how it goes!