Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Oct 16, 2007 -> 06:31 PM)
i've also heard marquette is where shumpert's going to go. would be a really nice get for them.

Quit jinxing it, fellas. The MU fan base is on pins-and-needles until Thursday, as Shumpert would be Crean's best recruiting 'get' in his time at Marquette.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

two big announcements on television tonight:

on comcast, basketball player iman shumpert (oak park) will choose between marquette, unc, and georgia tech. i say he picks marquette.

on espnu, football player lamaar "flash" thomas (maryland) will choose between illinois, ohio state, and maryland. i say it's osu.

these are just guesses. i have no info.

Huge game for any Michigan fan tonight as Sam McGuffie's Cypress Fair plays Cypress Falls, two Houston area rivls. The game is set for 7:00 central time on ESPN2.

McGuffie has come back strong from an early season ankle injury with more than 200 yards rushing each of the last two weeks and six TD's.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 06:17 PM)
kicked.in.the.sack.

YES!!!

He was ACC from the very beginning and chose the school that was on him the longest. You gotta respect and appreciate that he was loyal to a team on him early rather than the bigger-name johnny-come-latelys...

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 11:21 PM)
He was ACC from the very beginning and chose the school that was on him the longest. You gotta respect and appreciate that he was loyal to a team on him early rather than the bigger-name johnny-come-latelys...

Crean was on him before he blew up during the summer camps, but go ahead, call MU a johnny-come-lately.

With as bizarre as the Shumpert recruitment was, it only makes sense he would pick Georgia Tech and shock everybody. Recruiting can suck sometimes.

Oh, and the johnny come lately argument is a lie, Georgia Tech was very late in terms of getting in on the recruitment. And yes, Crittle did verbal to Oregon today.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 06:23 PM)
Crean was on him before he blew up during the summer camps, but go ahead, call MU a johnny-come-lately.

I was referring more to the other program.

He's been wanting to go to the ACC since the beginning. Georgia Tech and Clemson were mentioned early and often.

I don't hide my enjoying his decision. But anyways, you guys will be just fine.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 11:26 PM)
With as bizarre as the Shumpert recruitment was, it only makes sense he would pick Georgia Tech and shock everybody. Recruiting can suck sometimes.

Oh, and the johnny come lately argument is a lie, Georgia Tech was very late in terms of getting in on the recruitment. And yes, Crittle did verbal to Oregon today.

Actually, GT was on him at the beginning with Marquette, Bradley, and Clemson. UNC is the one who got in late.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 06:37 PM)
Actually, GT was on him at the beginning with Marquette, Bradley, and Clemson. UNC is the one who got in late.

I know UNC was late, but I did not know GT was on him early at all. I guess I just never read it since all I knew about this story was what the recruiting sites said since Illinois wasn't really involved at all, thanks for the info.

And yeah, picking GT isn't exactly dumb, Atlanta is a big market, GT a very good school, and Hewitt gets point guards to the NBA. Plus, Shumpert's game is comparable to Javaris Crittendon, a 1st round pick of the Lakers this past summer IMO.

It's not exactly difficult to turn top 40 PG recruits into NBA draft picks. He didn't get either one drafted in the top 18 picks either year. Neither GT or Marquette were in on Iman early as well. There were 3 stages to his recruitment, programs like Wisconsin, Illinois, and So. Illinois were in on Iman early, then others like GT and Marquette came on to his recruitment in the middle and UNC came on a few months later.

He will certainly get freedom at GT and no discipline what so ever. He can play glorified streetball for a year before leaving, lucky him.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 11:47 PM)
It's not exactly difficult to turn top 40 PG recruits into NBA draft picks. He didn't get either one drafted in the top 18 picks either year. Neither GT or Marquette were in on Iman early as well. There were 3 stages to his recruitment, programs like Wisconsin, Illinois, and So. Illinois were in on Iman early, then others like GT and Marquette came on to his recruitment in the middle and UNC came on a few months later.

He will certainly get freedom at GT and no discipline what so ever. He can play glorified streetball for a year before leaving, lucky him.

Tell that to Crean and Dominic James. If he's starting his freshman year there, they should have a strong nucleus with Clinch, Aminu, and Lawal.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 11:49 PM)
Tell that to Crean and Dominic James. If he's starting his freshman year there, they should have a strong nucleus with Clinch, Aminu, and Lawal.

Come on now, you can't compare James to Shumpert. IIRC James was a four star recruit. And if you want to go in that direction, Crean has gotten two guards into the NBA in Deiner (sp?) and obviously Wade. I'd also bet that all three of the current guards are eventually given looks (Matthews, James, McNeal).

I'm guessing he chose GT because he's guaranteed to open next season as their PG, whereas UNC and Marquette couldn't *guarantee* those promises. Still, choosing on the merit kind of hurts -- if he wanted to win a national title, UNC is clearly the best choice and I can't imagine GT being in that much better (if at all) of a position than MU is, and a player like Shumpert would've put MU in that pre-season talk heading into next season.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 11:59 PM)
Come on now, you can't compare James to Shumpert. IIRC James was a four star recruit. And if you want to go in that direction, Crean has gotten two guards into the NBA in Deiner (sp?) and obviously Wade. I'd also bet that all three of the current guards are eventually given looks (Matthews, James, McNeal).

I'm guessing he chose GT because he's guaranteed to open next season as their PG, whereas UNC and Marquette couldn't *guarantee* those promises. Still, choosing on the merit kind of hurts -- if he wanted to win a national title, UNC is clearly the best choice and I can't imagine GT being in that much better (if at all) of a position than MU is, and a player like Shumpert would've put MU in that pre-season talk heading into next season.

All I was saying is that there's no sure things with recruits, especially top 50 guys who are point guards. James had an amazing freshman year....but sucked last year. I honestly think it all came down to playing time.