Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE (farmteam @ May 6, 2008 -> 11:55 PM)
Isn't Fruendt supposed to be pretty decent, too?

Definitely, but I think he was just talking about bigs. fruendt looks like a solid guy and had a very good senior year. DePaul seemed very interested in freundt and mirkovic.

And you better not have me on ignore 'cause that's all stuff I've posted. :angry:

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (farmteam @ May 6, 2008 -> 11:55 PM)
Isn't Fruendt supposed to be pretty decent, too?

Seen him in person several times, he's definitely good. It's pretty widely known they will be pretty good at guard and wing in the coming years though with their recruiting lately, but them getting bigs (especially like Rowley and Mirkovic) is big news, because they are always so tiny. I still don't think Carmody can coach, but getting recruits like he is lately could buy him some time.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Brian @ May 7, 2008 -> 08:49 AM)
Saw Rowley twice last year. He's decent. Spends way too much time behind the 3 point arc, IMO.

Well, that's strange. Setting picks you mean? Hope he wasn't out there shooting 3s...

I saw him once. He's slow...not very mobile. Kinda soft. But he is 7 foot. He was supposed to be a 2009 recruit so maybe he'll be redshirted so he can develop some more.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ May 7, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)
Well, that's strange. Setting picks you mean? Hope he wasn't out there shooting 3s...

I saw him once. He's slow...not very mobile. Kinda soft. But he is 7 foot. He was supposed to be a 2009 recruit so maybe he'll be redshirted so he can develop some more.

I had similar feelings. He is absolutely huge, but he seemed stiff and is not a good athlete. Despite his size he likely will never be much of a shot blocker. I've heard his post game is developing but that he is still very mechanical on the blocks. But NW badly needs size and Rowley is about 7 ft 290 and he does have potential so he is a good pickup for them.

Kentucky stays busy and gets a good one in Jon Hood for the 2009 class. He was a fairly big Duke target, so I'm glad to see him pass on the Dookies. Gillespie has been a busy boy of late.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ May 8, 2008 -> 09:35 AM)
Kentucky stays busy and gets a good one in Jon Hood for the 2009 class. He was a fairly big Duke target, so I'm glad to see him pass on the Dookies. Gillespie has been a busy boy of late.

And busy losing a ton of recruits.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ May 13, 2008 -> 10:57 PM)
And busy losing a ton of recruits.

With the OJ Mayo investigation starting Demar DeRozan the super athletic USC commit has said he will reconsider going to SC, if any penalties are forth coming. UCLA & North Carolina have been rumored to have been contacted by De Rozan. If Ellington does not return UNC could be a perfect fit for a one and done year for DeRozan,

Edited by JuiceCruz16

Rivals updated 2009 rankings have come out. The two names that have been raved about this summer both have jumped up. John Wall has moved to #1 overall. John Henson has leaped to #5 overall. Both have wowed them this summer.

I'm thrilled to see Henson dominate, but the Wear twins actually fell to 54/55 respectivley, while Dex. Strickland stayed solid at #16 for the Tarheel commits.

Illinois is represented by Paul at #49, Richardson at #57, Bertrand at #77, and Griffey at #123.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ May 14, 2008 -> 01:29 PM)
Rivals updated 2009 rankings have come out. The two names that have been raved about this summer both have jumped up. John Wall has moved to #1 overall. John Henson has leaped to #5 overall. Both have wowed them this summer.

I'm thrilled to see Henson dominate, but the Wear twins actually fell to 54/55 respectivley, while Dex. Strickland stayed solid at #16 for the Tarheel commits.

Illinois is represented by Paul at #49, Richardson at #57, Bertrand at #77, and Griffey at #123.

Before Illinois fans get worried about Griffey's ranking, he is not concentrating on AAU ball this summer and his AAU team is freaking terrible even when he does play. This isn't a Semrau situation.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 14, 2008 -> 02:05 PM)
Before Illinois fans get worried about Griffey's ranking, he is not concentrating on AAU ball this summer and his AAU team is freaking terrible even when he does play. This isn't a Semrau situation.

Yeah, the fact he stayed comfortably within the 150 despite not playing AAU and being on an awful AAU team as is would actually be something to be taken as a positive. As far as I remember, Richardson and Bertrand are right where they were before this ranking came out, and Brandon Paul continues to rise.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 15, 2008 -> 07:22 PM)
Interesting. For one year, not bad until Dillard and crew get worked in and a fall back plan if Bone doesn't come through.

Wish CLo would get some big guys.

He wouldn't be eligible this year though. You would be tying up a scholarship for 2 years for Freeman to play 1.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 14, 2008 -> 07:05 PM)

when i heard griffey was going to skip some of the big events to do the adidas nations stuff my first thought was that his ranking was going to drop. if your not being seen by the evaluators you are bound to drop. but truth be told i'd rather he do what he's doing and concentrate on skill development and developing better strength.

i'm actually surprised bertrand did not drop more. i know he's been battling an ankle injury for most of the summer and hasn't had a lot of great performances.

Justin Watts who has been waiting to see if a spot opens up for him at Carolina with the 3 guys testing the waters for the NBA should be the happiest with the transfer of Stepheson for family health issues. This seems to open his spot as Carolina is already covered at the power forward spot with Zeller & Davis coming in and Thompson & Hansbrough returning.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 15, 2008 -> 09:12 PM)
He wouldn't be eligible this year though. You would be tying up a scholarship for 2 years for Freeman to play 1.

We have an open scholly for this year anyways and are probably done so that's not a big deal. Freeman is a pretty darn good player, I'd definitely welcome grabbing him but as Brian said, we need a big or two now for 09 and I'll be happy.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 19, 2008 -> 06:26 AM)
Freeman is a Saluki. Very, very nice get. We're loaded at guard for a while now, need to grab a few bigs for the 09 class and we'll be good to go.

eligible immediately?

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ May 18, 2008 -> 11:47 AM)
Rumor that Demar Derozen has asked for his release from his LOI and wants to come to UNC.

I will believe it when it happens, but hey I can dream. Haven't had an athlete like him on the Hill since Vince.

Yeah, I mentioned that a few weeks ago, but like you I am doubtful. UCLA is prominantly mentioned along with UNC, but USC may balk at letting him out if he stays in the Pac 10. He has some family health issues also that may work towards him staying out west. This is all contingent on USC getting hit for the OJ Mayo stuff or he won't be going anywhere though.

Edited by JuiceCruz16