Official Recruiting Thread II

I honestly do not see how anybody does not get clearence from the ncaa to be eligible. Word from Memphis is that Angel Garcia is not only on campus but coach Cal has said that he has been cleared to participate this upcoming season. I'm glad to hear this and will be rooting for him, but just WOW on how he made the cut.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 11:28 AM)
I honestly do not see how anybody does not get clearence from the ncaa to be eligible. Word from Memphis is that Angel Garcia is not only on campus but coach Cal has said that he has been cleared to participate this upcoming season. I'm glad to hear this and will be rooting for him, but just WOW on how he made the cut.

MOst of the time it's ACT scores and credits from high school classes. I never understood the ACT score thing. I think you have to get like an 18 and you get 3 chances.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 10:42 AM)
MOst of the time it's ACT scores and credits from high school classes. I never understood the ACT score thing. I think you have to get like an 18 and you get 3 chances.

Well, now I think coach Cal just said that Angel is eligible and enrolled at Memphis (he had set things up with Wabash Valley J.C. earlier as a back up plan). This does not necersarily mean that he has been cleared by the ncaa yet, I guess. I am very familiar with Angel's high school and up to this point his scores were WAY short. So who knows, it's like a soap opera with his status, but he is taking classes at Memphis. Deandre Liggens is in a similar situation at Kentucky awaiting word from the ncaa, along with another Memphis recruit Simpkins. This is the same situation that led Jennings to jump to Europe.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 11:42 AM)

This is correct. People don't realize how dumb an athlete has to be to not make it through clearance.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Coach Crean has put together a nice class for 2009, landing Top 20-30 player Christian Watford from Birmingham as the 5th player in the class. Currently, this class is considered a Top 5 class.

IU has a long way to go before getting to where fans and the state expect it to be. But this is definitely a good start. I just wish they would have hired Crean insteal of Sampson previously, like Alex and I both wanted.

NIU basketball got a verbal from a wing named Tony Nixon from Seton Academy. This isn't really a surprise as I was told this would happened a while ago, but damn he's a good get for us. He has around two dozen offers, including Drake, Fresno State, and even Gonzaga. We already have a small forward who averaged 11 points a game at Colorado who will be eligible in 2009-2010, but add Nixon to that mix and that's a tough guard for most teams in the MAC. We could be pretty damn good in the near future between these two kids and some of the other very good talent Coach Patton is bringing in.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Coach K. and the Dookies seem to have changed their recruiting stategy a bit. They have gone younger following the recent treand and pullerd in a strong early 2010 class. Hairston and Thorton join Andre Dawkins as verbals, to give them the 2nd rated early class behind Ohio State and just ahead of Illinois for 2010 up to this point.

They have a couple of big names for 2009 ready to make a decision as well. Ryan Kelly should decide soon and Duke is high on his list of six. Word is Notre Dame and Duke may have a slight lead, but UNC, G'town, Vandy are also still being considered. Kenny Boyton seems to be leaning toward Florida, but most think it is a two horse race between the Gators and the Dookies, but one never really knows. It should be interesting though.

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 12:58 PM)
Rashanti Smith a stud big man (#26) in the nation gives his verbal to Georgia State. Wow, that's thinking out of the box for the big fella. I guess he has a long running relationship of some sort with the coachat Ga. State.

He doesn't have much going for him academically and wouldn't have had a chance in D-! unfortunately. But I bet Ga. State's head coach sent a thank you letter to David Stern :-P.

Did Illini fans know that DJ Richardson transfered to Nevada? It doesn't effect his commitment, just saw his team dropped out of the HS invitational at Northwestern that is held every year because he is gone.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 09:29 PM)
Did Illini fans know that DJ Richardson transfered to Nevada? It doesn't effect his commitment, just saw his team dropped out of the HS invitational at Northwestern that is held every year because he is gone.

Yes, he is at Findlay prep to help him get a qualifying score on the ACT.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 09:35 PM)
Yes, he is at Findlay prep to help him get a qualifying score on the ACT.

Does he have attitude problems?

Waukegan just hired a hard ass assistant coach. He is going to be all up in Richmond's ass this year. It will be interesting to see if Jereme grew up since March.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 09:37 PM)
Does he have attitude problems?

Waukegan just hired a hard ass assistant coach. He is going to be all up in Richmond's ass this year. It will be interesting to see if Jereme grew up since March.

He doesn't have attitude problems. Just hasn't been able to get his qualifying score on the ACT.

Terrel Vinson leaves all of the big timers behind and adds to the trend of big fish going to little ponds. This has been speculated for a while but, Vinson will leave the east coast for Loyola Marymont! There is some sketchy past with the ties to Marymont, but it is another stud shunning big time programs

I see that 2010 Whitney Young stud#49 overall Anthony Johnson has filled out the 2010 class for Purdue. Painter is doing very well indeed he is all set up to the '11 class, with star players on hand that should not really be major threats to bolt early. (maybe Moore)

Edited by JuiceCruz16

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kenny Boyton will be a Florida Gator. Huge get for Florida, he was Dukes longtime #1 target and he will be joined by his good buddy and equally talented guard Knight the following year. Duke nation loved their chances for him but he eventually did not even visit Duke cancelling the visit to announce that he will be attending Florida.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 07:49 PM)
ISU gets a 2012 basketball commitment from a 15 year old who has yet to play in HS.

Awesome.

In other news, Bill Self and the Jayhawks get a recruit from LeBron James' first-born son...but the pundits aren't sure if he's going to make it to National signing Day in 2034.

Not to be outdone, Roy Williams has cloned Wilt Chamberlain and got a verbal from the doctor overseeing the test tube.