Official Recruiting Thread II

Butler is one of the better teams in the nation. They have about 7 D-1 types this year, including 4 high major D-I types, and several underclassmen that will be playing for big college programs. Butler has 4 of the top 15 players in the state of North Carolina. Charest and UNC's QB commitment Braden Hanson go back and forth as the best QB in the state, both are top 20 QB's in the nation.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Between Juice, McGee, Haig, and now Charest....the QB situation looks good. And on another note, JUCO verbal Donsay Hardeman was rated as a high 4 star by rivals, and has the same such accolades from scout. The long term talent level on the Illini offense is pretty darn good, but the talent level accumulating on the defensive side of the ball in Champaign is astonishing.

Iman Shumpert & Tyler Zeller come in for visits to Carolina this weekend. I think Zeller is a fairly signifigant lean towards Purdue, but I am hoping that Iman likes what he sees and he becomes a Tarheeel soon after. It has been a less then stellar recruiting year for Roy, so I hope some help is coming after they host these two top prospects this weekend.

A risk that appeared to fail last year now will pay off after all. Illinois beat out Penn State for RB Deries Hodge of Harrisburg, PA last year, only to see him fail to qualify academically after signing the LOI. Well, a year later, Hodge is a 4 star RB at New Milford Military Prep in New York, and he's re-upped his verbal to the Illini. Hodge is 5'11, 206 and runs a 4.4 flat 40 yard dash. The Illini RB depth, despite the solid work of Mendenhall and Dufrene so far, is VERY thin so this is a big get along with Troy Pollard last year and perhaps Lamaar Thomas and/or Mike LeShoure this year. Wow.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 14, 2007 -> 02:49 PM)
Jones transferred?

He just randomly quit the team and school apparently after Claussen was named starter for the Penn State game last week, what a wimp. Anyways, apparently he is considering Tennessee, Arizona State, Illinois, NIU, and Northwestern. I know he has a lot of friends here at NIU and this would be his best chance to get playing time. Thing that sucks for him is I am almost positive he couldn't even play 1-AA next year because you still have to sit out of athletics for 2 academic semesters to be eligible, and thus he wouldn't be eligible for 1-AA until 2nd semester 2008 as a result, when the season is over, due to playing in the opener.

EDIT: I guess somebody on the ND insider board said he's coming to NIU. I'll ask around, but I'll believe that when I see it.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 14, 2007 -> 09:05 PM)
He just randomly quit the team and school apparently after Claussen was named starter for the Penn State game last week, what a wimp. Anyways, apparently he is considering Tennessee, Arizona State, Illinois, NIU, and Northwestern. I know he has a lot of friends here at NIU and this would be his best chance to get playing time. Thing that sucks for him is I am almost positive he couldn't even play 1-AA next year because you still have to sit out of athletics for 2 academic semesters to be eligible, and thus he wouldn't be eligible for 1-AA until 2nd semester 2008 as a result, when the season is over, due to playing in the opener.

EDIT: I guess somebody on the ND insider board said he's coming to NIU. I'll ask around, but I'll believe that when I see it.

I've been hearing NIU as well.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 14, 2007 -> 03:09 PM)
I've been hearing NIU as well.

He had quite a bit of interest here originally, and he's a Morgan Park guy just like a couple of our really good players (Melvin Rice, Phil Brown) and is like best friends with them. Plus, he could play here right away. It makes the most sense, but I have to talk to some of my people before I believe it.

The insider dude says Jones could be eligible next year too. I'm not a transfer expert, but I don't think that's possible. Then again, I could be confusing basketball and football transfer rules, as basketball occurs during 2 different academic semesters and football is only during 1.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Sep 14, 2007 -> 07:52 PM)
He would be eligible next year if he left Notre Dame before 12 class days had been completed. I am not sure when ND started classes, but I am guessing he just made it. At least I read this.... not 100% on it's accuracy, but it seems believable.

The 12 day rule is accurate, but I think the 12 days would be in regards to NIU since he's coming here. I can tell you that our 12th academic day was on Wednesday the 12th, and I was told he got here either Monday or Tuesday, so it sure as hell sounds like he'll be eligible to play next year. Either way, it's all but 100 percent he's an NIU QB now, and that's big news and exciting for us. As I check their site map (ND), they don't get labor day off like we did, but ND started classes a day later than us (Tuesday the 28th to our Monday the 27th), so if the 12 day rule applies to ND the 12th day is still Wednesday the 12th.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Crean is going balls-out for Shumpert:

RANDOM NOTES: Marquette coach Tom Crean and assistants Tim Buckley and Bennie Seltzer visited their top target, wing Iman Shumpert, just moments after midnight on Sunday – the first day that coaches are allowed to go into the homes. The trio spoke to Shumpert for about a half-hour …

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodm...OPRONGED_ATTACK

2009 prospect Evan Anderson has named his final eight, including ISU. Wisconsin is the favorite.

Schools include:

Boston College, Iowa State, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, UCLA, Wisconsin, and Marquette. UNC and UCLA are the only schools on the list yet to offer.

Anderson is the #5 prospect nationally on Rivals.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Sep 17, 2007 -> 11:55 AM)
northern illinois gets SF tyler storm from genese, Illinois.

3rd verbal in 3 months, our new coach Ricardo Patton is doing a great job on the recruiting trail. Storm is a perfect fit for his system, is a consensus 3 star national recruit, and had an offer from DePaul, so this is pretty big news for us. He's from Geneseo, not genese btw ;).

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 17, 2007 -> 12:54 PM)
3rd verbal in 3 months, our new coach Ricardo Patton is doing a great job on the recruiting trail. Storm is a perfect fit for his system, is a consensus 3 star national recruit, and had an offer from DePaul, so this is pretty big news for us. He's from Geneseo, not genese btw ;).

Yeah, I realized I forgot the o. Good get for niu. He had an offer from DePaul, but from what I heard, DePaul was not really interested anymore. Didn't see him play other than videos but heard he was getting mostly mid-major interest lately and would have a better impact at the mid-major level than the Big East.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Sep 18, 2007 -> 11:27 AM)
Kendall Marshall, 2010 PG is about to commit to UNC. He goes to the same school that Marcus Ginyard(UNC SG) went to. Interestingly, both commited during their sophomore years of high school. Ok, maybe not interesting to anyone else, but still.
Great news to me! I read how he loved his visit and that Carolina was a huge early leader, but I did not expect him to verbal this soon. Good to hear, now I'm hoping that Shumpert will follow suit. Zeller would be nice too, but I'm luke warm on him, plus I think Purdue has the inside track on him.

Indiana has supposedly taken the lead for Zeller, after a hard recruiting push from Sampson. I don't expect to pluck him away from his home state even though he had a great visit.

Shumpert is very intelligent about the recruiting game and plays everything close to his vest, so to speak, so it's really hard to get a feel about him. One day I think UNC looks good, then the next he's talking up Hewitt's use of big guards, then the next he's praising Dwyane Wade's progression from Tom Crean. Who knows.

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Sep 18, 2007 -> 01:45 PM)
Indiana has supposedly taken the lead for Zeller, after a hard recruiting push from Sampson. I don't expect to pluck him away from his home state even though he had a great visit.

Shumpert is very intelligent about the recruiting game and plays everything close to his vest, so to speak, so it's really hard to get a feel about him. One day I think UNC looks good, then the next he's talking up Hewitt's use of big guards, then the next he's praising Dwyane Wade's progression from Tom Crean. Who knows.

I sure hope your right about Zeller. Sampson picked up a 3 star big man out of Ohio yesterday in Tom Pritchard.