2007 Post ASB White Sox Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found it (oddly enough it was exactly a month ago today that I wrote this):

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 22, 2007 -> 08:29 PM)
It has been over 6 years since the White Sox last found themselves alone in the cellar of the American League Central. You have to go all the way back to May 25th, 2001 to find the last occurrence that did not take place in the month of April. The White Sox have never finished a season any lower than 3rd place in the AL Central. If the Sox lose tomorrow and the Royals win it will be the latest in the season that the Sox have ever found themselves in 5th place (7/23) with July 12, 1998 being the previous low point.

The last time the Sox finished a season alone in last place of their division was 1989 when they finished 29.5 games back of the Oakland Athletics in the American League West.

Days spent alone in Last place of the AL Central (May 1st or later):

2007: 0 (tied for last)

2006: 0

2005: 0

2004: 0

2003: 0

2002: 0

2001: 12 (latest: 5/25)

2000: 0

1999: 0

1998: 4 (latest: 7/12)

1997: 8 (latest: 6/20)

1996: 0

1995: 0

1994: 0

Total: 25 days

Days spent alone in last place of the AL West (May 1st or later):

1993: 0

1992: 0

1991: 3 (latest: 6/21)

1990: 0

1989: 134 (finished in last)

So going back to 1990 the Sox have spent a grand total of 28 days alone in last place from May 1st or later.

So Sunday was the latest in the season that the Sox have found themselves alone in last place since 1989.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 22, 2007 -> 10:40 PM)
hopefully we'll get to see what Lucy can do come september. He would hopefully outproduce Hall, plus he is known for his good game calling and defense.

I'm as big a fan of Lucy as there is on this board, but, Lucy needs to get adjusted to hitting AAA pitching. He is striking out a lot more often than he has at any other level (though this is just his first few weeks at AAA).

That said though, I think after he gets some more exposure in August and September at AAA and probably a bit at the MLB level, I think you need to seriously consider him for the backup slot next year. Hall has been a pretty big disappointment, and if you aren't going to get more than a .200 hitter out of him, then you might as well do it cheaply and with a guy who can throw out some baserunners (as well as call a good game).

I must say Fields HR and RBI production is pretty damn good. But his BB to K ratio is not. However, if he can improve on the BB to K ratio over the next couple of years, while keeping up this production, he can become a premier power hitter in the league.

Dream scenario: We get the 1st pick in the draft, draft Pedro Alveras, and when Thome leaves Alveras is ready to come up and play 3B and Fields moves to DH (while also backing up 3B and 1B).

I caught a bit of Keith Law on ESPN Radio. He was talking about Jim Thome and Carlos Delgado, and Law commented that because his bat speed has fallen off so significantly, Thome is pretty much an unmoveable entity. He basically made it sound like Thome has no trade value because scouts wouldn't advocate trading for a guy who appears to be falling off a cliff (bat speed-wise).

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 02:09 AM)
I caught a bit of Keith Law on ESPN Radio. He was talking about Jim Thome and Carlos Delgado, and Law commented that because his bat speed has fallen off so significantly, Thome is pretty much an unmoveable entity. He basically made it sound like Thome has no trade value because scouts wouldn't advocate trading for a guy who appears to be falling off a cliff (bat speed-wise).

One of the reasons KW should have been trying his best to deal him at the trade deadline to the Angels (and yes, I know he has a NTC).

They said Edgar Martinez' bat speed was declining for about 10 years. They also said Rowand's bat speed was pathetic in spring training. When Thome goes into a slump you can throw BP fastballs by him. Its nothing new. He's starting to see the ball a little better now. He's nowhere near done yet.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 02:46 AM)
They said Edgar Martinez' bat speed was declining for about 10 years. They also said Rowand's bat speed was pathetic in spring training. When Thome goes into a slump you can throw BP fastballs by him. Its nothing new. He's starting to see the ball a little better now. He's nowhere near done yet.

Just to clarify, I wasn't saying Thome is washed up or finished. I was just surprised to hear that other teams don't have interest in him. He's still a better hitter than 80% of the league, and he should still be an asset in 2008. I wouldn't go any further than his current contract, though.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 23, 2007 -> 10:30 PM)
One thing we know for sure.

If Thome joins another AL team, especially in our division, he'll whack about an average of a homer a game versus the Sox.

I really don't see how it would be possible for Thome to end up in the AL Central.

Can you believe the scores of these 2 games?

Pound for pound the Sox are the worst team in baseball two years after being the best.

That is simply imposible to believe!!!

Man, there are so few new threads on the site.

Where oh where have the new threads gone ... oh where oh where can they be?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 01:40 PM)
The White Sox have not been this far below .500 since 1989.

Well, on the bright side, if you're going to suck, you might as well suck so bad to grab a top five pick as opposed to floating around .500. I think I saw yesterday that the Sox are now second to last in all of baseball and are officially within striking distance of Tampa Bay.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 10:26 AM)
Well, on the bright side, if you're going to suck, you might as well suck so bad to grab a top five pick as opposed to floating around .500. I think I saw yesterday that the Sox are now second to last in all of baseball and are officially within striking distance of Tampa Bay.

Pedro Alvarez please

GREATEST HRS IN CHICAGO WHITE SOX HISTORY

1. Scott Podsednik delivers walk-off home run in 2005 World Series, Game 2.

2. Frank Thomas hits three home runs and breaks club record for homers -- Aug. 15, 1996.

3. Harold Baines hits walk-off home run to end 25-inning game -- May 9, 1984.

Franchise leaders: Frank Thomas, 448; Paul Konerko, 261; Harold Baines, 221; Carlton Fisk, 214; Magglio Ordonez, 187

Single-season leader: Albert Belle, 49 (1998)

Did You Know? The White Sox have hit 200 or more home runs in each of the past seven seasons, averaging 221 home runs per year.

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 11:58 PM)
In terms of what it meant for the Series, the Konerko HR was more important than Pods HR.

I loved the article by Scoop Jackson in which as soon as the ball landed in the seats, he told every reporter in his area that the series is over.