Official Squared Circle Thread

HBK vs. Angle WM 21

Forget which ECW show, but the 4 way for the TV title with Jericho, Douglas, Pitbull #2, and Scorpio, I believe.

Savage vs. Dynamite Kid from the 1st ever PPV.

Some people will flame me, but the Last Man Standing Match with Orton vs. HHH at No Mercy was exceptional.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(The Critic @ Dec 16, 2007 -> 08:24 PM)
The funny thing for me about seeing the old AWA again on the DVD doc Vince released was that it kind of killed the romance for me in a way, because the matches are SO slow and really kind of dull.....kind of like an Orton match these days.....(just wanted to set the Ortonites on fire there.... :P )

It was great to see the guys I watched growing up, and I still really enjoyed the Bockwinkel & Heenan promos, but the wrestling itself was a letdown for me.

Yeah, during that time period the matches we're slower paced, and look at how those guys walk today. How do you think some of today's wrestlers will be in 20 years?

The thing that always made the 80's great to me was the crowds. Watch any 80's show from mostly any promotion, and watch how the crowd goes ape **** for the smallest thing.

QUOTE(Brian @ Dec 16, 2007 -> 08:56 PM)
Wrestling back in the day was more ring psychology than risks and athleticism. There is no realism to it anymore.

Ring psychology has its place with the new risks being taken -- it's the fine art of selling the big spots and pacing them appropriately that seems to be the problem. A giant 45 flips over the top rope corkscrew senton hits and 10 secs. later, both men are up ready to fight more.

And a few questions:

In Japan, if they do a Japanese arm drag or a Japanese stranglehold, do the announcers just call it a "arm drag" or a "stranglehold? Does the same go for the use of European uppercuts in European wrestling? Or a Russian leg sweep in Russia?

QUOTE(Brian @ Dec 16, 2007 -> 08:56 PM)
Wrestling back in the day was more ring psychology than risks and athleticism. There is no realism to it anymore.

I sorta can see that, it ties into my theory.

To me the issue with crowds is they don't care about the wrestlers, outside of the top guys, and they don't have a major emotional attachment in whether or not the guys win or they lose. Someone find on youtube or the Flair DVD when Ric, Arn, and Ole, broke Dusty's ankle in like 1985, watch that angle and the crowd. Dusty came in to the cage to assist Flair from getting a 2 on 1 beatdown at the hands of the Russians. Flair and the horseman turn on Dusty and I'm telling you LITERALLY, the fans moved the guard rail to the cage itself and we're shaking the cage. Unreal heat.

I think the lack of crowd energy like that goes back to just the over exposure of guys.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Dec 17, 2007 -> 01:16 AM)
Just thinking about the "grateful make-out" surely upcoming between Edge and Vickie Guerrero is giving me the heebie-jeebies.

Now wouldn't it be great if Edge pulled the evil heel card and turned on Vickie after winning -- playing her feelings so he could get his title shot quicker and now that he got it, he doesn't need her any longer?

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Dec 17, 2007 -> 05:15 AM)
Now wouldn't it be great if Edge pulled the evil heel card and turned on Vickie after winning -- playing her feelings so he could get his title shot quicker and now that he got it, he doesn't need her any longer?

That would indeed be great, but I'm sure that would make Edge a face (since people rightfully hate Vickie Guerrero) and keeping him with her continues to confound and upset people and keeps Edge a heel.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 17, 2007 -> 09:43 AM)
Can anyone explain the JBL interference angle to me? How was the Orton/Jericho match overall?

JBL's back must be feeling well enough to allow him some (at least) part-time wrestling, so they're easing him into a feud with Y2J.

The angle, as far as TV goes, began when Jericho was thrown into the SmackDown announce table and he shoved JBL away to get back to Orton. JBL took offense and big-booted him to cause the DQ.

I think that will be a very entertaining feud mic-wise, but not so much in the ring.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Dec 17, 2007 -> 10:09 AM)
JBL's back must be feeling well enough to allow him some (at least) part-time wrestling, so they're easing him into a feud with Y2J.

The angle, as far as TV goes, began when Jericho was thrown into the SmackDown announce table and he shoved JBL away to get back to Orton. JBL took offense and big-booted him to cause the DQ.

I think that will be a very entertaining feud mic-wise, but not so much in the ring.

Hopefully JBL has been working out. The last time i saw JBL he looked like a beached whale

More WM24 Rumors...

Vinny Mac wants a Batista/HHH main event because it's safe and proven, the USA network wants Orton/Batista because it would be something fresh. Either way it's rumored that both sides want Batista on Raw and perhaps even to be the man walking away with the title after 'Mania.

CM Punk v. MVP on ECW, Tuesday night...i'll actually tune in for this one.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Dec 18, 2007 -> 02:29 AM)
That would indeed be great, but I'm sure that would make Edge a face (since people rightfully hate Vickie Guerrero) and keeping him with her continues to confound and upset people and keeps Edge a heel.

I think after everything that Edge has pulled though, he's never going to be a face in this business again though.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 17, 2007 -> 06:40 PM)
I think after everything that Edge has pulled though, he's never going to be a face in this business again though.

I have to disagree. In wrestling, almost nobody can't be turned - once Hulk Hogan successfully turned heel, I felt like just about anyone can flip back and forth.

I think people like Edge, and his heel heat isn't the Jeff Jarrett brand of "get off my TV screen" heat.

If Vince wanted to turn Edge good, I think he'd have no problem at all being a "cool face".