Official Squared Circle Thread

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Source: Pro Wrestling Torch

Apparently, Ric Flair quit WWE earlier in the week. The possible departure doesn't have anything to do with the recent drug scandal, he's simply frustrated with his push. Also, he hasn't had any encouraging communication from management.

WWE hasn't given Flair his release. WWE officials are trying hard to get him to cool off and not quit. They are having discussions to get things sorted because WWE doesn't want him to quit the company.

Chris Benoit's brainscan showed that he had some bigtime abnormalities.

Benoit's father, Michael Benoit, turned over part of the wrestler's brain to researchers at West Virginia University and the Sports Legacy Institute.

"I was grasping for anything. The world was very black. We didn't even know how to deal with this," said Michael Benoit.

Dr. Julian Bailes, head of neurosurgery at WVU, said the results of tests on Chris Benoit's brain were striking.

Showing a slide of Benoit's brain tissue Wednesday morning on ABC's Good Morning America Bailes pointed out what he called abnormalities.

"These are dead brain cells," said Bailes.

When asked how much of that he found Bailes replied, "It was extensive, throughout Chris's brain. It was striking and maybe shocking in the extent."

The researcher said Benoit's brain scan looked similar to those of Alzheimer's patients.

He described Benoit's brain as "very abnormal, something you should never see in a 40-year old."

Bailes has done similar research on the brains of former professional football players who committed suicide.

He said he found similar brain damage in their cases.

Bailes theroizes that repeated concussions can lead to dementia which can contribute to severe behaviorial problems.

Benoit - yet another athlete where repeated head trauma contributed to dementia. Sad.

Dave Scherer - PWInsider:

Pro Wrestling Torch reported last evening that Ric Flair has given notice to WWE because he didn't like the way his character is being used and that the sides are still talking about patching things up and getting him back to work.

In doing a little digging I found that Flair gave notice a few weeks ago, before the growth enhancer scandal broke. Sources close to Flair told me that even though he knows he is near the end of his legendary career, he has grown tired of how the company has used him. Now, with all of the suspensions that the company has had to deal with, Flair's bargaining position has improved and WWE has offered him a bigger role. Part of the problem is that over the last month or so, Flair has been dealing with some personal issues involving his children. From what I have been told, that has had an effect on his overall mood.

WWE is doing everything that they can to get Flair back and is moving forward as if he will return. My hunch is that they will work this out. Flair has made a lot of money over his career but has spent a lot too and WWE is his best option to earn more at this point in his career.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 07:37 PM)
I'm willing to bet that most of his spending is on extremely expensive and flashy robes.

In reading his book "To be the man...", Ric wrote about one time in WCW, Vince Russo came out and argued with Flair about something (which was scripted) but then Russo went off script and riped the robe off of Flair and destroyed it. Afterwards, Flair was told that WCW would pay for the robe (according to Ric about $10,000) and he STILL hasn't gotten a check.

Forget being a pimp...it's hard being Ric Flair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(Brian @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 07:46 PM)
Anyone try and get No Mercy tickets? I may keep my eye on Stubhub and ebay in the upcoming weeks.

I haven't been to an E live event since Raw Is Jericho's debut at the Allstate.

Yeah, it's been that long.

I don't really have the urge to go to a live wrestling event any more.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 07:43 AM)
I haven't been to an E live event since Raw Is Jericho's debut at the Allstate.

Yeah, it's been that long.

I don't really have the urge to go to a live wrestling event any more.

I haven't been since Wrestlemania 17 was at the Astrodome.. ECW came to my college's campus, but I had to work so I couldn't go.. not that I really would have wanted to waste the money on that..

Supposedly another Wrestlemania is supposed to be coming to the Astrodome, ill hold out for that..

from Rajah.com

TNA Wrestling has been teasing via their mobile text service over the past couple of days that there will be a major announcement at tomorrow night’s No Surrender pay-per-view and that they have also been negotiating with a “former World champion.”

While not confirmed, it is expected that the major announcement will be that Impact will expand to two hours on Thursday nights beginning this October. Several sources are reporting that the deal has already been finalized and the talent has been notified.

Regarding the “former World champion”, TNA has been working hard to finalize the new talent acquisition over the last several days, much how they did with Kurt Angle a year ago. TNA has been keeping things very quite so we will have to wait and see if the company pulls off another major surprise at tomorrow’s pay-per-view.

Who is it gonna be?

QUOTE(Brian @ Sep 8, 2007 -> 03:47 PM)
They'd like you to believe Ric Flair or Booker, but it is probably David Arquette to plug a new movie.

Or they could bring Russo out from behind the scenes.

:D

My mark-out scenario would be Jericho, but I don't think Dixie can outbid Vince for his services.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 8, 2007 -> 03:52 PM)
Or they could bring Russo out from behind the scenes.

:D

My mark-out scenario would be Jericho, but I don't think Dixie can outbid Vince for his services.

WWE offered Jericho a 7 figure salary to return, so I highly doubt he would even consider TNA.. Hell be back in the E in the near future I would bet

Pacman Jones is now 1/2 of the TNA Tag Team Champions after Angle hit the Olympic Slam on Sting after Sting argued with and accidentally hit Karen Angle trying to convince her to leave ringside.

K Quik and Pacman are now the TNA Tag Champs....and to think that Dutch and Jeff could not devalue a set of belts any further. Which leads to the question -- is this worse than the Arquette reign? I mean, at least Arquette was a class act up through that in real life + also gave his earnings to charity when he was wrestling.

I heard a rumor that a big name gave notice. I honestly was thinking Booker, but nothing to back it.

Observer saying he quit too. I take it Sharmell is gone then too.

From Rajah:

Ric Flair was on local sports talk show "Prime Time with The Packman" this past Friday on WFNZ in Charlotte. He said he is in the process of opening a new business in Charlotte called 'Ric Flair Finance'. Flair, who had called in to discuss a recent college football win by Appalachian State, was asked about whether he had quit the company and responded, "It's not true. What would WWE do without me?" and began laughing. He promised he would discuss the WWE situation later this week when he would be in studio as a co-host for the show. There have been some disagreements between Flair and WWE over how he's been presented by the company, but the two sides have been speaking amicably towards a resolution. Flair is still under contract to WWE.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 9, 2007 -> 08:59 PM)
Sun-Times today said he quit.

Blackjack Brown is as reliable as me. The guy takes a couple of notes off a news site and writes them as his own...like other news sites. Ha.

Blackjack Brown is as reliable as me. The guy takes a couple of notes off a news site and writes them as his own...like other news sites. Ha.

You were never a photographer for the WWE. (He still might be, but he was recognizable in the early 2000's.)

Lords Of Pain is mirroring Meltzer's report that Booker quit because he was facing a 60-day suspension rather than 30, since Vince determined Booker had a previous Wellness Program violation.

Booker was also upset that Vince chose to pull WWE talent from Booker's indie fed, choosing to start a new developmental fed in Florida instead. Booker then reportedly used some TNA contacts to supply wrestlers for his fed, which pissed Vince off.

They reported that Booker has a successful hip-hop store and two wrestling schools, so even if he chooses not to go to TNA he'll be fine.