Films Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Feb 22, 2008 -> 11:42 AM)
Man I just don't get the love for No Country for Old Men. I just thought it was meh.

I loved No Country until the ending.

Until the end I thought "I gotta buy the DVD".

After the most unsatisfying ending I can remember, I thought "Maybe I'll rent the DVD if they have any alternate endings".

QUOTE(The Critic @ Mar 1, 2008 -> 05:41 PM)
I loved No Country until the ending.

Until the end I thought "I gotta buy the DVD".

After the most unsatisfying ending I can remember, I thought "Maybe I'll rent the DVD if they have any alternate endings".

IIRC, that's the book's ending.

I really don't understand what people wanted to happen at the end of No Country.

Did you expect the Sheriff to have a shootout with Anton and therefore become like every other Hollywood thriller cliche movie. The entire ending part of the movie, from when Llewelyn gets killed to Ed Tom Bell's final monologue is what makes the movie a modern classic to me. It really could not have ended any other way and it is the reason that the 2nd and 3rd viewings and more are so rewarding.

QUOTE(The Bones @ Mar 1, 2008 -> 08:38 PM)
I really don't understand what people wanted to happen at the end of No Country.

If that's the book's ending, then I guess that's the proper ending.

If there was no resolution coming, I would have preferred they just have the guy walk away from the crash as the end.

That Tommy Lee Jones dream conversation scene was just dumb and served no purpose to me.

The way they abruptly cut off after that last scene felt like the end of the last Sopranos episode, or like they ran out of money to complete the film.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 2, 2008 -> 12:29 PM)
Caught "Walk Hard - The Dewey Cox Story" at the brew and view last night. Very funny flick. Definitely worth a rental.

where did you go for that? My wife works at Emmetts Pub in Dundee and they offer a "Brew and a View" in the bar area.

Last time they had "The Big Lebowski" on with cheap White Russians (Caucasians)

QUOTE(The Critic @ Mar 2, 2008 -> 08:48 AM)
If that's the book's ending, then I guess that's the proper ending.

If there was no resolution coming, I would have preferred they just have the guy walk away from the crash as the end.

That Tommy Lee Jones dream conversation scene was just dumb and served no purpose to me.

The way they abruptly cut off after that last scene felt like the end of the last Sopranos episode, or like they ran out of money to complete the film.

I see where you're coming from and I guess that could've worked too.

However, they opened the film with a great TLJ dialogue so it felt right to me to end it with a TLJ dialogue. And the last lines make complete sense to me "and then I woke up." Especially after I saw it the second time. He's talking about how his dad was gonna take care of him in his dream but then he woke up and the real world just isn't as safe or perfect as in his dreams. I think it means different things to different people as well, which is what I love...a movie that makes you think about life and the world around you.

The movie ended as its title suggested. This is no country for old men. Remember when Tommy Lee Jones is speaking with the other elderly law man? They both harp on how the world has changed since they were younger, and even before that. The cowboy doesn't always ride away into the sunset after taking care of the bad guy. The bad guy wins a whole lot of the time. Chigurh was a soulless killer. If it wasn't set in stone throughout the movie, it was sure clarified when he killed the wife at the end. And what justice comes his way in the end? He breaks his arm and gets away scot free. The ending was perfect.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 2, 2008 -> 03:44 PM)
The Vic Theater on Sheffield just south of Belmont. In the city.

It was a double feature. Talladega Nights was the 2nd film.

I heard they stopped selling pitchers at the Brew and View. I used to live on Barry and Sheffield, just down the street from the Vic...many stumbling nights home from there!

I just saw 'King of Kong: A fistfull of Quarter' about one man's quest to get the high score on Donkey Kong. I found myself rooting for the good guy. I am not sure how to put the reversed out black text so i won't say any more except to say that Billy seemed like scum to me while Steve seems like a real man of honor.

Up in your posting area there's an pull down menu that says "Insert Special Item."

Click the arrow, you'll see Insert:SPOILER.

First, highlight your spoilered words, then pull down the special item box and click SPOILER.

It'll create [spoiler ] [/ SPOILER] around your text.

QUOTE(knightni @ Mar 2, 2008 -> 11:59 PM)
Up in your posting area there's an pull down menu that says "Insert Special Item."

Click the arrow, you'll see Insert:SPOILER.

First, highlight your spoilered words, then pull down the special item box and click SPOILER.

It'll create [spoiler ] [/ SPOILER] around your text.

Which is the shortcut of applying a black background with white font.

OK, short synopsys:

It starts off with a brief history of 80's classic video games, some record holders, etc. It goes into the official group for keeping the hih scores called Twin Galaxies, and highlights the record holder for Donkey Kong named Billy. Does a brief profile on Billy. He is a cocky bastard. Then is goes into this new guy named Steve. HE is a nice guy, never seems to get a break. Gets laid off on the day he closes on his new house, etc. He was checking out the high score on the Twin Galaxies website and saw the DK one, and thought he could do it. So he got a machine and started playing. High score was like 840,000 or something like that. He eventually got little over 1 million, and sent his tape into the Twin Galaxies. Well, Billy worked for them, and they didn't really want his record broke, so they sent people out to check his machine. Without him there, they took his machine apart. The twist is he had a replacement board he got from another gamer when his blew out, and the other gamer is a 'mortal enemy' of the DK record holder Billy. So, even though they couldn't find anything wrong with his, because the board came from this other guy, they wouldn't recognize the record. They urged him to come do it live, so he did. Not a million, but got like 950,000, breaking Billy record. Later that day, a video tape rrived of Billy breakin one million, just barely over the video taped record Steve had. For some reason (yeah, right), they choose to recognize Billy's taped entry. Steve is devastated, gives it up, then eventually challenges Billy to play live in his hometown arcade at a competition. Billy pusses out and doesn't go. he does make an appearance, walks right by Steve. Steve say hi, and Billy just ignores him. Movie acts like it end about there, then comes back with the word "BUT", and cuts to Steve in his garage, breaking the video taped record of Billy's. So now good guy Steve has the live record and the video taped record on DK. The Billy guy really came off looking slimy. It also made me want to go play. I used to like DK, but was never that good at it.

I just got Juno, Into the Wild, I am Legend, No country for old men, There will be blood, Bucket List and Dan in real life on DVD and Im having a hard time watching them because after about the first 15 minutes of any of them I wonder if Ill like another one better...

QUOTE(3E8 @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 07:31 PM)
I would not advise going to the twin galaxies site to see who holds the record right now

Oh, I saw it. he is still a dick, and after seeing that video, I wouldn't put it past them to have rigged it that way.