Films Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ Jan 27, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)
I didn't watch the movie, but with the tv spots and trailers....how can Meet the Spartans take in tops at the box office? Horrible waste of film and talent

I don't know how these spoof movies keep getting made. They are all bad and for some reason people keep going to see them. How many times can you use the "Say Hello to my little friend" line and than a midget comes out.

I don't know how these spoof movies keep getting made. They are all bad and for some reason people keep going to see them. How many times can you use the "Say Hello to my little friend" line and than a midget comes out.

I forget which movie I saw at the time, but when Epic Movie opened up, it was packed with teenagers and 10 year olds. They like the lame-brain jokes, and then the unrated DVD gets realized with about 15 more minutes of stupid, crude humor and some nudity. Just like WWE films, they're going to continue being made as long as there is a crowd dumb (or I should say "not smart enough") to know better.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 27, 2008 -> 03:44 PM)

Somebody used that line on Wild n out the other day and the audience was laughing uncontrollably.I wanted to cringe when he said it cause I thought the audience would boo.Little did I know they were f****ing idiots.

Saw The Savages on Friday. A pretty good dark comedy. Laura Linney and PSH were amazing--as could be expected. The script was also really well done. Basically it is a movie about a (rather dysfunctional) set of siblings who must cope with their absentee and abusive father who has slipped into serious dementia and is dying. The ending is surprisingly upbeat for an Indie film.

There were some awkward moments, though, in the theater. My friends and I were easily the youngest people there by 35 years. And apparently, this movie is not funny if you are old. So, be warned.

Finally saw Juno... VERY good movie. From the trailers, I was worried that Michael Cera would be used too much in a witty way, but I was glad to see that he was more of a complimentary character to Ellen Page. I did think that they had one too many indie rock songs (not that it's a bad thing, they're good songs, but some diversity would be nice; I can tell you the point in the film that I thought this too :P), but the use of the Kinks early on was enough to win over my heart.

Spoofs haven't really been good since, basically, the Naked Gun and Mel Brooks movies. There's the occasional one that I'll enjoy, like Mafia, but that's it.

Scary Movie was good, but the second was bad and the next two were downright terrible even with the addition of Leslie Neilson.

You guys convinced me to see Rambo, and from a movie making stand point, it wasn't good, but it was entertaining. There's no way in hell this movie is 1HR and 33 MIN long because the 10-15 minutes of previews didn't start until a few minutes after 7, and I was out of there by 8:35. This is actually the first Rambo movie I've seen, but I can't imagine the other three had as bad of a setup as this one.

Here's the whole movie:

Army takes young boys captive to turn into soldiers.

Army blows up villages

Missionaries ask Rambo to take them up the river

Conflict on the River, then the missionaries get into town.

Town gets invaded by army, missionaries taken captive.

Old man head of church asks Rambo for help, hires mercenaries to retrieve missionaries.

Mercenaries tell Rambo to stay behind, but he ends up catching up with them.

Mercenaries sneak into camp and rescue missionaries, some killings

Rambo, one mercenary, and the only chick get split from the group.

Army goes after everyone.

Army catches up to mercenaries, Rambo says the day.

Everyone starts killing each other.

Rambo goes home

There isn't any development at all, and it would been better if there were more conflicts and the camp stuff was extended a little longer. It almost seemed like a more graphic, army version of Shoot 'Em Up.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 28, 2008 -> 01:47 AM)
Saw The Savages on Friday. A pretty good dark comedy. Laura Linney and PSH were amazing--as could be expected. The script was also really well done. Basically it is a movie about a (rather dysfunctional) set of siblings who must cope with their absentee and abusive father who has slipped into serious dementia and is dying. The ending is surprisingly upbeat for an Indie film.

There were some awkward moments, though, in the theater. My friends and I were easily the youngest people there by 35 years. And apparently, this movie is not funny if you are old. So, be warned.

interesting. I was pondering going to see this at our independent theatre, I think I'll give it a shot. I'm in a college town so I don't think the age thing will happen. This week they have the diving bell and the butterfly, if I have the title correct, about the editor of French Elle who suffered a massive stroke paralyzing all movement except for his one eye, which could blink. He then writes his whole autobiography by blinking. It sounds fascinating to me, to be trapped in your body like that. I can't wait.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 27, 2008 -> 08:57 PM)
Scary Movie was good, but the second was bad and the next two were downright terrible even with the addition of Leslie Neilson.

You guys convinced me to see Rambo, and from a movie making stand point, it wasn't good, but it was entertaining. There's no way in hell this movie is 1HR and 33 MIN long because the 10-15 minutes of previews didn't start until a few minutes after 7, and I was out of there by 8:35. This is actually the first Rambo movie I've seen, but I can't imagine the other three had as bad of a setup as this one.

Here's the whole movie:

Army takes young boys captive to turn into soldiers.

Army blows up villages

Missionaries ask Rambo to take them up the river

Conflict on the River, then the missionaries get into town.

Town gets invaded by army, missionaries taken captive.

Old man head of church asks Rambo for help, hires mercenaries to retrieve missionaries.

Mercenaries tell Rambo to stay behind, but he ends up catching up with them.

Mercenaries sneak into camp and rescue missionaries, some killings

Rambo, one mercenary, and the only chick get split from the group.

Army goes after everyone.

Army catches up to mercenaries, Rambo says the day.

Everyone starts killing each other.

Rambo goes home

There isn't any development at all, and it would been better if there were more conflicts and the camp stuff was extended a little longer. It almost seemed like a more graphic, army version of Shoot 'Em Up.

You really should see the first Rambo. It is the best out of the series. After that one the tone of the series really changes.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 27, 2008 -> 08:09 PM)
Galaxy Quest was fairly amusing.

I love that movie. Tony Shalub is hysterical in his role, in fact the whole crew is pretty funny in that movie. Hopefully down the line they can come up with another Galaxy Quest.

Its not so much of a spoof as the Scary Movie-Date Movie type movies though, not as many slapstick gags and stupid awful lines (say hello to my lil friend!)

Edited by kyyle23

i was thinking about it today. I'm less upset. It was probably a lot of early teenagers getting into a pg 13 that is kind of raunchy and silly. It fits their age group. This offends me less than norbit being up for an oscar.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 28, 2008 -> 12:05 AM)
interesting. I was pondering going to see this at our independent theatre, I think I'll give it a shot. I'm in a college town so I don't think the age thing will happen. This week they have the diving bell and the butterfly, if I have the title correct, about the editor of French Elle who suffered a massive stroke paralyzing all movement except for his one eye, which could blink. He then writes his whole autobiography by blinking. It sounds fascinating to me, to be trapped in your body like that. I can't wait.

It's worth a view.

I want to see how The Diving Bell and the Butterfly--I've heard it's amazing.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 08:51 AM)
Saw Bee Movie. Thought it was pretty dam funny. I think if you're a fan of Seinfeld you'd like it. The story is a bit out there, but I thought the dialogue was funny.

i dont even pay attention to stories anymore when I am watching movie cartoons with my kids, i just pay attention to the humor