Films Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that any of you would have, but don't see Funny Games. You probably haven't even heard of it, but it stars Tim Roth and Naomi Watts. It is, without a doubt, the worst movie I have ever seen in a theater. It almost seemed like the movie was daring me to walk out of it, which I did with only about 5 minutes left. I couldn't even stand to watch those few final minutes of absolute f***ing s***.

I just had to vent.

Watched Tsotsi last night. Nice little flick about a thug in Johannesburg that discovers a baby in the back seat of the car he had stolen. Nice cinematography and an emotional story. Would recommend to anyone who doesn't mind subtitled films.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 06:52 AM)
Didn't read The Hunt for Red October. Disagree about Lord of the Rings.

Agree completely on LOTR. The films were really good and all, but the books are among the best fiction the 20th century has to offer. I don't think anybody will ever be able to pull off what Tolkien did — creating not just entire worlds, geographies, histories, and mythologies, but actually going so far as to build entire functional languages based on his expertise as an ancient language academic scholar.

I make a point of re-reading the books every few years and I'm always completely blown away by what he was able to accomplish.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 09:42 AM)
Watched Tsotsi last night. Nice little flick about a thug in Johannesburg that discovers a baby in the back seat of the car he had stolen. Nice cinematography and an emotional story. Would recommend to anyone who doesn't mind subtitled films.

Did I recommend that to you a few months ago? I put it on here as a recommendation and someone told me they were putting it on their netflix queue. It is a good movie, it makes you think about what happens in some of the less fortunate parts of the world.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 12:04 PM)
Agree completely on LOTR. The films were really good and all, but the books are among the best fiction the 20th century has to offer. I don't think anybody will ever be able to pull off what Tolkien did — creating not just entire worlds, geographies, histories, and mythologies, but actually going so far as to build entire functional languages based on his expertise as an ancient language academic scholar.

I make a point of re-reading the books every few years and I'm always completely blown away by what he was able to accomplish.

I actually feel the same way about Raymond Fiests Magician/Riftwar books. If you havent already, you should check them out. Starting with "Magician:Apprentice"

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 12:04 PM)

Some books you appreciate more than you enjoy - know what I mean? The LOTR books were that way for me. I could have great respect and awe for what Tolkien created, but, I could never get as fully into the books as some other people did. To me, the movies were one of those rare instances where the films brought the story to life in a way the books didn't. But I admit, I am probably in the minority on this one.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 12:40 PM)
Did I recommend that to you a few months ago? I put it on here as a recommendation and someone told me they were putting it on their netflix queue. It is a good movie, it makes you think about what happens in some of the less fortunate parts of the world.

I had wanted to see this since it came out a few years back but you might have reminded me to throw it in the queue.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 12:42 PM)
I actually feel the same way about Raymond Fiests Magician/Riftwar books. If you havent already, you should check them out. Starting with "Magician:Apprentice"

Very good books, though I don't know if I'd put them on the same level as LotR.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 07:57 PM)
Not that any of you would have, but don't see Funny Games. You probably haven't even heard of it, but it stars Tim Roth and Naomi Watts. It is, without a doubt, the worst movie I have ever seen in a theater. It almost seemed like the movie was daring me to walk out of it, which I did with only about 5 minutes left. I couldn't even stand to watch those few final minutes of absolute f***ing s***.

I just had to vent.

I saw the original - not sure why they remade it.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 01:42 PM)

I have read the riftwar saga as well, and I thought they were quite good. I thought Sethanon got a bit too heavy in its borrowing of Tolkienesque themes and how the ultimate evil could only be stopped by a couple of unlikely heroes, etc., but I liked them.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 05:18 PM)
I have read the riftwar saga as well, and I thought they were quite good. I thought Sethanon got a bit too heavy in its borrowing of Tolkienesque themes and how the ultimate evil could only be stopped by a couple of unlikely heroes, etc., but I liked them.

I wont say that they are on the same level as Tolkien, because you are absolutely correct that there is some borrowed themes. my point was actually in regards to Fiest being able to create entire races/cultures/languages/politics within a book.

If someone tried to conquer those books in the same manner that Peter Jackson did LotR, I think the movies would be phenomenal. JMO

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 09:26 AM)
"21" taking a beating on Rotten Tomatoes. I enjoyed the book.

Ebert gave it 1 and a half stars. I was gonna go see it today but now am gonna wait to see what some other movie goers think.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 09:26 AM)
"21" taking a beating on Rotten Tomatoes. I enjoyed the book.

Looking at the previews, it looks like the took the story and tried to make it a flash-bang action movie. As usual, most of Hollywood's studios seem to think the public prefers brawn over brains.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 12:59 PM)
As usual, most of Hollywood's studios seem to think the public prefers brawn over brains.

That is why the public is really starting to lean towards indie films for the entertainment.

QUOTE(Brian @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 11:46 AM)
Ebert gave it 1 and a half stars. I was gonna go see it today but now am gonna wait to see what some other movie goers think.

It was alright, nothing more...the ending had one too many twists.

QUOTE(shipps @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 01:28 PM)
That is why the public is really starting to lean towards indie films for the entertainment.

The box office begs to differ - 2007's top 20 grossing films:

1 Spider-Man 3 Sony $336,530,303

2 Shrek the Third P/DW $322,719,944

3 Transformers P/DW $319,246,193

4 Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End BV $309,420,425

5 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix WB $292,004,738

6 I Am Legend WB $256,279,068

7 The Bourne Ultimatum Uni. $227,471,070

8 National Treasure: Book of Secrets BV $217,684,901

9 Alvin and the Chipmunks Fox $216,050,880

10 300 WB $210,614,939

11 Ratatouille BV $206,445,654

12 The Simpsons Movie Fox $183,135,014

13 Wild Hogs BV $168,273,550

14 Knocked Up Uni. $148,768,917

15 Juno FoxS $141,491,126

16 Rush Hour 3 NL $140,125,968

17 Live Free or Die Hard Fox $134,529,403

18 Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer Fox $131,921,738

19 American Gangster Uni. $130,164,645

20 Enchanted BV $127,807,262

I think people like an indie-feeling film once in a while as a change of pace, but the numbers show that by and large, most people still like dumb comedies, kids' movies, and s*** blowing up.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 08:34 PM)
Just to get you more consumed by the story, excited for the release. It's the new brand of internet marketing that I think is fantastic.

It also is a lot cheaper then running 30 second spots on TV constantly.

I wouldn't exactly call them new. The strategy dates back at least to Blair Witch Project. AI also did a lot of viral/stealth web marketing back when it came out. Those are the two big early ones that come to mind.