Official NFL Thread

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Jan 5, 2008 -> 11:19 PM)
Dumb play calling almost lost them the game. They all of a sudden seemed to forget they were a running team in the second half.

Yeah they definitely needed to keep the run going in the second half, they were not as conservative as I thought they would be heading in to the third and fourth quarter. Im also surprised at how much they used MJD with how hot Fred Taylor has been recently.

This was a nice win overall for Jacksonville franchise because I believe this is only their 3rd playoff win from what I remember their other two wins coming back when they had the Jimmy Smith and Brunell combo beating Buffalo and Denver and eventually losing to New England of all teams.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JFields27 @ Jan 5, 2008 -> 10:58 PM)
This might be somewhat interesting

What are everyones predictions for tomorrows games?

Tennessee Titans @ San Diego Chargers(-3)

New York Giants @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers(-10)

Mine:

Tennessee -- 13 San Diego -- 20

New York -- 24 Tampa Bay -- 23

guess not .. :unsure:

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 6, 2008 -> 04:27 PM)
I don't know why, but i don't like Philip Rivers. Something in my subconscious. I do think he is overrated, but there are other overrated players that I like. Weird.

I share your sentiments, I think i dislike him because I think he's a cry baby.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jan 6, 2008 -> 04:41 PM)
I share your sentiments, I think i dislike him because I think he's a cry baby.

He just isn't a very good QB. He has little arm strength and bad accuracy. That toss to Gates that ANtonio got hurt on was awful. Hit him in stride and he gets 8 yards. The throw to a wide open Vincent Jackson was bad as well. Had to stop and make the catch. Hit him in stride and he may score.

How do you only hand the ball to the games best RB 7 times in one half?

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 6, 2008 -> 04:46 PM)
He just isn't a very good QB. He has little arm strength and bad accuracy. That toss to Gates that ANtonio got hurt on was awful. Hit him in stride and he gets 8 yards. The throw to a wide open Vincent Jackson was bad as well. Had to stop and make the catch. Hit him in stride and he may score.

How do you only hand the ball to the games best RB 7 times in one half?

Its the Turner family legacy, screwing up offenses and getting paid handsomely for it.

Norv's just a wonderful coach isn't he.

As for Rivers, he looked pretty good last season under Marty / Cameron, but he has certainly regressed this season.

Giants vs. Cowboys should be a good contest next week. Giants are 8-1 on the road this season, and that 1 loss was in the opening game of the season, against the Cowboys.

The game rides on TO's dodgy ankle IMHO. Take him out, and I don't know if we can win.

QUOTE(JFields27 @ Jan 5, 2008 -> 10:58 PM)
This might be somewhat interesting

What are everyones predictions for tomorrows games?

Tennessee Titans @ San Diego Chargers(-3)

New York Giants @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers(-10)

Mine:

Tennessee -- 13 San Diego -- 20

New York -- 24 Tampa Bay -- 23

2-0 :sweep:

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Jan 5, 2008 -> 10:59 PM)
Theres that slight chacne :lol:

Jacksonville's RBs didn't do so hot today, if the weather is cold enough in New England that it turns into a running game then the Jaguars could make a game of it.

So I guess if your looking to see an upset hope for lots of snow in Foxboro. Just a hunch.

How much is it going to have to snow to stop the New England passing attack? 4 inches?

This looks like an easy win for New England, especially with a week of rest.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 01:46 AM)
How much is it going to have to snow to stop the New England passing attack? 4 inches?

This looks like an easy win for New England, especially with a week of rest.

New England is unbeaten, not unbeatable. It's not a coincidence that the teams that actually have the balls to blitz Brady aggressively and force him into making mistakes are the ones that have been the closest to winning. Those teams also have a versatile rushing attack... NE had no answer for Addai, Westbrook, or even McGahee off the top of my head. I happen to think Jacksonville has a very good chance of beating the Pats. I don't necessarily think the Jags will win but it certainly won't be easy for the Pats.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 03:03 AM)
New England is unbeaten, not unbeatable. It's not a coincidence that the teams that actually have the balls to blitz Brady aggressively and force him into making mistakes are the ones that have been the closest to winning. Those teams also have a versatile rushing attack... NE had no answer for Addai, Westbrook, or even McGahee off the top of my head. I happen to think Jacksonville has a very good chance of beating the Pats. I don't necessarily think the Jags will win but it certainly won't be easy for the Pats.

So long as the wind cooperates, MJD and Taylor can run all damn day on the Patriots defense and they still won't score enough to beat New England. If the wind is bad, then it might be a good game, though nothing I saw out of Jacksonville leads me to believe that they have enough of a passing game for New England to respect it. I expect to see 7-8 in the box all game long from them, and they'll make Garrard beat them. If he can make it close, by all means, but he may have to produce 3-4 touchdowns through the air for it to be a close game, and even then you still have one of the greatest offenses of all time on the other side.

There are about 3-4 scenarios I see where this is a decent game; all else conclude in New England thrashing Jacksonville. Thus, I figure it's an easy win for New England.

It really shows the sad state of the NFL in terms of elite teams that the Giants won that game so handily in the playoffs. I've never been less-impressed with a playoff team that won on the road.

Seriously, the QB play in the NFL needs to adjust to get to the level that these monsters on the defensive lines have, or else these games will continue to not be pretty. Extended drives just don't happen as often as they used to... it seems that teams score on homeruns more and more.

I am expecting NE to blow Jacksonville out. I know everyone thinks it'll be close and everyone's mother thinks Jacksonville will "expose" New England. I just think NE will stuff the box, make the QB throw, and the truth is that he's not so good. Can their defense contain NE? Probably not.

But I am interested to see what happens. I'm looking forward to that game.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 8, 2008 -> 01:58 PM)
Yeah a bit sad about Gibbs, although I shouldn't be saying that as a Cowboys fan.

Do they go with Gregg Williams or Al Saunders, or does Snyder give big money to Bill Cowher?

I bet he at least tries the big money to Cowher.

Actually I'm worried Snyder's really going to go after Jason Garrett, just to screw the Cowboys.

That's if the Ravens don't get him first.

Losing Ireland, Sparano and Garrett in 1 off-season, that would majorly hurt the Cowboys big time.