Official NFL Thread

It's hard to compare Brady's season to what [bert] Jones did in 1976 without all the fancy normalizing math from the book, but let's compare Brady's 2007 season to Manning's 2004 season. Manning had 49 touchdowns with just 497 pass attempts. If we assume Brady plays next week like he has the last few games, he'll end up with something like 51 touchdowns in 570 pass attempts. Yes, that gives him more touchdowns, but it isn't as impressive when it takes him 73 more pass attempts to score them.

In addition, Brady has now dropped to 8.3 average yards per attempt. In his record-setting season, Manning averaged 9.2 yards per attempt. That's a huge difference.

Brady has been straining so hard to set records in conventional stats that his season now looks worse in the eyes of advanced stats.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heads, I saw that post of yours trying to diminish what Brady's done. There's a huge difference between the team Manning had and the team Brady has. New England is simply designed to throw, even short. That, more than some desperation for the record, is the difference in pass attempts.

New England is a better franchise. Bill Belichick is almost undeniably a greater coach. Tom Brady is his generation's Montana; Manning is Marino. I know who I prefer.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 29, 2007 -> 10:33 PM)
Heads, I saw that post of yours trying to diminish what Brady's done. There's a huge difference between the team Manning had and the team Brady has. New England is simply designed to throw, even short. That, more than some desperation for the record, is the difference in pass attempts.

New England is a better franchise. Bill Belichick is almost undeniably a greater coach. Tom Brady is his generation's Montana; Manning is Marino. I know who I prefer.

To each their own I guess. I prefer a class organization that still wins all of the time. Throw in the fact that the Colts had a bevy of injuries against NE and for much of the season, and I still think it's anyone's game when they meet up in Foxboro.

Manning still had his 49 in 15 games, which Brady did not, but Tom can keep the record. I'd still rather have Peyton and we have just as good of a shot to upset the Patriots as anyone. It should make a difference with Harrison, Sanders and Gonzalez back.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 29, 2007 -> 11:33 PM)

Until someone writes a book about the genius of the Colts.

Just a few notes:

1. There are no bigger crybabies in the NFL than the Dungy-Manning Colts.

2. I know Marino didn't have a Superbowl win, but the comparison is still there. Better stats, less Super Bowl victories.

3. "Class organization that still wins all the time". Except in the playoffs. Besides, I reject any characterization of the Patriots as "classless". What Belichick is, whatever it is, is what I'd like to be. "Classless" isn't the word for it, and anybody with a decent familiarity of the man knows that. But he is a bristling contrarian and a perfectionist and a genius in his art. f*** if being a "nice guy" matters.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 30, 2007 -> 01:03 AM)
Just a few notes:

1. There are no bigger crybabies in the NFL than the Dungy-Manning Colts.

2. I know Marino didn't have a Superbowl win, but the comparison is still there. Better stats, less Super Bowl victories.

3. "Class organization that still wins all the time". Except in the playoffs. Besides, I reject any characterization of the Patriots as "classless". What Belichick is, whatever it is, is what I'd like to be. "Classless" isn't the word for it, and anybody with a decent familiarity of the man knows that. But he is a bristling contrarian and a perfectionist and a genius in his art. f*** if being a "nice guy" matters.

1. The Chargers say hi.

2. Marino and Manning are no longer linked. Manning got his Super Bowl, proving he could win the big game. And he broke/will break every career record as well.

3. See no. 2. They do win in the playoffs, I believe a Super Bowl ring means that.

4. Stop slurping Belichick already. It's f***ing annoying.

You and I have talked about this enough. Belichick is a bum.