Official NFL Thread

I have a few notes on this NE/Indy "Class" debate.

Heads, there's a woman on record as saying that Peyton Manning said some nasty things to her and she wasn't a stranger while he was drinking in a bar, and she wasn't topless or trying to be, either. She was, what? His trainer? I know she worked for his College team as a fitness woman of some sort. You know the story I reference?

In 1996, while still quarterback at the University of Tennessee, Manning dropped his pants while being treated by assistant athletic trainer Jamie Ann Naughright. After an investigation, the university concluded the incident was a "mooning" gone awry and not sexual in nature, and Manning was disciplined and required to apologize in writing to Naughright. [39] The university chose to settle Naughright's sexual harassment claims (which included the Manning incident) for $300,000.[40] In 2003, Manning settled a 2002 lawsuit filed by Naughright for $300,000. In the suit Naughright alleged that "Manning: A Father, His Sons and a Football Legacy", a book written by Manning, his father and author John Underwood, defamed her.[41]

There's a more explicit version out there somewhere, but that Manning was sued for sexual harassment by a trainer isn't exactly class.

I'm not sure I believe her story anymore than the one against Seau -- or believe it entirely. I'm sure both incidents happened, but the circumstances are hazy and I'm not sure they are bad people or anything. I'm not willing to go there, for Seau or Manning. I will say that they aren't exactly Men of God and so classlessness from a football player doesn't surprise me. Not everyone can be, I don't know, LT (who will remind you all day and night how classy he is). I'm just saying, if you want to prove your football team is class, you should make sure your own examples aren't mirrored by certain players on your team, let alone the star pretty boy with the commercials.

And more about classlessness: Isn't what the Colts did in Baltimore the epitome of classlessness? Just leaving in the middle of the night on a truck? And by the way -- you brought up an injury or two during the game against NE. Well, last year in the playoffs, Harrison was out for NE. But there are no excuses. If your guys are all on the field against NE, Belichick and Dungy will both have different gameplans. It isn't as if they'll just pretend that different players haven't been plopped on the field. Can Indy beat New England? Definitely. Would I bet on it? No. Would you? Maybe, but I'd advise against it. New England is simply better coached and is overall a better team.

Any team that beats New England will have to be an excellent team, with an excellent gameplan, near-perfect execution (hell, it might take perfect execution) and a bit of luck.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 01:19 PM)
I am only saying, everybody (and every organization in the history of man) has their embarrassments.

This I completely agree with. Every NFL team has had their share of "skeletons in the closet"

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 02:48 PM)
Nothing says class like calling the most accurate kicker in NFL history who made a ton of big kicks for your team a "drunken idiot" on national television.

Well, I dont know that I would say anything different after Vanderjagt calls out the coach and QB. Vanderjagt himself has missed a few too many playoff game-winnign field goals to be calling out Peyton Manning

Well back on the NFL, the Dolphins hired Jeff Ireland as their GM.

Excellent hire, and they'll be a +.500 team within 2 seasons.

Ireland constructed most of our team through the draft and he's got an excellent record.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 04:57 PM)
Tony Dungy was classless when he had a chance to call a timeout and get his team the ball back so they could try to win the game and get the Browns in the playoffs, but he didn't. It probably wouldn't have mattered, but I lost a lot of respect for him after that.

Tony Dungy needs to worry about one team making the playoffs, thats the Indianapolis Colts. Why should he care about the Browns making the playoffs?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 09:13 AM)
Bears?

Trade for Anderson?

The Browns are going to put a 1st and a 3rd tender on him (same thing as Michael Turner had).

Quinn is signed to a 9M/5 year deal, so that's very workable for a backup.

I'd say it's more likely the Bears sign McNabb in the off-season, as he won't cost any compensation.

But neither Anderson or McNabb or Grossman or Orton, will be effective, unless they can fix the O-Line.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 02:57 PM)
Tony Dungy was classless when he had a chance to call a timeout and get his team the ball back so they could try to win the game and get the Browns in the playoffs, but he didn't. It probably wouldn't have mattered, but I lost a lot of respect for him after that.

Why should Dungy want the Browns in the playoffs more than the Titans?

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 05:57 PM)

I needed a good laugh; much appreciated.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:04 AM)
care to explain? It was bulls*** what he did. I could care less if he rests his players, but try to win the f***in game and don't bend over like a little b****.

The Colts owe the Browns nothing. The Colts took care of business and secured their spot in the playoffs and the first round bye; they don't need to worry about what benefits and doesn't benefit other teams.

It's pretty simple.

The Browns are out of the playoffs because of their own play, not the Colts.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 05:13 PM)
Derek Anderson is Rex Grossman part 2. I'm not sure why we would give away a 1st and 3rd when we have the same player already on our roster.

I'd personally rather have Anderson than Grossman, but maybe that's just me.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 05:42 PM)
Why should Dungy want the Browns in the playoffs more than the Titans?

This sums it up perfectly. The Titans are a solid team, but the Browns have the talent to do some damage in the playoffs.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 04:13 PM)
Bears?

Trade for Anderson?

I think that might be one of the worse moves they could make. Trading for a flash in the pan who could easily come back down to Earth would be a bad idea.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 12:04 AM)
care to explain? It was bulls*** what he did. I could care less if he rests his players, but try to win the f***in game and don't bend over like a little b****.

Give me a break!! If Cleveland wanted to be in the playoffs, they should not have lost to a HORRIBLE Cincinnati team in week 16. Indianapolis earned that #2 seed and first round bye, and thus earned the right to do whatever the hell they wanted to on Sunday night.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 10:51 AM)
Give me a break!! If Cleveland wanted to be in the playoffs, they should not have lost to a HORRIBLE Cincinnati team in week 16. Indianapolis earned that #2 seed and first round bye, and thus earned the right to do whatever the hell they wanted to on Sunday night.

If you have nothing to gain by winning, you keep your best players on the bench once you feel they've gotten enough playing time to keep them sharp. As for the time out, if you lose a 2nd stringer, that could cost you a playoff game if your starter gets injured in a playoff game. I don't blame the Colts one damn bit. And as a Sox fan, let me add this: f*** Cleveland. :D

Kerry Collins, speaking on WFAN, said that the Titans kneeled down at the end of the Colts-Titans game because they knew the Colts wouldn't call a timeout.

Collins said that the Titans originally called a running play, but he was told over his headset that the Colts wouldn't call a timeout to potentially force Tennessee to punt with less than 20 seconds left. Pressed further, Collins said the Colts and Titans coaches had "a communication," which is sure to raise collusion questions. Clearly it would have been a long shot for the Colts to win, but Browns fans won't enjoy hearing this one.

Related: Browns, Colts

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 10:55 AM)
Kerry Collins, speaking on WFAN, said that the Titans kneeled down at the end of the Colts-Titans game because they knew the Colts wouldn't call a timeout.

Collins said that the Titans originally called a running play, but he was told over his headset that the Colts wouldn't call a timeout to potentially force Tennessee to punt with less than 20 seconds left. Pressed further, Collins said the Colts and Titans coaches had "a communication," which is sure to raise collusion questions. Clearly it would have been a long shot for the Colts to win, but Browns fans won't enjoy hearing this one.

Related: Browns, Colts

Maybe the media will talk about this as much as "Spygate" and maybe Rex Grossman will go on TV like Donovan McNabb and question whether the Colts won the Super Bowl fair or not.

Really, I am disappointed in that -- "had a communication". I just hope the terrible Titans enjoying losing in the first round, Vince Young or Kerry Collins.