Why do you still watch the Sox?

Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Jul 24, 2007 -> 01:23 AM)
I still watch and follow the Sox because I've been a White Sox fan for 50 some years(!!). I've endured worse teams and seasons than this.

:gosox2:

I'm with you, Brother. This is not nearly as bad as it has been at times in the past. At least they are not moving the team, and the Manager isn't Don Gutteridge asleep on the bench with eyes painted on his glasses. There are no Claudell Washingtons on this team, as inconsistant as Uribe can be at short he's not Alan Bannister, who was consistant in the wrong direction.

Things will need to get whole lot worse before I don't watch the White Sox.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watch the Sox because

1-I love baseball, it is my favorite sport by far

2-I love the White Sox, they are my favorite team by far

3-Even if the White Sox suck really bad, if I watch them, then I am still partaking in #1 and #2

QUOTE(Rooftop Shots @ Jul 24, 2007 -> 12:17 AM)
If they lose and do poorly, I'll go down with them till the end. If everyone else on the board cannot do the same, I can't but help question of how loyal of a Sox fan that you say you are.

Yeah, loyalty must be my issue b/c I can't tune in for this complete and utter suckfest.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 24, 2007 -> 05:04 AM)
Oh it's something. How you can go from being one of the best teams of all time to this in a 2 year span is pretty mind boggling.

exactly..................still not quite able to grasp such a rapid decline.... still searching for a rational explanation that I can accept and move on to next season

However, I watch because I've now finally accepted the season is over and am looking for just a little joy that comes from oh, say, seeing a 7-1 score and checking back later to find they came back to win a most improbable 8-7, and watching the Baseball Tonight highlights (live in SoCal) of Pods with a clutch hit, Thome blast, AJ winner, and Jenks save to still cheering fans appreciative of the effort in a sweep. Looking for some positives to bring hope for the 08 campaign......

Games like tonight are why I still watch. Every once in a rare while you get a treat like that where you comeback from 7-1 down against the best team in the game and sweep a doubleheader. I also watch to see Fields keep getting better and see what the young guys can do. There is never really a reason to not watch, no matter how bad they are.

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Jul 24, 2007 -> 09:12 AM)
Reply to the Bold type:

I was thinking the same thing at the game. It was almost like a playoff game, the crowd last night. As bad as a season as it has been, its good to see that the fans are still into the game. I even caught myself getting into the game more so then usual this year. Like someone said earlier, all of us here are really sick, and your a fan during the good times and the bad, thats what makes the good times SO good.

I think the real point is what you just said. We should enjoy the times that are good and stay with them and find positive points when they are bad. I mean, maybe our fan base should kick it up and I don't know, do trendy fan base things. People go nuts when the upper deck does the wave, but then someone says, that's an Angels thing and we're Sox fans so we do not do that. Last night I was sitting in the upper deck on free tickets from the Sox (Yankees rainout) and in that inning when the bases were loaded, I look down and there is just an eruption of energy, people all at once getting off their asses and cheering these guys on. I mean, if they give a s*** more about their golf swing, fine, but for that moment it looked as though they were all playing as a team. This excited me more than the Cubs series. And tonight, I'm excited because we swept the doubleheader. I thought for sure that they were going to lose when it was 5-1 but each time I turned it on they were coming around. Even if we lose the game tomorrow I see signs of life from this ballclub. Just some positive things I've noticed before I comment more on a few things I didn't like.

Positives: I really like what I see out of Fields in the field and as a hitter, there's just confidence there and he looks like he could be the same as, if not better than Crede. He's not as inconsistent as Crede is, either.

Despite what many of you folks think of Jerry Owens, I believe that man to have a future on this team, even if it means he's the 4th or 5th outfielder. The guy is seeing the ball well and is really hitting right now.

I can't tell you how excited I am to have Buehrle signed because he is great. The game goes along fast and makes things interesting.

Wassermann was making some really good pitches last night and that bloop single was luck.

Konerko is a beast right now. Right on, Paulie.

A few things I do not like...

F-bomb female dog (aka Bukvich) is frustrating at times to watch. Or maybe it is Thornton. I hardly can stand anyone out there but Jenks and Haeger. Haeger is the man, "he's my boy blue."

Dye and Pods look tired and their arms are awful. Not to mention JD is sooo slow in right field.

I don't see why Toby Hall is still catching. The poor guy's arm is going to fall off and I'm worried about his status for next year if something goes wrong as a setback from his shoulder injury.

I'm fickle when it comes to Iguchi and Uribe, they are off and on with how they play, so I can't judge. Though Uribe made a nice play and Iguchi got a nice hit. The same goes for Thome who usually has a nice day.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 24, 2007 -> 09:12 AM)
Frankly I don't really watch much anymore. Read the box scores and shake my head.

If you do that then you'll end up like me during the 2005 season, that's what I did for the second half of the season and look what happened. I felt like an idiot afterwards and to this day I wish I would have been there watching them towards the end of the season in the race to get the playoffs. (I watched all of the playoffs but it definitely wasn't the same.) So try and watch because they have been exciting to watch in this series.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 01:45 AM)
The only reason I watch is to see Jim "choke breath" Thome fail in every clutch situation because he's overpaid and his face is stupid.

Rowand would have won the division last year; Thome just sucks

QUOTE(Beastly @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 01:40 AM)
If you do that then you'll end up like me during the 2005 season, that's what I did for the second half of the season and look what happened. I felt like an idiot afterwards and to this day I wish I would have been there watching them towards the end of the season in the race to get the playoffs. (I watched all of the playoffs but it definitely wasn't the same.) So try and watch because they have been exciting to watch in this series.

Please don't tell me you are seriously comparing this team with the 2005 team.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 09:24 AM)
Please don't tell me you are seriously comparing this team with the 2005 team.

I'm not. I'm just saying you should watch the game because if something really good happens, you will miss it.

We should trade Thome to a contender. Give him a chance to win a crown somewhere.

He's contributed to the Sox but he's getting old and remains an injury threat.

He deserves to win a World Series.

Trade Thome.

We should trade Thome to a contender. Give him a chance to win a crown somewhere.

He's contributed to the Sox but he's getting old and remains an injury threat.

He deserves to win a World Series.

Trade Thome.

Well since you apparently know who's going to win the world series, how about spilling the beans for the rest of us?

Well since you apparently know who's going to win the world series, how about spilling the beans for the rest of us?

That team is Cleveland. Send him back to Cleveland so he can win it with his original

team.

Aaron Guiel, by the way, is as good as the stiffs we trot out there every night

in the outfield.

If you want to point out my bad posts, predictions ... point out some of my good ones as

well.