Teixeira deal done

thedoctor

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You knew someone would get Salty. I wonder what the two prospects are. That is quite a haul for Teixera, who is a really good player, but that is a boatload to give up. Texas building for the future, smart deal for them, I think.

Depending on who those other two pitching prospects are, I think Atlanta gave up quite a bit. No doubt, Teixera is probably the games best defensive first baseman, a very good hitter, this certainly does fill a position of need for Atlana, and they didn't give up anyone playing any prominent role on the current Atlanta team. However, 4 players...2 of them at least highly thought of is a big package.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 08:38 AM)
Smart deal for Atlanta, too.

I dunno, have people actually paid attention to Tex's numbers the last 2years? They're good, but they're not nearly where they were back in 05. He's only hit 13 home runs this year. His OPS was 950 in 05, dropped to 885 last year, and is @ 920 this year (with some minor injury issues). And that's while hitting in Texas, not in Turner Field. I really have been wondering whether or not he's really going to be the long term 40 hr guy people thought 2 years ago.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 10:41 AM)
Depending on who those other two pitching prospects are, I think Atlanta gave up quite a bit. No doubt, Teixera is probably the games best defensive first baseman, a very good hitter, this certainly does fill a position of need for Atlana, and they didn't give up anyone playing any prominent role on the current Atlanta team. However, 4 players...2 of them at least highly thought of is a big package.

I think that this would preclude us from dealing with the Braves now, but definitely sets the market very high for top line talent.

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 11:45 AM)
I think that this would preclude us from dealing with the Braves now, but definitely sets the market very high for top line talent.

I agree totally that the Braves are out of play for us...and now that the Braves have set the ball in motion maybe we will see some more reasonable offers for players we have on the blocks.

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 09:45 AM)

Only if the player is coveted. If Anaheim wasnt interested Atlanta wouldnt have given up as much as they did.

and Elvis Andrus is one of the other prospects, so Texas is really getting a nice package here

This is a great deal for Texas. Catcher has been one of their biggest needs since Pudge left, and they have one now. They can use him at 1st if need be too. Andrus and Harrison included only makes it that much sweeter. Great haul for Texas...not sure what Atlanta was thinking. Teixeira isn't the guy he was a couple years back.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 11:39 AM)
This is a great deal for Texas. Catcher has been one of their biggest needs since Pudge left, and they have one now. They can use him at 1st if need be too. Andrus and Harrison included only makes it that much sweeter. Great haul for Texas...not sure what Atlanta was thinking. Teixeira isn't the guy he was a couple years back.

In his book, Schuerholz does a lot of talking about the Fred McGriff trade and the night Fulton County caught fire. He's looking to do the same this season.

This isn't such a bad deal for Atlanta at all. Salty = second to McCann, with good reason. He was just a trade chip for them. They've filled their huge hole at first base. Sure, they gave up Elvis, who is phenomenal, but who knows how he'll end up. That's a crapshoot -- and besides, they've got Renteria and Escobar. With the pitchers, that's always a crapshoot, too, especially when any injuries are involved, but it's a trade off that's definitely worth it and it doesn't do terrible harm to their system because these guys were expendable, and Atlanta's farm is self-sustaining.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 11:38 AM)
teixeira is from Baltimore!!!

yeah but he played at GT.....i guess hes not necessarily local where hes from, but he was a star player at GT and most ATL baseball fans certainly knew who he was

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 11:39 AM)

Keep in mind he had a stint on the DL, which explains the 13 home runs. And who knows how long he was playing hurt before going on the DL. He's also a Gold Glove first baseman and still ranks 11th in the AL in OPS. This is a fairly low cost for Atlanta, especially since Saltalamacchia wasn't going to supplant McCann at catcher or anything.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 11:48 AM)
Keep in mind he had a stint on the DL, which explains the 13 home runs. And who knows how long he was playing hurt before going on the DL. He's also a Gold Glove first baseman and still ranks 11th in the AL in OPS. This is a fairly low cost for Atlanta, especially since Saltalamacchia wasn't going to supplant McCann at catcher or anything.

Yes.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 09:48 AM)

He has those 13 home runs in 286 at bats. A normal season for him is about 600 at bats, so he'd be on a 26-27 home run/year pace. That's way down from where he was even just 2 years ago. And that's still while playing in Texas.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 11:50 AM)
He has those 13 home runs in 286 at bats. A normal season for him is about 600 at bats, so he'd be on a 26-27 home run/year pace. That's way down from where he was even just 2 years ago. And that's still while playing in Texas.

But how long was he playing hurt? Trade rumors have been circulating around him for a bit, and it's hard to trade a guy who's on the DL, so he may have kept playing and hoping the pain would subside. I don't think there's any reason to think he won't be back to hitting 35+ home runs per year.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 11:54 AM)
But how long was he playing hurt? Trade rumors have been circulating around him for a bit, and it's hard to trade a guy who's on the DL, so he may have kept playing and hoping the pain would subside. I don't think there's any reason to think he won't be back to hitting 35+ home runs per year.

You expect him to hit 22 home runs in 2 months? I just don't see it from him this season. Maybe next year, but think of the ballparks in that division...

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 04:42 PM)
This isn't such a bad deal for Atlanta at all. Salty = second to McCann, with good reason. He was just a trade chip for them. They've filled their huge hole at first base. Sure, they gave up Elvis, who is phenomenal, but who knows how he'll end up. That's a crapshoot -- and besides, they've got Renteria and Escobar. With the pitchers, that's always a crapshoot, too, especially when any injuries are involved, but it's a trade off that's definitely worth it and it doesn't do terrible harm to their system because these guys were expendable, and Atlanta's farm is self-sustaining.

Hah, this was predictable.

JS is giving up six years of Salty -- a catcher who, if he wasn't behind McCann, could probably step in and be one of the top eight catchers in all of baseball -- along with some other good prospects for a year-and-a-half of Tiexera. Basically, if Atlanta doesn't win it this year, I can't see this being a very good trade for Atlanta...

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 10:02 AM)
I wonder is KW was talking to Atlanta at all about Dye. This is just a ridiculously good deal for Texas. I've always though Teixeira was overrated.

Well, unfortunately, Dye doesn't seem to be nearly as good of a fit for Atlanta as Tex. Tex is there next year if Jones walks, so they still have that bat then, Tex plays 1b at a GG level, Dye is an OF, the Braves have some of the worst production in MLB out of their 1b slot, and the Braves have Francoeur, Harris, and Jones all producing well in the OF for them. I just don't see why that deal would make sense for the Braves.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 10:02 AM)
Hah, this was predictable.

JS is giving up six years of Salty -- a catcher who, if he wasn't behind McCann, could probably step in and be one of the top eight catchers in all of baseball -- along with some other good prospects for a year-and-a-half of Tiexera. Basically, if Atlanta doesn't win it this year, I can't see this being a very good trade for Atlanta...

What happens if the Braves manage to resign Tex?