Garnett to Boston?

QUOTE(rangercal @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 11:21 AM)
since you're cool x infinity , I'll let you keep your $5 and remind you an NBA season only consists of 82 games, not 84. ;)

Can I get those same odds if the Celtics are only 2 games over .500? Pretty please? ;)

I don't think some of you even watch basketball, nevermind the Celtics. Rondo a scorer? What? Jefferson better numbers than Garnett next year? What? Three ballhogs? What?

Steve93 I don't even know what the hell you are on. The Celtics had the worst record in the east, yes. But they were hovering around .500 until Pierce (who was by far their best player, obviously) got hurt and they went on a losing streak. Then he came back and they did ok for a while then Danny and Doc decided it would be better to try and tank the rest of the year. Basing anything off of last year is probably one of the dumbest things you can do. Also I like how your top 3 seeds are Chicago, Orlando and Toronto. That sounds very logical.

I am a bit wary of all the hype the Celtics are getting all of a sudden; I'm not ready to put them into the NBA Finals, but I do expect them to be in the top half of the east. They need a couple more bench guys, but in the NBA you only need an 8 or 9 man rotation anyway.

The biggest issue I have with this deal on the celtics part is the window of opportunity they have at a title.... these are three players with alot of minutes on their bodies, and I'm not sure how great they will be a couple years from now.

They will need to get acclomated, and fast.... no growing pain years for this big three... they need to get comfortable and make a run at it now.

What does Boston have 3 years from now besides alot of cap issues? aging Garnett, aging Allen, aging Pierce.....

my .02

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 05:23 PM)
The biggest issue I have with this deal on the celtics part is the window of opportunity they have at a title.... these are three players with alot of minutes on their bodies, and I'm not sure how great they will be a couple years from now.

They will need to get acclomated, and fast.... no growing pain years for this big three... they need to get comfortable and make a run at it now.

What does Boston have 3 years from now besides alot of cap issues? aging Garnett, aging Allen, aging Pierce.....

my .02

when all those players are off the books, they might have money to go after players like Oden. Too early to speculate, but you aren't screwed when a player retires or leaves. You are screwed if you have too many bad contracts.

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE(rangercal @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 06:22 PM)
when all those players are off the books, they might have money to go after players like Oden. Too early to speculate, but you aren't screwed when a player retires or leaves. You are screwed if you have too many bad contracts.

Unless he is a bust no way Portland let Oden leave anyways, and they can offer him the highest contract when it gets to that point too.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 03:58 PM)
I don't think some of you even watch basketball, nevermind the Celtics. Rondo a scorer? What? Jefferson better numbers than Garnett next year? What? Three ballhogs? What?

Steve93 I don't even know what the hell you are on. The Celtics had the worst record in the east, yes. But they were hovering around .500 until Pierce (who was by far their best player, obviously) got hurt and they went on a losing streak. Then he came back and they did ok for a while then Danny and Doc decided it would be better to try and tank the rest of the year. Basing anything off of last year is probably one of the dumbest things you can do. Also I like how your top 3 seeds are Chicago, Orlando and Toronto. That sounds very logical.

I am a bit wary of all the hype the Celtics are getting all of a sudden; I'm not ready to put them into the NBA Finals, but I do expect them to be in the top half of the east. They need a couple more bench guys, but in the NBA you only need an 8 or 9 man rotation anyway.

Dude, you think a bit too highly of yourself. To expect Pierce, Allen, and Garnett to play 82 games is just plain dumb, and with the steps Howard is going to take this year and the addition of Rashard Lewis, Orlando is going to be nuts, and during the second half last year Toronto was great, and is ready to take the next step.

If you want to be like the media conglomerates and crown the Celtics, that's fine... some of us think for ourselves. I don't expect you to be here admitting your wrong in May of next year... but it'll feel just ask good for me.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 09:44 PM)
Dude, you think a bit too highly of yourself. To expect Pierce, Allen, and Garnett to play 82 games is just plain dumb, and with the steps Howard is going to take this year and the addition of Rashard Lewis, Orlando is going to be nuts, and during the second half last year Toronto was great, and is ready to take the next step.

If you want to be like the media conglomerates and crown the Celtics, that's fine... some of us think for ourselves. I don't expect you to be here admitting your wrong in May of next year... but it'll feel just ask good for me.

KG hasn't missed more than 6 games in the last 8 years (and he might have played a few more the last two if his team was going somewhere), and before last year's broken foot Pierce had 6 straight seasons of at least 79 games. Even the fragile Ray Allen has played 76+ for 3 of the last 5 years. As long as any of them don't miss extended time they should be fine, and that's highly possible. Over the short term every one of those guys is capable of carrying that team.

How is Orlando any different than Boston? Okay, so Howard and Lewis are good and Nelson isn't bad, but their next two best players are Hedo Turkoglu, who will either get traded or be a lot less effective since he plays basically the same role as Lewis, and Trevor Ariza, who is a decent bench player at this point but not much else. They're not exactly a deep team either, and they've only got 2 All-Star caliber players to carry them. The one major benefit they have over Boston is that the south-east sucks, though they can still possibly end up finishing behind Washington.

Toronto does look pretty good, but they're far from a lock. They're still a very young team that only managed 47 wins in a conference that was MUCH weaker than it will be this year (yeah, they had some injury issues, but so did Washington, Miami, New Jersey, and Boston). They're probably going to need Bargnani to step up, I can't see Parker and Calderon playing quite that well again and Bosh and Ford can't do it alone.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 09:51 PM)
especially considering Jefferson might have better numbers than Garnett this season.

I like Big Al's post moves and rebounding, but he's one of the weakest defenders out of the PF slot in the entire NBA. I mean, he's really bad down there, and despite the fact taht he's still a baby in NBA terms, he has little to no defensive upside.

Meanwhile, Kevin Garnett is a defensive legend, the best rebounder in the league, the best passer out of the PF slot, and a threat to score 25 to 30 damn near every game.

I don't want to hear about Big Al having better numbers. He ain't even 1/10 of the player that Kev is.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 08:58 PM)

I feel your pain.

They have one dominant scorer on the perimiter, one in the mid-range, and one in the post. Y'all should be talking about that balance on the offensive end, but I ain't seen hamburgers.

The Nuggets? That ain't balance; that's chaos.

What's gonna hold the Celtics back from winning a championship? Team defense and bench depth. They have a potentially dominant perimiter defender in Tony Allen that most casual fans have never even heard of, and then you have Kendrick Perkins, whose shot-altering potential is immense (if he can lay off the cheeseburgers). However, most teams will be able to score at will against Ray Allen and Paul Pierce. Hell, I could score on those guys. What you have are major highs and lows; you got paint defense, which reigns supreme, but then you have some of the worst perimiter and mid-range D in the NBA, minus Tony Allen.

I'd like to see a terrific on-the-ball defensive PG like Marcus Banks running the point, but Danny Ainge wouldn't really know anything about that. :D

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 12:04 PM)
I feel your pain.

They have one dominant scorer on the perimiter, one in the mid-range, and one in the post. Y'all should be talking about that balance on the offensive end, but I ain't seen hamburgers.

The Nuggets? That ain't balance; that's chaos.

What's gonna hold the Celtics back from winning a championship? Team defense and bench depth. They have a potentially dominant perimiter defender in Tony Allen that most casual fans have never even heard of, and then you have Kendrick Perkins, whose shot-altering potential is immense (if he can lay off the cheeseburgers). However, most teams will be able to score at will against Ray Allen and Paul Pierce. Hell, I could score on those guys. What you have are major highs and lows; you got paint defense, which reigns supreme, but then you have some of the worst perimiter and mid-range D in the NBA, minus Tony Allen.

I'd like to see a terrific on-the-ball defensive PG like Marcus Banks running the point, but Danny Ainge wouldn't really know anything about that. :D

When the cards fall next year, where do you see Boston ending up? Top 8? Top 5? Top 3?

I see them making the playoffs, but i just dont know if their bench depth(or lackthereof) will allow them to compete with teams who will consistently throw fresh bodies at them.

And if any one of thier big three goes down, they will be in some serious trouble.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 08:37 PM)
When the cards fall next year, where do you see Boston ending up? Top 8? Top 5? Top 3?

I see them making the playoffs, but i just dont know if their bench depth(or lackthereof) will allow them to compete with teams who will consistently throw fresh bodies at them.

And if any one of thier big three goes down, they will be in some serious trouble.

It's difficult to say. I'll usually avoid making any predictions, but I can see them challenging for the Eastern Conference title if Rajon Rondo and Kendrick Perkins are as good as I think they are. We'll have a better idea right around the ASB.

The Bulls present a nightmare matchup, what with our perimiter scoring, bench depth, team defense, etc. We have the market cornered on energetic freaks. I absolutely loved the Joakim pick.

Steve I didn't crown them anything, unless you count "top half of the eastern conference", which I don't feel is a very bold prediction.

As has been said already, it will be the bench and the defense. They just signed Eddie House for a microwave role off the bench, if he can do that it will help. But he's another guy who doesn't even know the meaning of the word "defense".

Perkins is a really good defender, especially help-wise, like Hammerhead said. His problem is foul trouble. This man can foul out in 10 minutes on a good night. Although a lot of times he was helping on Jefferson's man and getting the foul, so with KG there we'll see what happens. I've heard rumors of trying to acquire Mutombo, but I'm pretty sure that's not happening.

Rondo is the most interesting part of all this. He can slash but his shot is just so terrible. If teams want to double team it will be with his man. I know summer league means jack crap, but in the couple games I watched he would drive to the hoop, and have a shot, then pass it back out to the arc. Not exactly much confidence in his scoring ability. But his defense is above average, and that's key.

It might sound funny but Scal is actually a good defender. He has the size, not so much the quickness but he makes up for it with effort.

So yeah, this team has potential to go far. I can see them winning a lot of games in the 110-120's, because in the regular season, defense takes a backseat anyway. And we all know the Eastern Conference is weak and blah blah blah. You will know by March if this team is built for the playoffs.