Floyd Replaces Contreras in Rotation

Heads22

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AirScott @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 08:43 PM)
"Hey, give the young guys a chance, let's see what they've got."

In all seriousness, that's about how I feel about it. We committed a lot to get this kid, so we might as well see what he is made of. No time like now, when the games really don't matter.

Uh, so how much do we have to see before we've seen what he's made of?

Personally, I give him three more outings like the ones he's had -- excluding the 1-2-3 inning in relief -- before I let Haeger get some work in. His numbers over the last 90-some innings tell me just about everything I need to know, especially in conjunction with his work here so far.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 06:54 PM)
Exactly.

And whether we like it or not, if somehow he could string a few good starts together and Coop could genuinely help him, he would make this team an awful lot better next year (because it would give KW the ability to move a starter and still have a full rotation)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 09:01 PM)
And whether we like it or not, if somehow he could string a few good starts together and Coop could genuinely help him, he would make this team an awful lot better next year (because it would give KW the ability to move a starter and still have a full rotation)

Some guys have the best arms in the world, but take longer to get the mental aspect. Heck, how bad would Kenny Williams be hated if Jon Garland and Javy Vazquez were putting up big numbers after we dumped them at their lowest points of their careers?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 09:01 PM)

Personally, I give him three more outings like the ones he's had -- excluding the 1-2-3 inning in relief -- before I let Haeger get some work in. His numbers over the last 90-some innings tell me just about everything I need to know, especially in conjunction with his work here so far.

You let Gavin start for the next month.

Haeger's sucked pretty badly tonite. He doesn't deserve to be in the rotation.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 08:53 PM)
In all seriousness, that's about how I feel about it. We committed a lot to get this kid, so we might as well see what he is made of. No time like now, when the games really don't matter.

For the record, I agree. I want to see Floyd put together some quality starts...and I assume he'll pitch in Contreras' spot in three days?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 02:01 AM)

What has Haeger done to deserve innings? Floyd's been bad, but Chuck hasn't been a heckuva lot better. And at least one of the two pitchers was able to get AAA hitters out consistently this season...

Haeger will see his innings, especially with Danks on a bit of a slide. On a side note, Danks' ERA is now just .12 points higher better than B-Mac's. Not saying the trade was a bad one, just that it shows you the different directions the two pitchers are heading in.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 09:22 PM)
What has Haeger done to deserve innings? Floyd's been bad, but Chuck hasn't been a heckuva lot better. And at least one of the two pitchers was able to get AAA hitters out consistently this season...

Haeger will see his innings, especially with Danks on a bit of a slide. On a side note, Danks' ERA is now just .12 points higher better than B-Mac's. Not saying the trade was a bad one, just that it shows you the different directions the two pitchers are heading in.

Ya, Floyd needs to get his shot now. Haeger is never going to be anything. Contrary to popular belief, Floyd still has a shot, we need to see what he can do.

Danks has been pretty mad since May it seems.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 09:35 PM)
I wouldn't mind a DL stint for Danks just to give him a rest.

I don't think rest is his problem. He has taken to nibbling at the corners, and working from behind because of it. Any major leaguer will kill a pitch when he knows what is coming.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 09:38 PM)
I don't think rest is his problem. He has taken to nibbling at the corners, and working from behind because of it. Any major leaguer will kill a pitch when he knows what is coming.

Tis part of growing up as a pitcher. He's still only 22 and iirc he basically skipped aaa. Hopefully our fans don't try to run him out the door anytime soon. I'm not enamored by his stuff but he should be a pretty solid pitcher for us for the next 5 years.

EDIT: Looks like I remembered incorrectly.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 09:38 PM)

His catchers haven't been helping him much either.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 09:01 PM)

It's a matter of upside. Haeger's upside is that of a rubber arm'd 5th starter. Floyd has the upside of 2-4.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 09:49 PM)
It's a matter of upside. Haeger's upside is that of a rubber arm'd 5th starter. Floyd has the upside of 2-4.

No, Floyd doesn't have that potential.

I just wonder how many quality starts Floyd will be able to put up. My guess is none.