Official College Football Thread

QUOTE(Brian @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 08:09 AM)
Michigan wins the national title. Close this thread! :\

should be an interesting year for TSUN all that jazz on the offense but lost a lot of key parts from the defense. They have a pretty easy schedule, playing all of the difficult games at home. Really think the defense will find out how good they are when the Ducks come to town - Michigan gets past them it all comes down to Wiscy and OSU in the final two weeks.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 11:06 AM)
On Wisconsin

To bad all of that depends on actually beating Michigan, which never happens for Wisconsin.

They have a very tough game in CBUS the week before.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(SnB @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 12:01 PM)
Illini.Juice.Bowl.

That is all.

Juice to Benn and win the Big Ten, as they say. Anyways, Iowa is in trouble at Soldier Field in the season opener. They were fortunate to hold on and beat NIU last year at the IC, this time we are taking them to get our season off to a good start. We did lose Wolfe and Free, but have basically everybody else back and a really good defense.

Oh, and the scariest part of Pat White and Steve Slaton, besides the obvious of their general awesomeness and being a year older, is WVU added video legend Noel Devine from Fort Myers, Florida in recruiting. Between those 3, West Virginia doesn't even need to throw the ball.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 11:45 AM)
Juice to Benn and win the Big Ten, as they say. Anyways, Iowa is in trouble at Soldier Field in the season opener. They were fortunate to hold on and beat NIU last year at the IC, this time we are taking them to get our season off to a good start. We did lose Wolfe and Free, but have basically everybody else back and a really good defense.

Oh, and the scariest part of Pat White and Steve Slaton, besides the obvious of their general awesomeness and being a year older, is WVU added video legend Noel Devine from Fort Myers, Florida in recruiting. Between those 3, West Virginia doesn't even need to throw the ball.

I think the crowd will be about 75% Iowa fans fwiw.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Aug 13, 2007 -> 01:27 AM)
I think the crowd will be about 75% Iowa fans fwiw.

I doubt it. They'll have about a 60/40 edge though. There were 25 thousand NIU fans my freshman year when we were at Northwestern, had them greatly outnumbered at their own place, but people seem to underestimate the amount of NIU fans there are so to each his own. Although I am sure the Iowa fans will be coming from all over Wrigleyville in their Cub hats, Cub fans and Iowa fans really do go hand in hand often times, and I'll just leave it at they are about similar in intelligence usually.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 11:55 PM)
Sleepers? Iowa will be lucky to find where 4th place in the Big Ten is and I think they will be looking up then. ND is no sleeper. They'll be lucky to be 8-4 and in the top 25 going into Bowl season.

I think that is the point. In a Big 10 where Michigan, PSU, OSU and Wisconsin are all strong, Iowa is lookin to disrupt things. ND is a sleeper because of their ridiculous schedule. 6-2 in their first 8 will leave them in position for another BCS bowl. Nobody is saying it will happen but it could.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 13, 2007 -> 09:49 AM)
I doubt it. They'll have about a 60/40 edge though. There were 25 thousand NIU fans my freshman year when we were at Northwestern, had them greatly outnumbered at their own place, but people seem to underestimate the amount of NIU fans there are so to each his own. Although I am sure the Iowa fans will be coming from all over Wrigleyville in their Cub hats, Cub fans and Iowa fans really do go hand in hand often times, and I'll just leave it at they are about similar in intelligence usually.

Each team was given an allotment of 25K tickets. Iowa's allotment never made it to the general public. They were all pre-sold to season ticket holders, students, alumni associations, and VIPs. The 10+K tickets that were "neutral" sold out in a day. (I couldn't find a neutral ticket about 2 hours after they went on sale) And I got my ticket in the nosebleed endzone NIU section about 3 days after they went on sale to the general public. I'd be willing to wager that about half of NIU's allotment was bought up by Iowa fans, which would put the mix at somewhere around 75-80% Iowa fans.

You're talking about a fan base that reportedly outnumbered both Florida and Texas at recent bowl games in Florida and Texas.

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 13, 2007 -> 07:49 AM)

Are you seriously comparing Northwestern Fans to Iowa football fans....:lol:

I'm not commenting on the fans on this forum, but Iowa's fans will travel and travel strong.

And here's the first AP Poll:

Top 25 AP Poll

1. Southern Cal (62) 11-2 1,622 4

2. LSU (2) 11-2 1,511 3

3. West Virginia (1) 11-2 1,396 10

4. Texas 10-3 1,375 13

5. Michigan 11-2 1,371 8

6. Florida 13-1 1,276 1

7. Wisconsin 12-1 1,192 7

8. Oklahoma 11-3 1,166 11

9. Virginia Tech 10-3 1,148 19

10. Louisville 12-1 1,031 6

11. Ohio St. 12-1 876 2

12. California 10-3 790 14

13. Georgia 9-4 782 23

14. UCLA 7-6 605 _

15. Tennessee 9-4 571 25

16. Rutgers 11-2 560 12

17. Penn St. 9-4 542 _

18. Auburn 11-2 519 9

19. Florida St. 7-6 392 _

20. Nebraska 9-5 377 _

21. Arkansas 10-4 376 15

22. TCU 11-2 283 22

23. Hawaii 11-3 256 _

24. Boise St. 13-0 187 5

25. Texas A&M 9-4 162 _

Others receiving votes: Missouri 128, Georgia Tech 94, Boston College 75, Oregon 73,

South Carolina 69, Miami 68, Alabama 66, Oregon St. 42, Wake Forest 40, South Florida 28,

Arizona St. 17, BYU 14, Southern Miss. 12, Notre Dame 11, Virginia 7, Clemson 6,

Oklahoma St. 3, Texas Tech 2, Houston 1, Kentucky 1, N.C. State 1, Purdue 1.

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll...ORTS&lead=1

Update: UI football players Douglas, Bowman suspended

RANDY PETERSON

REGISTER STAFF WRITER

August 20, 2007

28 Comments

Two Iowa football players, including last season’s top receiver, have been suspended indefinitely from the team after being arrested for unauthorized use of a credit card.

Dominique Douglas, who led the Hawkeyes last season in receiving yards and receptions, was arrested Sunday morning for making purchases of $2,016.76 from cards belonging to two separate victims, according to Johnson County District Court documents.

Also charged with the same offense and suspended was Anthony Bowman, a reserve receiver who played last season on Iowa’s special teams.

Both are sophomores from Detroit, Mich.

Thee charge is a Class D felony, punishable by five years in jail and a fine up to $7,500. Both players were released on their own recognizance.

“I am aware of the accusations that have been made against two members of the football program,” coach Kirk Ferentz said in a statement. “Both student-athletes have been suspended indefinitely from participation in all team activities.

“The accusations are serious and, if proven to be true, are extremely disappointing for everyone associated with the University of Iowa and our football program. As always, we will work with the appropriate individuals and entities on and off campus as this matter works its way through the legal system.

“As is often the case in matters of this nature, I am aware of inconsistencies in what may or may not have taken place. We need to let the legal process run its course.”

Douglas was listed as a starter on the recent depth chart, and he played in Saturday’s public scrimmage. The sophomore caught 49 passes last season for 654 yards and two touchdowns.

He led the nation’s freshman receivers in receptions, and ranked second in receiving yards.

Bowman, a sophomore, played on special teams last season.

Douglas was one of the best freshman in the land last year, and Iowa's clear cut #1 WR, so that's a huge kick in the balls. And it's sad that Iowa, former home to Steve Alford and in football, the godfathers of the section 8 housing scandal who stood behind the millionaire coaches son living in housing built for the poor, has to be the ones that lay down the law, yet Bruce Weber fights for a CONVICTED felon to be on the Illini (although, to be fair, this is football and Zook DID lay down the law). And as you see the players hometowns, you remember that Detroit sucks.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Aug 18, 2007 -> 05:35 PM)

Normally I like to take every opportunity to slam a Notre Dame player and/or the team, but that's just lame. An un-marked car sitting there to catch people for under-age drinking? How much more anal can you get? If they did that at every school you'd run out of guys to catch somewhat quickly. It's called being in college people...

It's also interesting that with all that trouble that they went through that they didn't charge the other freshman.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Those silly little boys from the IC at it again!!

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs...0039/1003/RSS02

Arrest warrant issued for backup Iowa quarterback

RANDY PETERSON

REGISTER STAFF WRITER

August 20, 2007

5 Comments

Iowa City police have issued an arrest warrant for backup quarterback Arvell Nelson for failure to appear in court, according to online records.

Nelson was charged on July 2 with driving while his license was suspended in downtown Iowa City.

He also was fined $390 for failure to have insurance and ordered to appear in court on July 31.

Nelson played in Saturday’s scrimmage at Kinnick Stadium. The redshirt freshman is listed as the Hawkeyes’ No. 2 quarterback.

Three guys in 1 day, that's impressive for DA U, let alone Iowa. But hey, Ferentz is a great coach with total control of his program. He's nothing like the other big time guys in college football that let the inmates run the asylum.

Edited by whitesoxfan101