Bobby Jenks...

PWSox87

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 05:43 PM)
this is an incredible record and im not taking anything at all away from bobby here

but do you guys buy what hawk ozzie and coop said, that its harder to do as a reliever?i think it is harder to do as a starter.....you have guys that will see you 3 times in the same game and your arm is more fatigued after 100 or so pitches....on the other hand its difficult to get in a groove as a reliever and you sometimes have to come in when you aren't 100% warmed up, and it can be tough to have control after just a short time in the pen....also you are facing the pressures of the late inning situation, however, as a starter you are potentially and probably facing the pressures of throwing a perfect game...

its debatable and remarkable either way so it may be a moot point, but what do you guys think?

There is no way to even compare it. There has never even been a reliever even close to the record. David Wells did it as a starter in 1998 and retired 38 straight; Barr had 41 straight as a starter in 1972. So 9 years and 35 years respectively, and Jenks now owns the most consecutive batters retired by a reliever.

Also, Bobby will have the longest number of days (27) for an in-season hidden perfect game if he can get one more out on Tuesday (he is currently tied with Jeff Montgomery who retired 32 straight batter over a 27 day period).

Edited by RME JICO

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AirScott @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 09:05 PM)
Awesome. You said almost exactly what I did.

Sorry, didn't mean to step on your feet... I hadn't reloaded the page before I posted.

I guess great minds think alike?

Edited by Linnwood

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 05:53 PM)
This streak has to be one of the hardest to achieve. After all these years of baseball, and the record is only 41. Then to do it in today's day and age makes it even more amazing.

Bobby has had to be perfect every batter for 41 straight (no hits, no walks, no HBP, no balks, no passed balls, no reached on error, no sacrifices, etc). That is actually unbelievable when you think about it.

I wonder how many pitches Bobby has thrown during this streak, and whether that could be another record of sorts (ie. 200 pitches without a baserunner).

Great post. This streak is just incredible, and its too bad that Bobby isn't getting slobbered over because of it. Congrats big man!

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 13, 2007 -> 01:49 AM)
The guy is becoming a pitcher in the closers role. And that makes him pretty damn dangerous for the opposition. Congrats to the Big Guy on this great accomplishment.

That's the key, and you've been saying it for a better portion of the season -- we're seeing a real transformation in Jenks becoming a *pitcher* this season. Even in 2005, Jenks was more of a thrower. He had a regular routine, regardless of the hitter, in 2005 -- get two strikes with his fastball (which was then sitting at 99-101) and drop the curve for strike three. This year, he's added a nice cut to his fastball, and when he wants to throw his heater, he can still dial it up to 95-96.

He's been a real bright spot in a dull season.

Breaking 50 would be freakin awesome. Just smash the record to pieces.

A lot of talk radio has been asking how something like this could fly under the radar so much. They figured that it had to do with all the other recent records that were achieved/broken - and that it may have watered down the rest in terms of excitement.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Aug 13, 2007 -> 05:51 PM)
Breaking 50 would be freakin awesome. Just smash the record to pieces.

A lot of talk radio has been asking how something like this could fly under the radar so much. They figured that it had to do with all the other recent records that were achieved/broken - and that it may have watered down the rest in terms of excitement.

This is completely different though. Those were career records that were just a matter of time before they were reached. You could see it coming. This is a streak record that came out of nowhere. Every pitcher in baseball is in the running for this record....all the time.

QUOTE(chuckywang @ Aug 14, 2007 -> 02:31 AM)
This is completely different though. Those were career records that were just a matter of time before they were reached. You could see it coming. This is a streak record that came out of nowhere. Every pitcher in baseball is in the running for this record....all the time.

Ya, it still doesn't change the fact that it has happened after tons of milestones have been eclipsed. Bonds, Glavine, ARod, plus Biggio, Thomas, Hoffman, and Sosa.

Bad timing really.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Aug 19, 2007 -> 12:00 PM)
Or maybe if Ozzie wants to get Bobby some work if the M's blow the Sox out today.

But if they blow them out, then the M's are hitting. I'm thinking Ozzie puts Jenks in against a hitter he knows he can get out. If the Sox are down a bunch of runs, you don't dare put him in against Ichiro. Though I doubt Ichiro would still be in the game.