Selig will not discipline Giambi

Balta1701

Once again, Bud Selig proves he really isn't all that peeved about the pervasiveness of steroid abuse in his game.

Jason Giambi escaped punishment from commissioner Bud Selig on Thursday because of the Yankee slugger's charitable work and cooperation with baseball's steroids investigator.

Selig, speaking on the second and final day of an owners meeting, called this an "appropriate decision."

Giambi has acknowledged a "personal history regarding steroids." He agreed to speak with former Sen. George Mitchell last month after Selig threatened to discipline him if he refused to cooperate.

"He's doing a lot of public-service work, and I think that's terribly important," Selig said. "I think it's more important for us to keep getting the message out. He was, I thought, very frank and candid with Sen. Mitchell, at least that was the senator's conclusion. Given everything, this is an appropriate decision."

Selig said June 21, before Giambi met Mitchell, that he would take "Giambi's level of cooperation into account in determining appropriate further action."

After the meeting, in a letter to Giambi, Selig wrote: "In the days since your interview, your representatives have discussed with my office your commitment to off-field charitable activities. For example, your agent has informed my office that you intend to donate $50,000 to the Partnership of a Drug Free America. You have also committed to make an additional donation of $50,000 in cash or equipment to the Harlem RBI."

The commissioner said Mitchell was not expected to speak with any other active players.

"This was a special circumstance," Selig said. "I have no other plans."

No date has been announced for the release of Mitchell's report.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 16, 2007 -> 01:32 PM)
Once again, Bud Selig proves he really isn't all that peeved about the pervasiveness of steroid abuse in his game.

When everyone was calling him an idiot during the All-Star Game tie and the potential work stoppage, I didn't think he was an idiot. But the way he's handled the entire steroids mess has been kind of confusing. First off, it took him too long to decide if he'd be following along during Bonds' chase, which made it more of a story than it had to be because when he said he'd be there, people stopped asking him about it. It's not like it's a big deal, anyway. So then when Bonds hits 755, he puts his hands in his pockets and stands motionless. It's like he believes Bonds is more at fault for the Steroids Era than he is. Well, Bonds is just one person...with a lot of home runs and an unnatural growth spurt, but just one of many with the latter quality.