Tim Raines

WhiteSoxfan1986

It's Rock's first year up for election in 2008, and I think he should get in, although he probably won't.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/raineti01.shtml

84% SB success rate (better than Brock and Henderson)

.294 avg, .385 obp

4 stolen base crowns, 1 batting title, 1 obp title

4th all-time in stolen bases

.400+ obp 4 times

good defensive outfielder

Next to Henderson he was the best leadoff man of his era. Yes he doesn't have 3,000 hits (ala Lou Brock), but Rock's career obp is about 40 points higher than Brock's.

I think Rock may well be one of those guys who puts up low numbers his first year, but then as time goes on winds up with more and more people lobbying for him and telling other sportswriters to look at his numbers, like we saw with Sutter a year ago or so & like we've seen with some other guys. There are already a lot of the stathead people out there who see this guy's numbers and say "Yeah, that's HOF worthy" and over time I think they'll add up.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 16, 2007 -> 09:59 PM)
I think Rock may well be one of those guys who puts up low numbers his first year, but then as time goes on winds up with more and more people lobbying for him and telling other sportswriters to look at his numbers, like we saw with Sutter a year ago or so & like we've seen with some other guys. There are already a lot of the stathead people out there who see this guy's numbers and say "Yeah, that's HOF worthy" and over time I think they'll add up.

This year would be a good year for him(no slam dunk HOFer) but it's his first year on the ballot. It would be cool to see him go in with Henderson next year.

Yeah, Andre Dawson won 8 consecutive gold gloves, had 440 HR, damn near 2800 hits, over 300 SB, and he made the all star team 8 times. I know that he never learned to draw a walk, hence the .323 lifetime OBP, but overall, he was still one of the best players in baseball throughout the 80s.

He can't get into the HOF, though, and I doubt that Rock will.

Edited by hammerhead johnson

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Aug 17, 2007 -> 01:33 PM)
Yeah, Andre Dawson won 8 consecutive gold gloves, had 440 HR, damn near 2800 hits, over 300 SB, and he made the all star team 8 times. I know that he never learned to draw a walk, hence the .323 lifetime OBP, but overall, he was still one of the best players in baseball throughout the 80s.

He can't get into the HOF, though, and I doubt that Rock will.

This might be his year with the weak class. And comparing the overall numbers, he looks like more of a HOFer than Mark McGwire.