Random Sox thoughts

gosox41

1. Is KW auditioning to be the pitching and hitting coach. If every hitter on this team had Thome's OBP and Slugging Percentage we'd be in good shape. But the reason other hitters can't do what Thome can is lack of talent and discipline. In theory, it works great for hitters to see more pitches and work counts. But it doesn't work for everyone for various reasons.

And what's up with his ability to fix Contreras? If you see the flaw tell him. If you want to be the pitching coach, may you can get more out of the bull pen then their 2007 pathetic showing. I doubt it.

2. It's not the worst thing in the world that the Sox are losing right now. This team has glaring holes that need to be shown so KW can address them next year. Since the core is coming back, he can now address the glaring holes that we all know exist and that a hot start after the All Star break won't make go away.

3. Now that the Sox will have a high draft pick next year, maybe we can stop hearing about how the Sox farm system is bad due to a lack of top 10 picks.

4. IMHO, Crede should be back at 3B next year. Fields will be in LF. If the Sox get a good hitting SS/CF you now have a line up that can do damage. Fields has some speed as does Richar to steal bases. If we do get a SS, Owens has speed and will be the lead off hitter. And hopefully whatever hole we fill, he has the ability to steal bases.

5. I was going to list all the players on the Sox who can't maintain the league average .335 OBP but found it is much shorter to list the one's who can in 2007:

Thome

Konerko

Iguchi and Mackowaik are gone. No doubt Dye would be in there if he didn't have the lousy first half. Iguchi and Mackwiak were on the list and are no longer on the team. Go figure.

6. I like Richar a lot and think he will be a good player. KW made a good pick up here. Once he hits better (which will come with experience) he will steal more bases and have an aboveaverage OBP. He shows good plate discipline and strike zone judgement. Right now with a .170 AVG, he has a .306 OBP

7. Have Sox fans gotten dumber. I can't belive all the Rowand love. One moron called the Score yesterday sayng Rowand was the sole reason the Sox didn't make the playoffs in 2006 and flopped this year. Rowand is better then Borchard. But he's no Willie Mays.

8. In 2006 Sox management said tired arms weren't the reason why the starters sucked. In 2007, the'yve credited the bounce back to being fresher. Which is it?

9. I haven't seen it mentioned too much, but the Sox have done something most fans said they couldn't or wouldn't do. They re-signed 2 of their free agents. And they were the 2 expensive one's. Right or wrong move, give them credit for that. Hopefully fans are paying attention to that detail

Bob

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Aug 19, 2007 -> 11:16 PM)
One thing: I hate to say it as someone who's been a big supporter of his for a long time, but I'm at the point where I'm just sick and tired of seeing Juan Uribe.

With the Dye signing, you won't have to see uribe around much longer. No way is Uribe worth $5 mill. His option will be declined.

I hate to say it but I think that's right. We are going to have a crap 2008 if we build on the core, because the core is obviously rotten somewhere.

I wish I had an answer but where do you even start here?

Ozzie: could be--could be that the "novelty" of him in 2004 and 2005 wore off on the players and he can't control the club. Kinda like how they say you can't be a parent and your kid's friend at the same time

Konerko: bad first half but of course he's a keeper (where is that "leadership" though?)

Uribe: pfft. All the talent in the world but he just seems like a lazy ass now

Pods: why we kept this guy in '07 is beyond me

Erstad: destined to set a DL record

Fields: hell put him in left I'll take him over Pods (potential trouble: the HRs are fun to watch but do we need ANOTHER power hitter with low percentage?)

Richar: great glove... how long do we wait for him to learn how to hit? (see: Brian AAAnderson)

Then comes the pitching:

Buehrle: Fine

Garland: WTF? Is it 2004 now? At first I thought don't trade away your starter horses but he just seems out of it these days

Vasquez: Fine

Contreras: what do you even say with this guy? Mr. Lights out up until last July and now it's like he's never played the game. Can't unload him... how long do you wait for him to figure it out? I thought Ozzie/KW said the Sox are not the place where players come to figure stuff out?

Danks: is he? Isn't he?

My head just spins at all the question marks. I don't even know where to begin. But I agree that what this team needs now is some major event/change, and not "If it's clearly broke, don't fix it."

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 19, 2007 -> 07:36 PM)
With the Dye signing, you won't have to see uribe around much longer. No way is Uribe worth $5 mill. His option will be declined.

Problem is there isn't much out there in the fa market and we certainly have nothing in our farm system to replace him. Kenny is going to have to get creative there, hopefully in a trade of Garland.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 09:55 AM)
Richar: great glove... how long do we wait for him to learn how to hit? (see: Brian AAAnderson)

My head just spins at all the question marks. I don't even know where to begin. But I agree that what this team needs now is some major event/change, and not "If it's clearly broke, don't fix it."

Richar and Anderson are not comparables. Richar see's a lot of pitches, can take a walk and makes contact with the ball. His OBP is over .300 with his batting average so low. His glove is damn slick. He just needs more ABs and more experience. He will hit fine. Anderson was striking out so much and looked tenative on his swing, jumping on the first pitch that looked straight just so he could avoid the strikeout. Richar is getting into deep counts all of the time. Hitters that do that, see better pitches and will make an impact. He will be fine. More time, thats all he needs. I would like to see him moved into the number 2 spot and move Fields down the order. Richar looks to project as a number 2 hitter type. He has speed, makes contact.

The one thing I would like to see the sox do is to teach him how to drag bunt, or have him drag bunt here and there. Watching Ichiro drag bunt with a man on was a thing of beauty. Our hitters bunt directly at the pitcher. If you can push it past the pitcher and bring the first baseman off of the bag, you may have something.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 01:00 PM)
Coming into yesterday's game, Fields had an OBP this season .001 higher than Uribe's lifetime OBP yet Fields is a star and Uribe is garbage.

I think this is based on the thought/hope that Fields will develop and show more, and that Uribe has shown everything he has and can only decline.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 01:07 PM)
Ah yes, comparing 265 AB's to just under 3000(2974)......

From the start of 2006, Uribe is batting .230 with a .267 OBP, a .671 OPS, has not played "Uribe" type defense, and is set to make 5 million next season. I know you have some sort of hard on for Uribe, along with some sort of grudge to Fields, but it's easy to see where the "garbage" references come from with Uribe.

Maybe he will get better, but paycheck aside, if Uribe's performance is "garbage", the same can be said about Fields. I don't think either have been garbage, but I do think while he's not the greatest, Uribe is way undervalued around here, and Fields at this point is overrated because he's hit some homers. I would have no problem with Uribe being replaced if it were someone who actually was better. Greene is not better. Furcal may be, but is he $8 million better? Tejada is better, but Eckstein?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 01:51 PM)
Maybe he will get better, but paycheck aside, if Uribe's performance is "garbage", the same can be said about Fields. I don't think either have been garbage, but I do think while he's not the greatest, Uribe is way undervalued around here, and Fields at this point is overrated because he's hit some homers. I would have no problem with Uribe being replaced if it were someone who actually was better. Greene is not better. Furcal may be, but is he $8 million better? Tejada is better, but Eckstein?

Fields is putting up a .755 ops as a rookie, that's pretty damn impressive. And yes, those 14 homers in 245 ab's is pretty freakin good as well. Uribe on the other hand has an ops about 100 points lower than Fields and while Fields should and will definitely improve, Uribe seems to be declining. Those two really don't compare offensively.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 01:59 PM)
Fields is putting up a .755 ops as a rookie, that's pretty damn impressive. And yes, those 14 homers in 245 ab's is pretty freakin good as well. Uribe on the other hand has an ops about 100 points lower than Fields and while Fields should and will definitely improve, Uribe seems to be declining. Those two really don't compare offensively.

Uribe is a SS. His replacement's OPS probably won't be that high either. While one would think Fields would improve there is no guarantee. I'm not arguing Fields vs. Uribe per se, I just have a hard time figuring out why one is a lock to be a star while the other one is garbage. Look at Uribe's first 275 abs

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 12:04 PM)
Uribe is a SS. His replacement's OPS probably won't be that high either. While one would think Fields would improve there is no guarantee. I'm not arguing Fields vs. Uribe per se, I just have a hard time figuring out why one is a lock to be a star while the other one is garbage. Look at Uribe's first 275 abs

There are 26 SS's in baseball with a qualifying number of at bats. Juan Uribe is 24th out of those 26 in OPS. Tony Pena Jr. and Omar Vizquel are the only 2 worse than him in all of baseball with the bat.

There are 37 3rd basemen in baseball who have had over 250 plate appearances at that position. Josh Fields' OPS is 21nd out of those. At the worst, therefore, Josh has put up average offensive #'s for a 3rd baseman this season, in his first 1/2 season in the bigs.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 02:12 PM)
There are 26 SS's in baseball with a qualifying number of at bats. Juan Uribe is 24th out of those 26 in OPS. Tony Pena Jr. and Omar Vizquel are the only 2 worse than him in all of baseball with the bat.

There are 37 3rd basemen in baseball who have had over 250 plate appearances at that position. Josh Fields' OPS is 21nd out of those. At the worst, therefore, Josh has put up average offensive #'s for a 3rd baseman this season, in his first 1/2 season in the bigs.

So Uribe is the 24th SS and he's garbage while Fields is the 21st 3rd baseman and he's a star that Crede be non-tendered to make room for. Disregard defense and its still not that clear of an argument.

Edited by Dick Allen

Isn't this argument sort of a false choice?

Either Uribe sucks ass, or no: it's Fields!

How about: Uribe is at the very best underachieving and at the worst lazy and mentally distracted?

Or: Fields has a lot of potential and can swing the big stick but he's also a ROOKIE?

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 03:36 PM)
Isn't this argument sort of a false choice?

Either Uribe sucks ass, or no: it's Fields!

How about: Uribe is at the very best underachieving and at the worst lazy and mentally distracted?

Or: Fields has a lot of potential and can swing the big stick but he's also a ROOKIE?

I wouldn't say that. I just think if you think Uribe is garbage, I think Fields needs to show you a little more to be categorized as a future star.

I don't think you fully grasp the concept of 'potential.' There is really nothing to compare here. Yes, josh's numbers as a rookie are similar but a bit better than juan's career numbers. We all know that. Is there something else you are getting at? What is your motive for comparing the two?

Edited by max power

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 03:48 PM)
I wouldn't say that. I just think if you think Uribe is garbage, I think Fields needs to show you a little more to be categorized as a future star.

Who has called him a future star? If anything, you're cherry picking stats here comparing Uribe's career to Fields'. Uribe's OBP over the last 3 years has been roughly .280, and his OPS around .680. How does that compare to Fields this year?

Back to Fields, I'm excited as hell about him because it appears as though he has potential. He's still striking out waaay too much, but that should be a correctable problem. He also has a ton of power, and that's shown with his 14 homers in 260 PA's and IsoSLG of 212 (for comparison's sake, Paul Konerko's is 227). Basically, that says if he hits .270, he's putting up an OPS of around .810-.830, and as he gets a feel for MLB pitching, his power numbers could go up even more. As mentioned before, the only real concern for Josh are his K numbers, but if he can keep from striking out like 150-160 times, he should be a really good player, and perhaps a star.

Uribe's been mediocre or worse for 3 straight years. I love the defense, but he's best served as a super utility player, and it doesn't make sense to bring him back. Add to the fact that Fields' OPS is over 100 points higher than Uribe's, and you are arguing a losing argument. Uribe's called garbage because he has comparable numbers to Erstad and Podsednik, who are absolutely terrible.

Now, if you were saying look at Jerry Owens' numbers compared to Uribe's, I'd listen, because Owens looks like a s***ty singles hitter, and singles that don't hit .310-.330 suck to begin with. You bring up Fields, and I'll call your argument ridiculous.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 10:08 AM)
Richar see's a lot of pitches, can take a walk and makes contact with the ball. His OBP is over .300 with his batting average so low. His glove is damn slick. He just needs more ABs and more experience. He will hit fine. ...

I would like to see him moved into the number 2 spot and move Fields down the order. Richar looks to project as a number 2 hitter type. He has speed, makes contact.

If he keeps walking at this rate, he should hit leadoff. Clearly, he'll hit better than .200 with more at bats.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 10:19 AM)
This isn't, generally, an organization that values drag bunts. This is an organization that is teaching you POWER at every level. Don't get your hopes up.

It's an organization that has some power hitters, especially at the major league level, but I think you're wrong to infer from that that the organization emphasizes power. It's awfully hard to explain their fondness of Owens and Sweeney, repeated willingness to play a guy with a career slugging percentage under .400 in a corner outfield spot, and decision to trade away the best power hitting CF prospect in the majors for pitching if they're completely power crazed.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 01:51 PM)

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 02:04 PM)

Fields is posting a (below average) .299 OBP as a rookie; Uribe has topped that mark in only 3 of his 7 seasons. He's far below that mark this season at .277 and was much farther below that mark last season at .257. Discussing the early highs in Uribe's career makes for interesting discussion (Coors played a pretty big factor) but regardless, it's starting to look unlikely that he'll ever approach a .300 OBP ever again and his inability to get on base the last couple seasons really kills a team's offense. Your point about the quality of offense at 3B v. SS is well taken but at the same time, Fields VORP is 3.0 while Uribe's is -9.9.

Your average rookie in his mid or lower twenties will make substantial strides forward. I don't see enough similarities between Uribe and Fields to suggest that Uribe's inability to show consistent improvement throughout his career means that Josh will suffer the same fate. I think Josh has a solid shot to hit .260 next season and get on base at a .320 clip. Sophomore slumps happen so it's certainly possible that he'll stagnate or regress but I don't see any strong reasons to believe that will be the case.