So You're the New Sox Hitting Coach

LVSoxFan

We all have talked about firing Walker for almost all season.

I was curious: so you get his job. What do you fix in our hitters? What are they not doing that they should be doing? I'm talking more about the regulars and not the new guys because we don't even know if the new guys can even hit, period.

But we all know hitting's a problem and that's been covered at length.

There's a lot of smart baseball people here; pretend you're a scout and have watched the Sox all season--what's your report?

(Only because I don't know a ton about baseball but have learned a ton here).

They were interviewing Walker during the game yesterday and he talked about how the approach was to take Wakefield the other way, so everyone who says he preaches swinging hard and trying to pull the ball into the seats is just wrong. The only way to fix this offense is to sprinkle a few new hitters into it. Today, 5 batters in a row, Uribe, Richar, Gonzalez, Owens, Fields. That's just brutal. The highest batting average among the 5 is .242. You get through Thome, Konerko, AJ, and Dye, you have almost a 2 inning breather.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 06:29 PM)
Today, 5 batters in a row, Uribe, Richar, Gonzalez, Owens, Fields. That's just brutal. The highest batting average among the 5 is .242. You get through Thome, Konerko, AJ, and Dye, you have almost a 2 inning breather.

That's exactly what I first noticed when I saw the lineup. That's not good, that's AAA.

Preach patience at the plate. The Sox are last in the league in OBP. Guys are just too anxious to try and get a hit and wont talk a BB.

Perfect example was the other day vs Wakefield. The guy was effectively wild with Sox hitters chasing his pitches all over the zone.

I would focus with the batters to go with the pitch. Just because a ball is outside doesn't mean you have to pull it. If the ball is away, hit it oppo. If it is down the middle, hit it to center or the gaps. If the ball is inside, pull it. I wouldn't want hitters to focus on always going the other way or pulling the ball, but rather hit the ball where it is pitched.

I would also focus on shorter quicker swings and swinging for line drives instead of the fences.

And most importantly I'd focus on patience and plate discipline. We can't have batters swinging at ball 4 and/or looking at strike 3 down the middle. We need the batters to be able to work the pitch count and have a good idea of the strike zone.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 07:50 PM)
I would focus with the batters to go with the pitch. Just because a ball is outside doesn't mean you have to pull it. If the ball is away, hit it oppo. If it is down the middle, hit it to center or the gaps. If the ball is inside, pull it. I wouldn't want hitters to focus on always going the other way or pulling the ball, but rather hit the ball where it is pitched.

I would also focus on shorter quicker swings and swinging for line drives instead of the fences.

And most importantly I'd focus on patience and plate discipline. We can't have batters swinging at ball 4 and/or looking at strike 3 down the middle. We need the batters to be able to work the pitch count and have a good idea of the strike zone.

This would pretty much be my approach. Study the pitcher more, go with the pitch, stop swinging for the fences whether it's opposite field, CF or pulling the ball. Shorten the swing up big time. Take pitches for once. Teach hitters how to hit anything other than a fastball.

I'm not sure a new hitting coach would help this anemic offense. We're now hitting .244 which is the lowest in the entire major leagues. It's quite the accomplishment to be hitting lower than every National League team since they all carry an automatic out at the bottom of their order.

Thank goodness Tampa Bay has one of the worst pitching staffs in modern history with their 5.75 ERA or whatever they have, preventing us from finishing last in both statistical categories.

The problem with focusing on 'plate discipline' and worknig the count is waaaaaay too many times you see our batters take a bp fastball right down the middle for strike one, then look like a granny swinging at a splitter in the dirt for strike 2. Konerko and Pods just stand there staring at perfect pitches to hit all the time, and then whiff on the next offering, which is never as good to hit. How about teaching them that if the first pitch is a down the middle strike, and in your zone, hit it.

I tell you what I would do. I'd make them watch that Series on ESPN "Bronx is Burning" or whatever it's called.

I noticed in the highlights of the 1977 Series and playoff Series against the Royals, the Yankees were bashing the baseball WHERE IT WAS PITCHED.

What a novel concept.

Lefties spraying the ball where it is pitched.

Other Yankee righties bashing line drive singles up the midde and to right field.

In this awful season, all the Sox do with men on base is pop up.

No moving of runners, no hitting it where it's pitched.

At least the games I've seen on TV that has been a common thread.

that's what is so infuriating.....

The 05 team was absolutely amazing at opposite field hitting (mostly Gooch and PK, who couldn't do it to save their lives this year), and working pitchers into deep counts.

How in the world with the same players and coaching staff could they become the worst in the game?

I was thinking about that yesterday. After Edwin Jackson (and his 6 era) had limited the team to paltry 3 hits through 6, or whatever it was, i was screaming at the computer that they should just all friggin' bunt. Every last one of them. Take the humiliation to an all new low and have a practice session during a game. I can dream.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 01:01 AM)
I resign in protest of the players given me.

LOL! My co-workers are looking at me funny when i burst out laughing on that one!

Before a series starts, I would go over the scouting reports of the opposing staff and before batting practice, get my hitters together and let them know what to expect in the series. From those reports, I'd stress to my guys to be either aggressive or passive in the count and especially focus on what kind of junk they throw. If it's a soft-tosser that throws junk on the outside corner, I'd tell my batting practice coach to throw slow stuff outside so they can shoot it the other away. If it's a nasty curveballer or a Santana type guy with a wicked changeup/slider, I'd tell my guys to look for heat early in the count.

I dunno if Walker does that already but if he is, they must be tuning him out or something this yr because I'm tired of seeing our guys go up there with little to no gameplan on that night's pitcher, except for Thome and Paulie.

Edited by Allsox

I'd tell the players that whoever hits the ball up the middle or to the opposite field the most gets to sleep with Scott Podsednik's wife. If that didn't work I'd hit golfballs at them while they were taking batting practice. BTW, this does not apply to JD, Thome, PK, or Fields. They can pull the ball as much as they'd like to.