Is this the worst year in your Soxfandom?

Hideaway Lights

Is this the worst year in your Soxfandom?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Is this the worst year in your Soxfandom?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WITHOUT A DOUBT. Check out my record below.

Opening Day blowout, being at five of the six Cubs games and being 1-4, being at a -20 wind chill game Saturday of opening week (at least we won that one), going to my first doubleheader since the 80s and getting shelled both games by the Twins. Never having a win streak more than four games.

This season to me has been like the third Matrix movie, where everything that sucked about the second one was expanded and even more featured in the third.

The misery of 2nd half '06... it's like they took that and said "Here, have a whole SEASON of it!" I can't wait until it's over and that I've NEVER felt.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 11:45 AM)
I don't even really watch the games any more. I have the TV on, sometimes, to see the score, and that's about it. If I'm not getting frustrated, I'm bored off my butt.

I'll watch when I can but I certainly don't make a point to watch the games right now. Nothing worse to watch than a ton of untalented rooks and veterans who couldn't care less about playing right now.

Edited by Rowand44

This team was not a playoff contendor and I'd rather have a high draft pick then pretend they are good. I believe the silver lining is that this season was a wake up call to the organization. They will have a top tier payroll next season and will address the problems. The late 80's teams really sucked and turned it around very quickly.

This season sucks but it happens. The 2003 team was in my mind the best in baseball and they fell short. That would still haunt me if not for 2005.

We are bad this year, now let's move on hope we get a kick ass prospect and change some things.

This is season is no worse I'd say then the perennial 2nd place teams of the late 90's.

I was honestly more annoyed in 2003 when we had what looked to be a division-championship caliber team that just didn't quite seem to hit their stride and ended up getting smacked by the Twins late in the year to finally end it. It was also obviously made a lot worse by the Cubs. 1995 was pretty bad too, coming off the playoff berth in 93 and what would have been a playoff berth in 94 they posted a .472 WPT and finished 32 games behind the division winner.

I don't know, yeah, this year is depressing, but all but the most optomistic realized that this was likely a 3rd place team at best unless an awful lot of things went our way. I'm frustrated, but I'm not totally pissed off.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 10:05 AM)
I was honestly more annoyed in 2003 when we had what looked to be a division-championship caliber team that just didn't quite seem to hit their stride and ended up getting smacked by the Twins late in the year to finally end it. It was also obviously made a lot worse by the Cubs. 1995 was pretty bad too, coming off the playoff berth in 93 and what would have been a playoff berth in 94 they posted a .472 WPT and finished 32 games behind the division winner.

I don't know, yeah, this year is depressing, but all but the most optomistic realized that this was likely a 3rd place team at best unless an awful lot of things went our way. I'm frustrated, but I'm not totally pissed off.

Yeah, I think that some of those 00-04 teams really pissed me off...because a lot of them should have been a lot better than what we actually saw. I mean, I'm still bitter about that Loaiza ill vs. the Twins game in late 03 where Esteban really shouldn't have started at all...and the game Cotts pitched in Yankee stadium, etc.

Would you rather have a team that is just abjectly terrible from the start of the season or would you rather a team tease you but fall flat in the end?

I suffered through 1970, when they lost 106 games, and drew 495,000 or so fans for the entire year. That was awful, but they hired Chuck Tanner, and I was young and optimistic. As bad as that was, this is worse. Since the second half of 06 this team has gone from bad to terrible. I'm not going to bore anyone again with the W-L records I've been posting, but will say that I disagree that this team has any degree of talent. Right now, there are only 4 or 5 on the roster I want any part of. The cupboard is bare down on the farm. If Kenny can fix this, he's a demigod among GMs.

Edited by Yossarian

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 10:09 AM)
Yeah, I think that some of those 00-04 teams really pissed me off...because a lot of them should have been a lot better than what we actually saw. I mean, I'm still bitter about that Loaiza ill vs. the Twins game in late 03 where Esteban really shouldn't have started at all...and the game Cotts pitched in Yankee stadium, etc.

Agree with you totally on these years. We had talent to get the job done, but underachieved. And, we hadn't won a championship yet, so the clock was ticking.

Also, 1984. We should have come back strong after winning the division the previous year, but that team collapsed.

No, not even close. Try watching those late 80s teams, they defined BAD. Least this yr's had some expectations and some highlights.

For me though, the 2003 team stands out as the worst yr. That was a very good team that stunningly fell flat on their face the last month of the season.

This thread just reminds me how many ways the Sox have tried to kill me over the years.

Which may also explain why I'm clutching onto 2005 as tightly as I am.

When I think back to all the times the Sox built up my hopes, only to flame out in the 2nd half or lose in the playoffs, that Series win just feels more and more special.

Right or wrong, I may never let go of 2005. But I do agree that Sox management needs to, if they ever plan on getting there again.