Six Farmhands Headed to AFL

Calderon

According to MiLB.com, six White Sox minor leaguers are confirmed to head to the Arizona Fall League this October, with another spot TBA.

Dewon Day, Jack Egbert, Fernando Hernandez, Adam Russell, Donny Lucy, and Chris Getz are all listed on the roster for the Phoenix DesertDogs, the two-time defending AFL champions, who will be managed by Rafael Santana.

There is an outfield spot listed as TBA for the White Sox. Who could it be? Sweeney? Collaro?

Former White Sox farmhand Jay Marshall is on the roster as well.

Edited by Calderon

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 02:33 PM)
please please please let Eggy develop into an ML-er for next season.

I don't know about that. He hasn't seen AAA yet, and he struggled a bit this month after Lucy left town. I think he needs the fall league and a year at AAA.

Heads might disagree though.

QUOTE(Calderon @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 01:08 PM)
According to MiLB.com, six White Sox minor leaguers are confirmed to head to the Arizona Fall League this October, with another spot TBA.

Dewon Day, Jack Egbert, Fernando Hernandez, Adam Russell, Donny Lucy, and Chris Getz are all listed on the roster for the Phoenix DesertDogs, the two-time defending AFL champions, who will be managed by Rafael Santana.

There is an outfield spot listed as TBA for the White Sox. Who could it be? Sweeney? Collaro?

Former White Sox farmhand Jay Marshall is on the roster as well.

Getz needs the playing time. He missed over 60 games with an injury this season.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 06:37 PM)
That's kind of the idea. Players with talent and a possible future in the majors but who need some specific work... play in the fall league.

Dude, when will you learn, if a rookie comes up and doesn't immediately throw a perfect game or hit 4 homers in a game...he's garbage and should be tossed aside. No one ever develops more.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 05:39 PM)
Doesn't Egbert kinda have to be placed on the 40 man? Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this his 4th season now in minor league ball?

After this season, yes. He'll be exposed to the Rule 5 in December if not on the 40-man roster.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 04:39 PM)
Doesn't Egbert kinda have to be placed on the 40 man? Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this his 4th season now in minor league ball?

Yeah and he will be or at least I sure as heck hope he will be. The Sox have been protecting numerous garbage guys on the 40 man for the past couple years and Egbert actually has some potential, although I would really like to see him get things figured back out and have a good start before things end for him (although I don't know if he has one more scheduled start).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 11:48 AM)
Yeah and he will be or at least I sure as heck hope he will be. The Sox have been protecting numerous garbage guys on the 40 man for the past couple years and Egbert actually has some potential, although I would really like to see him get things figured back out and have a good start before things end for him (although I don't know if he has one more scheduled start).

If they do not protect Egbert, I quit. He's struggled adjusting to not throwing to Lucy all of the time, but the fact remains that he's made himself a top pitching prospect in all of baseball.

KW knows he exists too, which is a positive.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 08:57 PM)
If they do not protect Egbert, I quit. He's struggled adjusting to not throwing to Lucy all of the time, but the fact remains that he's made himself a top pitching prospect in all of baseball.

KW knows he exists too, which is a positive.

a top pitching prospect in all of baseball?? id think you would have a tough time finding 2 GMs in baseball that agree with you on that

QUOTE(daa84 @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 08:36 AM)
a top pitching prospect in all of baseball?? id think you would have a tough time finding 2 GMs in baseball that agree with you on that

you can't argue with the numbers. Egbert has put up some of the best numbers in MiLB over the past 2 years...

I really think Egbert will be in serious contention for an open rotation spot next year, and would not be surprised at all to see him break the 25 man as our 5th starter.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 10:31 AM)
you can't argue with the numbers. Egbert has put up some of the best numbers in MiLB over the past 2 years...

I really think Egbert will be in serious contention for an open rotation spot next year, and would not be surprised at all to see him break the 25 man as our 5th starter.

He's more ready, today, than Gio.

If I needed a starter in Chicago tomorrow, I'd take Egbert. Gonzalez has more upside, of course.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 08:36 AM)

A guy that can throw four pitches for strikes, is one of the leading strikeout pitchers in the minors, limits walks, pitches inside, limits home runs and is not repeating a league?

He's in the top tier right now.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 12:52 PM)
A guy that can throw four pitches for strikes, is one of the leading strikeout pitchers in the minors, limits walks, pitches inside, limits home runs and is not repeating a league?

He's in the top tier right now.

He's my top prospect if I were to be grading on becoming an adequate big league player in the organization, because I see him throwing atleast 800+ innings for the White Sox - so long as he isn't traded - and perhaps more.

Edited by witesoxfan