8/28 Games

SoxAce

Charlotte lost 5-1

Masset

4.1 IP 8 H 5 R 3 ER 1 BB 2 SO

Bourgeois 1-4, BB

Sweeney, Collaro, Lucy 0-12, 4 SO combined

Birmingham still in progress in actually listening to it now. Very exciting game in extras. Tied 4-4

W-S wins 4-2

Omogrosso

6 IP 4 H 2 R 1 ER 3 BB 6 SO

Cassel (remember him)

2 IP 0 H 1 BB 2 SO

Schnurstein 1-3, 2B, R, BB

Gartrell 1-4, HR, 2 RBI, R

Kanny wins 10-9 they won putting up 4th at the bottom of the 9th. Very fun team.

Dubee

6 IP 3 H 1 R 1 ER 1 BB 9 SO

Edwards and Shirek really struggled.

N. Rodriguez 2 IP 1 H 0 R 3 SO

Miranda 2-6, RBI, 2B, R

Allen 1-5

Shelby 2-6, 2 RBI

Carter 1-3, RBI, BB, R

Gomes 2-4, R

Gilbert PH HR in the 9th

GF still in progress up 6-0 in the 7th

Ely

5 IP 2 H 0 R 0 ER 0 BB 4 SO

Bristol lost 6-2

Griffith

2 IP 1 H 0 R 0 ER 1 BB 2 SO

Tollefson

2 IP 1 H 0 R 0 ER 0 BB 1 SO

Morales 3-5, 2B, R

Cheatham 1-4, BB, RBI

L. Johnson 2-4, 2B, R

its sad that this team has so little to chear for on the big league team, and in the minors....people are starting to consider that the sox have the worst farm system in all of baseball....there isnt one position prospect im actually excited about right now....sweeney i guess could still turn out all right, but i still honestly dont see him as ever becoming an impact player....maybe an average OFer....id honestly be thrilled if he turned into a milton bradley type...but im not sure that hell even get there..and how sad is it that our best position prospect barely projects out to milton bradley??

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 10:54 PM)
its sad that this team has so little to chear for on the big league team, and in the minors....people are starting to consider that the sox have the worst farm system in all of baseball....there isnt one position prospect im actually excited about right now....sweeney i guess could still turn out all right, but i still honestly dont see him as ever becoming an impact player....maybe an average OFer....id honestly be thrilled if he turned into a milton bradley type...but im not sure that hell even get there..and how sad is it that our best position prospect barely projects out to milton bradley??

I have more hope for Carter than I do Sweeney, and Carter's like 3-4 years away still. Sweeney just has no power at all, and from what I've seen, just doesn't have the quick wrists necessary to get around the inside pitch. If he can't do that, I'm not sure he'd turn into even Sean Burroughs.

I've always been a fan of Sweeney, because he has a wonderful looking swing, but it just seems he's not strong enough to handle MLB pitching on a regular basis.

I do like the pitching...I figure this bunch will produce probably 2-3 starters (Eg, Gio, and Haeger come to mind), a few relievers, and there are some pretty exciting arms in the lower minors; DLS is almost assured of being a very useful arm for a few years if he's able to stay healthy - either in the pen or the rotation - to go along with Poreda and Griffith (though they did just recently sign). It's not the best pitching depth in the league, but it should atleast be productive.

The pitching is good, I have no beefs about that ATM, it's looked better than it has over the past couple of years.

But the Sox almost need to do a 180, and draft nothing but position players in the 1st 7 rounds of next season's draft. I don't think you could find a worse system than ours when it comes to position player prospects.

I'm getting a little concerned about D Lucy's hitting. Not that he's been spectacular previously, but he was pretty good at AA this year. Now in his first month of AAA, he is hitting just under .200. And worse, he is striking out a ton, which is something he hasn't done at ANY level. I wonder what the deal is there? Hopefully he can turn it around and get back to his more typical .260-.285 range that he has tended to have in his previous full seasons at various levels. With his solid defense, strong arm, very good pitcher handling and a little speed, he could be a great addition to the big club in 2008 replacing Toby Hall.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 11:26 PM)
I'm getting a little concerned about D Lucy's hitting. Not that he's been spectacular previously, but he was pretty good at AA this year. Now in his first month of AAA, he is hitting just under .200. And worse, he is striking out a ton, which is something he hasn't done at ANY level. I wonder what the deal is there? Hopefully he can turn it around and get back to his more typical .260-.285 range that he has tended to have in his previous full seasons at various levels. With his solid defense, strong arm, very good pitcher handling and a little speed, he could be a great addition to the big club in 2008 replacing Toby Hall.

I think 2008's still a bit too early for Donny to be up with us. I'd give him a whole season at AAA to handle the pitching there, and to get him comfortable at that level.

Hall's signed to a 2 year deal as well, so I don't know if the White Sox are going to cut their losses on him, when he's obviously not 100% healthy at the moment, so they haven't really seen what he's capable of.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 10:54 PM)

Since when are we considered the worst farm system in baseball?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 08:04 AM)
Since when are we considered the worst farm system in baseball?

Rob (Chicago): What about my Sox? Anything decent on the horizon outside of Gio Gonzalez?

SportsNation Jim Callis: Not really, no. I was trying to figure out who might have the worst farm system the other day, and the White Sox are my leading candidate.

i also saw us mentioned as being one of 3 teams that have an argument for the worst system, but i can't find it anymore

also baseball america had us at 25 to start the year....texas and SD were below us and certainly both bolstered their systems via trades this year, which according to their list would place us in the bottom 3 or 4.....and now that fields is no longer part of the system...sweeney is increasingly disappointing and cunningham gone it looks bleak......

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 10:21 AM)
i also saw us mentioned as being one of 3 teams that have an argument for the worst system, but i can't find it anymore

also baseball america had us at 25 to start the year....texas and SD were below us and certainly both bolstered their systems via trades this year, which according to their list would place us in the bottom 3 or 4.....and now that fields is no longer part of the system...sweeney is increasingly disappointing and cunningham gone it looks bleak......

Gio was just rated one of the best lefties in the minor leagues, and we have had several standout players of the months and top skills guys. Callis's comment doesnt mean anything to me, as it appears we have several impact arms on the horizon.

Charlotte has a few players worth noting. I think the system is stronger than its given credit for in the pitching department. And there seem to be some exciting players at the lower levels this season - Great Falls and Kanny. But the middle is weak (High A, AA), the DSL don't seem too great, and the whole system is really barren for position player talent. Not completely empty, but pretty close. Overall, the system is hurting. But there are some positives building up as the year goes on, and the Sox managed to do well with getting draft picks signed. So I wouldn't call it the worst or even among the few worst. But definitely below average.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 10:29 AM)
Charlotte has a few players worth noting. I think the system is stronger than its given credit for in the pitching department. And there seem to be some exciting players at the lower levels this season - Great Falls and Kanny. But the middle is weak (High A, AA), the DSL don't seem too great, and the whole system is really barren for position player talent. Not completely empty, but pretty close. Overall, the system is hurting. But there are some positives building up as the year goes on, and the Sox managed to do well with getting draft picks signed. So I wouldn't call it the worst or even among the few worst. But definitely below average.

Agreed. But I see some little bit of light at the end of the tunnel. Our draft this year wasnt bad, Poreda looks to be good, even one of my sleepers (johnson) is producing at the lower tiers. With this upcoming draft, it may be the make or break draft of KW's career.

Callis's comment doesnt mean anything to me, as it appears we have several impact arms on the horizon.

Not to accuse the well respected Jim Callis of any improprieties, but for the record he's a raging Cub fan and generally has gone out of his way to heap praise on Cubs prospects.

I will be quick to say it doesn't mean he's totally off base though. The White Sox farm system needs bolstering big time, both in terms of talent influx and examination of player development. Changes have been made, unfortunately it takes time for some changes to implement.

Here are some of the things which IMO are looking up,

1. The Great Falls team is doing very well after being stocked with recent draftees and adding a solid veteran manager. Poreda is off to a fine start and a few other pitchers and position players are showing they can do the job. Having your Pioneer League team do well isn't the be all end all, but it's a positive sign.

2. They have Ruben Amaro in charge of the Dominican operation. Not sure when this happened but Amaro is one of the pioneers of bringing Latin American talent to MLB and he has arguably some of the best connections in the DR. They have two DSL teams which is a good thing.

3. They have a full time scout in the Pacific Rim now, and we have seen a trickle of Asian talent come our way.

4. Kannapolis which was a major disaster last year is doing better in '07.

Personally I think the farm system has bottomed out and things are on the way to getting better.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 10:05 AM)
Personally I think the farm system has bottomed out and things are on the way to getting better.

Good post. I totally agree, especially about Great Falls. I think things are looking up for sure. On each and every farm team, there are a few guys to get at least somewhat excited about. This years draft, I think, was highly successful. If next years can be equally as good, things will improve even more. There must be teams with worst systems. I think Callis is just taking a shot at the Sox. Like said, he's a f***ing Cub fan.

Adding to this, I will say there are some definite and obvious needs for improvement. Player development is the next big focus, a new guy is in charge and as I have mentioned on this site before I believe you will see some philosophical changes and a few staffing changes after the season. Some (most?) of this will be transparent to the average fans eyes.

One change that's already being implemented, they are being more patient with guys and making sure they are playing the game the right way, fundamentally, and are given every opportunity to improve their skills and master them before moving to the next level. It is not an exact science but this is how the Twins do it, among other teams upon whom praise is heaped on this site. I expect some of the instructors to change, some were changed after last year as well.

An example is this Valido kid, the SS. He has arguably major league defensive talent and a very good arm and is a pretty heady ballplayer. However his bat has been awful. They are going to devote every resource they have with him and make sure they give him every chance before they give up. Patience is the word.

The scouting mission has been changed, they are looking for potentially higher impact guys but guys who are ballplayers, therefore they should be on a slightly faster track. However as much as it frustrates me I do not see them being a team that goes much if any over slot bonus recommendations. While I do see them somewhat shifting the focus toward position players I do not think the pendalum will swing totally. The Sox will still take lots and lots of pitching because if you have good pitching, you win and you can always trade pitching for other needs. However they have been bitten on the behind by not having any young impact bats, with the exception of possibly Fields.

I have already discussed the Dominican operation at length so no need to go into it again.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 04:05 PM)
2. They have Ruben Amaro in charge of the Dominican operation. Not sure when this happened but Amaro is one of the pioneers of bringing Latin American talent to MLB and he has arguably some of the best connections in the DR. They have two DSL teams which is a good thing.

Not sure you could provide an answer on this, but could you give a ballpark answer on when Amaro was hired? Before the season? During the season? Past year?

Your info is much appreciated, BTW -- I (among others, I bet) have taken to diligently reading your posts. It's clear that you do your homework and know your s***, so... Keep it up, I guess.

Not sure you could provide an answer on this, but could you give a ballpark answer on when Amaro was hired? Before the season? During the season? Past year?

Not sure on the exact date but they hired him sometime after the end of last season (2006). So he hasn't been working for the White Sox that long.

I do know they wanted more help and resources for the Dominican operation and their academy which has been run by Denny Gonzalez who doubles as a scout. My understanding is Amaro's primary asset is his connections and influence in the Dominican. Not certain exactly what that means but he was a Phillies scout in the Domincan for many many years and of course was a former major leaguer. By the way his son Ruben Amaro Jr. as you may know is Asst. GM in Philly and Amaro Jr. and Kenny Williams went to Stanford together, so there is a family connection so to speak.

Also I believe but am not certain on this, the White Sox added at least one part time scout to the Dominican last fall. I posted the list a few days ago and I think they have 2 full timers and a few part timers.

Addition - The White Sox' full time scout in the Pacific Rim is Ray Poitevent, who scouted there for the Red Sox for many years. The Red Sox have always been involved with sourcing players from the Far East countries.

Seems to me the White Sox are identifying scouts from other organizations and bringing them on board.

Edited by 29andPoplar

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 12:39 PM)
An example is this Valido kid, the SS. He has arguably major league defensive talent and a very good arm and is a pretty heady ballplayer. However his bat has been awful. They are going to devote every resource they have with him and make sure they give him every chance before they give up. Patience is the word.

Just by looking at the ages of many of our minor league players, I'd say the Sox are patient enough. I imagine they will be as patient as possible with both Valido and Francisco Hernandez, who has also been very streaky and relatively slow developing (although he is a catcher and should be expected to take longer). I don't know how true this is, but I know the Sox have gotten ragged on a bit in the past for 'rushing' players like Arnie Munoz and Kip Wells. Then again, it's Arnie Munoz and Kip Wells. They've rushed Danks and McCarthy recently to good results. Obviously Danks has a way to go but IMO he has handled himself nicely during his rookie year when he really should have been in Charlotte.

Unfortunately I agree with everything you say here, and I say unfortunately because I would bet on a lot of disappointed Sox fans next June when we pass up a good Borass client or two in order to take a projected mid-rounder with a top-5 pick.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 04:32 PM)
Addition - The White Sox' full time scout in the Pacific Rim is Ray Poitevent, who scouted there for the Red Sox for many years. The Red Sox have always been involved with sourcing players from the Far East countries.

Poitevint (and myself... A little back-patting necessary) pretty much nailed the scouting report on Matsuzaka...http://www.southsidesox.com/story/2006/10/25/173815/66