2008 Amateur draft

BamaDoc

Its come to looking ahead. Is there a good web site or two that have projections for 2008. Also regarding draft order, do the picks alternate between leagues or do they go by record only? Currently, we have the second worst record, but Tampa is AL team. Would we pick 2nd or third?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. It's probably too early to begin assembling names, but several high profile players thrown around are Pedro Alvarez, Brian Matuz(?), Justin Smoak. All are college players; all are projectable players. I'm certain you'll hear more of these three down the road.

2. Yes, we would pick second. Picks don't alternative between leagues. Look no further than this last draft; Tampa selected first and Kansas City second.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 08:35 AM)
I rarely pay attention to the MLB draft for various reasons, but I do wonder if teams trade and package trade picks to move up in the draft much in the same way NFL and NBA teams do?

You can't trade picks in the MLB draft, hence why the first round usually lasts only a few minutes (at least until ESPN got a hold of it.)

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 06:57 AM)
Aaron Crow from Missouri is also a possible top 5 pick, he throws 93-98 with a good slider.

Hate to say it...but I really...really...really want a position player with that pick if there's one available. Someone who could potentially play middle Infield and hit would just be a thing of beauty.

I would love that as well, but not if it is a reactionary move. I think best long term drafting is taking the best player available and SIGNING them. I don't want inferior talent taken for signability reasons. Now if two players are rated equal then signability is a factor.

Keith Law has a top-20 preview on ESPN Insider. I won't post the whole thing, but here were his top 5:

1) OF Isaac Galloway (Los Osos HS, CA)

2) OF Aaron Hicks (Wilson HS, CA) (think he's also a pitcher)

3) Justin Smoak, 1B, University of South Carolina

4) Brian Matusz, SP, University of San Diego

5) Pedro Alvarez, 3B, Vanderbilt

He seems to like the high schoolers, even though from what I've read/heard Alvarez is the current favorite for #1.

Also, he mentions Jordan Danks at #20. I'm somewhat worried that we're going to take him, as we have drafted him before and seem to like him. If he has a big year there's nothing wrong with that necessarily, but thus far he's projected as more of a mid-1st pick that we might take because we're confident he'd sign.

Also, he's another article (blatantly stolen from an old thread in FutureSox):

Old thread with MLB.com artile

Keep in mind that this is going to change DRASTICALLY between now and then, some guys are going to move up/down based on performance, and probably at least one guy that wasn't mentioned will shoot up the draft boards or come out of nowhere to be a high pick (especially for the high schoolers).

Edit- My bad, link no good, changed it to the Soxtalk one (about 3 posts down).

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 09:33 AM)
although I wouldn't mind us taking a pitcher that would be ready to contribute right away.

My problem with taking a pitcher is that, aside from the bullpen (and you sure as hell better not be drafting relievers top 5) is that we really seem to my eyes to have a surplus of bodies for that role. They may not all be dominant...but they at least exist...and all that it would do by grabbing another one is displace someone we may already have.

Buehrle

Contreras

Vazquez

Danks

All 4 of those guys appear to be locks to be on this team through the end of 08 at least, probably all through the end of 09, and probably a few of them longer than that (Danks, Buehrle, Vaz). Jose can't be dealt easily unless he improves dramatically, and if he does so it's not worth dealing him...but even if he is dealt, then that leaves 3 guys locked into the rotation...and behind them, we're looking at a backlog of youth already:

Gio

Floyd

Egbert

De Los Santos

Broadway

McCullough

Poreda in a couple years

And if you're into that kind of thing, Haeger.

Now, naturally, not all of those guys are going to turn into success stories...but at the very most, it appears we will need 2 starting pitchers within the next 3 years barring injury. And out of that list, with guys like Gio in it, it's hard to believe we can't come up with at least 2 league average guys...and then we have a ton of trade fodder after that.

Taking another pitcher only makes sense to me if you've already dealt a few of those guys to fill your gaping position holes, especially, to my eyes, middle infield. I think we'd be far better off with 2 of the guys we already have sliding in to fill those spots and drafting a position player right now than we would be going the pitching route and having to find someone who'll give us a position player.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 11:39 AM)
Gio

Floyd

Egbert

De Los Santos

Broadway

McCullough

Poreda in a couple years

And if you're into that kind of thing, Haeger.

Taking another pitcher only makes sense to me if you've already dealt a few of those guys to fill your gaping position holes, especially, to my eyes, middle infield. I think we'd be far better off with 2 of the guys we already have sliding in to fill those spots and drafting a position player right now than we would be going the pitching route and having to find someone who'll give us a position player.

Balta, of those names only Egbert and Gonzalez are legitimate options for 08'/09. I'm sorry, Broadway and McCulloch are dead to me. DLS and Poreda are stills a ways off. Williams' love child Floyd may be given a long look as a starter, but he'll probably ride out in the pen.

If we're selecting Top 3, obviously the preference should be for a positional player. I would hope the decision is so difficult for our scouting staff because all available players are that talented. But if Matusz, the lefthanded starter out of San Diego, is about the closest thing to Verlander/Lincecum in the draft you have to weigh your priorities. Obviously we could use positional players, but if he's talented enough to reach the majors in several seasons there will be millions left open to sign potential FA's. Positional players are better bets for long term deals, anyways.

I would say, 10 months before the draft, that any projection board has to place Alvarez on top. Boras or not. After that I can't say this early, but if Matusz if everything his statistics and scouting reports say he is, it wouldn't be a poor consolation prize. Only way to make sure we have a choice of the whole field -- CONTINUE LOSING.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 10:51 AM)
Balta, of those names only Egbert and Gonzalez are legitimate options for 08'/09. I'm sorry, Broadway and McCulloch are dead to me. DLS and Poreda are stills a ways off. Williams' love child Floyd may be given a long look as a starter, but he'll probably ride out in the pen.

Even if we're at the top of the draft...the odds of us getting anyone who is a legit option for 08/09 is almost zero, and it'd probably be fairly silly to sign someone to a contract (a-la Andrew Miller) requiring they come up and start their arb clock anyway.

So, if we're looking at a top-3 pick, I think you have to take into account where the holes will be after about 2-3 years down the road, because that's where that player's impact might appear. And if you look 2-3 years down the road, you do see names like De Los Santos and Poreda on the horizon...along with guys like Gio, Egbert, Buehrle, Danks, and Vazquez...which suggests to me that there's still a line forming to get into the rotation.

On the other hand, I see Richar in the middle infield, no one else there, and an OF who's only workable parts that we currently possess are Owens, Anderson, and Sweeney, assuming JD moves to DH, and an aging catcher in AJ. I do see Fields hanging around and putting up his home runs at 3rd, but it sure looks to me like the biggest future holes are #1 SS by a long shot because we have absolutely nothing there, and second the OF, where we wind up hoping for Anderson, Owens, and Sweeney to develop into something.

I'm almost willing to bet anything that Kenny takes a pitcher (sigh). I honestly wouldn't mind if the Sox went with the AA lineup just to get a shot at Alvarez (who draws ARod comparisons). Those guys don't come around all that often...so why not.

Here's a couple other sites:

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/stories/080907aae.html

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=400

QUOTE(Wanne @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 11:20 AM)
I'm almost willing to bet anything that Kenny takes a pitcher (sigh). I honestly wouldn't mind if the Sox went with the AA lineup just to get a shot at Alvarez (who draws ARod comparisons). Those guys don't come around all that often...so why not.

It seems to me there's a guy who draws an ARod comparison like every year or two?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 01:22 PM)
It seems to me there's a guy who draws an ARod comparison like every year or two?

True. I think a few years ago the Upton kid for the DBacks did. He blasted through there system pretty quick too.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 01:43 PM)
so it's come to this. an mlb draft thread in august.

god please make this season end.

Ahhhhhhh....like the Bears boards of past. Draft talk by beginning of November....and 6 months of latent blather with little Mel Kiper wannabes on draft prospects.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 03:55 PM)
Keith Law has a top-20 preview on ESPN Insider. I won't post the whole thing, but here were his top 5:

1) OF Isaac Galloway (Los Osos HS, CA)

2) OF Aaron Hicks (Wilson HS, CA) (think he's also a pitcher)

3) Justin Smoak, 1B, University of South Carolina

4) Brian Matusz, SP, University of San Diego

5) Pedro Alvarez, 3B, Vanderbilt

He seems to like the high schoolers, even though from what I've read/heard Alvarez is the current favorite for #1.

Also, he mentions Jordan Danks at #20. I'm somewhat worried that we're going to take him, as we have drafted him before and seem to like him. If he has a big year there's nothing wrong with that necessarily, but thus far he's projected as more of a mid-1st pick that we might take because we're confident he'd sign.

Also, he's another article (blatantly stolen from an old thread in FutureSox):

Old thread with MLB.com artile

Keep in mind that this is going to change DRASTICALLY between now and then, some guys are going to move up/down based on performance, and probably at least one guy that wasn't mentioned will shoot up the draft boards or come out of nowhere to be a high pick (especially for the high schoolers).

Edit- My bad, link no good, changed it to the Soxtalk one (about 3 posts down).

picking by position only, I'd take the 1B. By the time he would be projected to be big-league ready, Paulie could be moved to DH.

We've had/have plenty of OF prospects in the system. Same with Pitchers. Assuming Fields is the 3B from 2009-on, then I would think 1B/2B/SS/C would be position needs.