Sox vs. Tigers

The Ginger Kid

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Tigers are getting deperate. They need a shot in the arm big time and are hoping Kenny Rogers is the spark. Tigers are now 3.5 out in the wild card and almost out of it totally in the division.

Very interested to see how Floyd responds. He did very well against Detroit the last time but now they've seen him and they are good hitters. He will need to adjust. Another character test for Floyd and it appears they are starting Donny Lucy behind the plate. Floyd needs to go pedal to the metal for 5 strong innings, if you get 6 or 7 that's a huge bonus. If he flops tonite you will see either Broadway or Phillips in to mop up.

Huge game for Detroit and I think they will be patient with Floyd and make him throw strikes. He will need to do what Garland did last nite, work in a lot. Let's hope he's got bite on the curveball tonight. I want to see him succeed because I think his biggest problem is confidence, the arm is there.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 09:10 PM)
The Tigers are getting deperate. They need a shot in the arm big time and are hoping Kenny Rogers is the spark. Tigers are now 3.5 out in the wild card and almost out of it totally in the division.

Very interested to see how Floyd responds. He did very well against Detroit the last time but now they've seen him and they are good hitters. He will need to adjust. Another character test for Floyd and it appears they are starting Donny Lucy behind the plate. Floyd needs to go pedal to the metal for 5 strong innings, if you get 6 or 7 that's a huge bonus. If he flops tonite you will see either Broadway or Phillips in to mop up.

Huge game for Detroit and I think they will be patient with Floyd and make him throw strikes. He will need to do what Garland did last nite, work in a lot. Let's hope he's got bite on the curveball tonight. I want to see him succeed because I think his biggest problem is confidence, the arm is there.

Exactly. Couldn't be more right, and that's why they still have him in this situation.

I still don't see what others see with the "arm" being there as if he's got exceptional stuff and if only -- if only -- he'd "focus" and "attack" he'd be good! No. He's a 91-93 MPH pitcher with an inconsistent motion and an inability to consistently finish his pitches as a result. His problems are mechanical, first, and confidence fifth.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 04:31 PM)
I still don't see what others see with the "arm" being there as if he's got exceptional stuff and if only -- if only -- he'd "focus" and "attack" he'd be good! No. He's a 91-93 MPH pitcher with an inconsistent motion and an inability to consistently finish his pitches as a result. His problems are mechanical, first, and confidence fifth.

I think if that were the case, he'd be more erratic within each outing, from throw to throw. But he's not. He is erratic from outing to outing, indicating a problem with frame of mind. He is a head case.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 04:33 PM)
I think if that were the case, he'd be more erratic within each outing, from throw to throw. But he's not. He is erratic from outing to outing, indicating a problem with frame of mind. He is a head case.

In plenty of outings you see him throw a curveball that flies over the catcher's head because he doesn't finish it or it slips out and then ten curveballs later he's got a beautiful curve a couple of times over and then boom, it's gone again. He's a headcase, sure, but his problem is mainly that his arm is nowhere near the power arm people thought it was, too. His stuff isn't as good as whatever Kenny William's scouting report says about him.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 09:37 PM)
In plenty of outings you see him throw a curveball that flies over the catcher's head because he doesn't finish it or it slips out and then ten curveballs later he's got a beautiful curve a couple of times over and then boom, it's gone again. He's a headcase, sure, but his problem is mainly that his arm is nowhere near the power arm people thought it was, too. His stuff isn't as good as whatever Kenny William's scouting report says about him.

How many times can you contradict yourself in one post?

What's contradictory? It's a complicated issue. He certainly has a great curveball one pitch out of twenty every other day. His mechanics are the biggest source of that because his motion is absolutely inconsistent. Sure, he lacks confidence, but his velocity isn't what it's advertised and his curveball can't be rated too great because he might throw it beautiful once or twice when given five dozen chances to throw it in a game. He's a lot of things but good isn't one of them.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 05:33 PM)
What's contradictory? It's a complicated issue. He certainly has a great curveball one pitch out of twenty every other day. His mechanics are the biggest source of that because his motion is absolutely inconsistent. Sure, he lacks confidence, but his velocity isn't what it's advertised and his curveball can't be rated too great because he might throw it beautiful once or twice when given five dozen chances to throw it in a game. He's a lot of things but good isn't one of them.

I guess some of us don't see the same things. I see one outing where he can locate a very good curveball most of the time plus a 92-93 FB and the occasional change... then I see another outing where all he throws is a fastball (erratically) and an occasional curveball that inevitably hangs.

Plus today, he is pitching to a guy in his first MLB game ever. Anything could happen.

I agree.

With Floyd, it's executive of pitches first, confidence much later.

He can't keep hanging breaking balls and pitching high in the zone, especially in The Cell, because he'll give up a zillion homers.

Detroit is a better place for him to pitch. He needs to improve command and execution, and there's no guarantee he can do either.

QUOTE(Linnwood @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 06:42 PM)
Is Donny Lucy supposed to be our eventual AJP replacement?

Only if we want to be like the Astros. Which is a great compliment to Lucy, though it's not warranted as I doubt his defense is AS good as Ausmus'. Might be someday, though.

Ah, Suzuki...to have either Suzuki...

Not to crap all over Floyd but he doesn't look too hot facing this terrible lineup. His pitches don't look that good, nor does his location. If this were a slightly better lineup, or if Ivan Rodriguez were a little more than half the man he used to be, he'd be in a huge hole. Even Hawk is ridiculing this offense.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 05:51 PM)
Not to crap all over Floyd but he doesn't look too hot facing this terrible lineup. His pitches don't look that good, nor does his location. If this were a slightly better lineup, or if Ivan Rodriguez were a little more than half the man he used to be, he'd be in a huge hole. Even Hawk is ridiculing this offense.

haha yeah leyland seriuosly plays his back ups probaby more than ozzie...it seems like someone like hessman or neifi (timo now) is in the lineup at least once a game for the tigers

I'm not necessarily trying to mock Floyd. I genuinely wish he'd succeed, but he's not very good and the results here are there but the method just isn't. It's like copying your homework. That doesn't mean you've passed any tests.

Take that last at-bat, for instance, to end the inning. The guy looked like an idiot swinging at a curveball that was around his neck.

Listen Tiger, he's not Blyleven throwing a curveball at your head that's going to break into the strikezone. It was one that got away all the way and if you were half a decent hitter, you'd have never even thought of swinging at it.