Sox vs. Tigers

The Ginger Kid

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 07:20 PM)
Some of you guys are amazing. Talk about coming in with an impenetrable bias. The guy has thrown 4 shutout innings, struck out 4, gotten it done WITH RUNNERS ON (one of his weak points), and is throwing his curveball without hanging it most of the time. And somehow, you make it into him looking terrible. I guess once you have all baseball players are incapable of improving in your eyes. Perfect he is not tonight, but he looks pretty darn good.

My only concern, something I didn't really pay attention to until tonight... he is HORRIBLE at holding runners on. I mean, we all knew he pitched weakly in those scenarios, but he is as bad at allowing runners to lead and steal as Contreras.

He is facing a lousy, lousy lineup tonight. Hawk was mocking them. He would not have these results against anything resembling a good lineup. And by my count he's given up two deep, deep shots that would've been gone in any other park.

Good results, like I said, but he is definitely lacking tonight and his performance tonight doesn't inspire me to say, "I'd love to have him starting for a contender!"

Edited by Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 08:20 PM)
I guess once you have all baseball players are incapable of improving in your eyes.

I don't know if you are speaking to me, but I do not think Floyd is incapable of improvement. I was simply point out that he seems a little sloppy tonight, espically that last out of the bottom of the third. Floyd lucked out that Raburn made himself look silly.

Also: first base hit for Lucy.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 12:20 AM)
The opposite to that is he's living in some people's living rooms and paying most of the rent around here because he's been oh-so-bad in the last 100+ innings and through this season but if he does good, he's just fulfilling "potential" and when he does bad it's just...what? Luck? A fluke? I don't know. Ozzie, maybe. Ozzie being bad to the young player.

Find for me the place where Tony or I -- the main people of this debate -- have said Floyd would be a good pitcher. We've said this: there's absolutely NOTHING to lose by pitching him with the Sox the rest of the season. See if it works out, he has nothing left to prove at AAA.

You have responded with: No, he sucks -- you can't see that already?

And we go 'round in a circle.

"And the beat goes on..."

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 08:26 PM)
there's absolutely NOTHING to lose by pitching him with the Sox the rest of the season. See if it works out, he has nothing left to prove at AAA.

I completely agree with that. Get something productive out of this awful season.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 08:31 PM)
Who the crap is Hessman?

FSN Detroit announcers were saying Hessman was in the lineup tonight because Hessman had a good record against Floyd in the minors, and both of Hessman's HR in the majors have come off of Floyd.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 07:30 PM)
You know, I wasn't even talking about how he sucks by saying "He sucks." All I did was analyze how he's pitched and looked and everybody's like, "WHY DON'T YOU LEAVE HIM ALONE! HE LOOKS FINE, BULLY!"

Gives up his third bomb, this one all the way out.

fly outs are bombs?

And give me a break. No one cares who you criticize - its that you criticize non-existent or marginal things to justify your already-existing biases, even when the current evidence is to the contrary. Is that more clear for you?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 12:30 AM)
You know, I wasn't even talking about how he sucks by saying "He sucks."

No, instead you call him "tiger" -- which I find funny, since he's about seven (?) years older than you -- and say he throws a curveball when it was clearly not a curveball. Fantastic analysis there, "Tiger"!

Gives up his third bomb, this one all the way out.

Hah -- and you get upset when people single you out.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 07:33 PM)
fly outs are bombs?

And give me a break. No one cares who you criticize - its that you criticize non-existent or marginal things to justify your already-existing biases, even when the current evidence is to the contrary. Is that more clear for you?

My bias is the same as yours but from a different angle. You are merely looking at the final line and not the way he is throwing. There is nobody credible who will look at this game and see that Floyd has turned any sort of corner.

It's "analysis" like what you're giving that leads us to Nick Masset and Gavin Floyd because of how they pitch in Mexico and Arizona.

This has not been a well-pitched game. And yes, deep deep deep shots in Comerica park are bombs that don't go all the way out and he's lucky that's where they are.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 07:36 PM)
No, instead you call him "tiger" -- which I find funny, since he's about seven (?) years older than you -- and say he throws a curveball when it was clearly not a curveball. Fantastic analysis there, "Tiger"!

Hah -- and you get upset when people single you out.

Actually I was "addressing" Rayburn not Floyd, if you had read that. And you "single" me out? Ha!