Sox vs. Tigers

The Ginger Kid

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 07:52 PM)
Pratt....no reason to not root for Floyd. I don't think he's very good, and he sure seems to throw a ton of terrible pitches. However, try not to analyze every pitch he throws. Instead, analyze why Andre Ethier is playing G. Soto on the warning track!

!!!

:lol:

You agree he hasn't looked good though, right?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 07:54 PM)
So does that mean when we hear about how good Detroit pitchers are, and how the future of the Tigers is so much brighter than the Sox, we should discredit the staff because the play in Comerica? Is that alright?

You can do whatever the hell you want. :lol:

Besides that, there are significant things to consider when discussing a player and their home ballpark is definitely a part of it. But I'm not going to have any sort of serious conversation with you because neither of us is genuinely interested in that at this point.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 12:47 AM)
Buy a better jersey than a Borchard jersey and then we'll talk.

Nice red herring -- figures, can't debate the topic at hand, so go to something else.

This is also the second time you've brought up the Borchard jersey, which has what to do with what? Your purpose in bringing it up has what, exactly, to do with this (or any, really?) topic? Oh, right, absolutely nothing.

And I've heard much worse than you could type on your keyboard. If you could come up with something clever, I might actually laugh, but -- IlliniKrush, Tony, SnB and Rowand all have you beat in the "Keith's Borchard Jersey!!!!" joke.

Since you want to take cheapshots because

Cheapshots? What cheapshots? I've never agreed with much of your pitching "analysis", starting with your comments about B-Mac and continuing with your (ludicrous) comments about David Wells and Jamie Moyer being Hall of Famers. It has to do with pitching and my disagreement of your analysis, so I don't see what I said as a "cheapshot".

of course, you've got all the VORP in the world

Two red herrings in one post? Well done, Tiger!

I'm glad you know exactly what Floyd was throwing because all it looked like was a flat, poorly executed pitch adn it's hard to say what it was. s***, man. That's silly.

I know what Floyd was throwing because I know what a curveball looks like, and that wasn't a curveball. But apparently curveballs move in towards right-handed hitters and come in at 85 -- thanks, you're just dropping knowledge left and right, Gregory!

If you had any clue whatsoever, you'd realize that a couple pages back I more or less agreed with your statements about how he was pitching tonight, but at this point, it's gone beyond that, Tiger.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 12:54 AM)
!!!

:lol:

You agree he hasn't looked good though, right?

I think his stuff is not even on the same planet as the type of stuff he was supposed to have. His control is too erratic, and that leads to way too many hittable pitches. He reminds me a lot of Jason Grilli out of the pen.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 07:56 PM)
Nice red herring -- figures, can't debate the topic at hand, so go to something else.

This is also the second time you've brought up the Borchard jersey, which has what to do with what? Your purpose in bringing it up has what, exactly, to do with this (or any, really?) topic? Oh, right, absolutely nothing.

And I've heard much worse than you could type on your keyboard. If you could come up with something clever, I might actually laugh, but -- IlliniKrush, Tony, SnB and Rowand all have you beat in the "Keith's Borchard Jersey!!!!" joke.

Cheapshots? What cheapshots? I've never agreed with much of your pitching "analysis", starting with your comments about B-Mac and continuing with your (ludicrous) comments about David Wells and Jamie Moyer being Hall of Famers. It has to do with pitching and my disagreement of your analysis, so I don't see what I said as a "cheapshot".

of course, you've got all the VORP in the world

Two red herrings in one post? Well done, Tiger!

I know what Floyd was throwing because I know what a curveball looks like, and that wasn't a curveball. But apparently curveballs move in towards right-handed hitters and come in at 85 -- thanks, your just dropping knowledge left and right, Gregory!

If you had any clue whatsoever, you'd realize that a couple pages back I more or less agreed with your statements about how he was pitching tonight, but at this point, it's gone beyond that, Tiger.

You've got balls of steel, man. You made a couple of irrelevant red herring cracks and you're coming after me for giving the same type of irrelevant crack to you? As if you hadn't said anything? My my my.

And, uh, what Floyd threw could've been anything. It was clearly something he didn't actually throw right and so it came in rolling weakly and soft. Don't give me this bulls*** about me not knowing what a curveball looks like. s***, you don't know what a curveball looks like if you think that lobbed ball was unequivocally a curveball. That s*** could've been anything.

I think his stuff is not even on the same planet as the type of stuff he was supposed to have. His control is too erratic, and that leads to way too many hittable pitches. He reminds me a lot of Jason Grilli out of the pen.

No, no way in my book. Not Jason Grilli. Grilli is a guy who had a hard biting slider and a fastball he couldn't control with bad mechanics.

Floyd is a guy with a much better curveball, not as good a fastball by quite a bit, and a lack of confidence.

As for Thames hitting a few to left field, in most parks they are foul and lots of times pitchers throw stuff in accordance to the park they're in. Not that Floyd has that level of experience but the key tonight is whether he battles and comes back and gets guys. I for one was impressed how he handled Hessman after he went opposite field for the HR. Bust him in and break his bat, which he did.

This is not about position statements and sticking to one's guns here. This is about rooting for this guy to succeed and get over the hump, whether it's to be part of the future or to get some other team to give something up for him.

In the second post of the game thread I said Floyd needed to battle for 5 innings minimum and he's done that, so it's mission accomplished as far as I'm concerned, and let's give him another test and see how he does.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 01:01 AM)
You've got balls of steel, man. You made a couple of irrelevant red herring cracks and you're coming after me for giving the same type of irrelevant crack to you? As if you hadn't said anything? My my my.

Where are my irrelevant red herring cracks? Can you point them out to me? Honestly -- if you point them out to me, I'll admit (something) I said was red herring if something is clearly and obviously. Do you feel my comment about your HoF pitchers was red herring? I defended why I thought it was 'in play' -- perhaps you disagree?

And, uh, what Floyd threw could've been anything. It was clearly something he didn't actually throw right and so it came in rolling weakly and soft. Don't give me this bulls*** about me not knowing what a curveball looks like. s***, you don't know what a curveball looks like if you think that lobbed ball was unequivocally a curveball. That s*** could've been anything.

No, you're right -- they called for a curveball in the exact same spot two times in a row. Definitely a curve. Weakly and soft? 85 qualifies as "weakly and soft"?

s*** man, you're right -- definitely a curve.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 08:07 PM)
Just wanted to check Greg, you'd sent me a PM last night and I responded this morning but I'm not sure it got through as my internet connection seemed to time out.

Did you get my response?

No, I didn't. I was wondering about that. I thought, "Holy s***, I must've greatly offended him."

I don't want to talk about it anymore here, though, so if you could re-respond and keep it private, I'd appreciate that.

I have the same problem sometimes sending PMs too, though.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 01:04 AM)
No, no way in my book. Not Jason Grilli. Grilli is a guy who had a hard biting slider and a fastball he couldn't control with bad mechanics.

Floyd is a guy with a much better curveball, not as good a fastball by quite a bit, and a lack of confidence.

As for Thames hitting a few to left field, in most parks they are foul and lots of times pitchers throw stuff in accordance to the park they're in. Not that Floyd has that level of experience but the key tonight is whether he battles and comes back and gets guys. I for one was impressed how he handled Hessman after he went opposite field for the HR. Bust him in and break his bat, which he did.

This is not about position statements and sticking to one's guns here. This is about rooting for this guy to succeed and get over the hump, whether it's to be part of the future or to get some other team to give something up for him.

In the second post of the game thread I said Floyd needed to battle for 5 innings minimum and he's done that, so it's mission accomplished as far as I'm concerned, and let's give him another test and see how he does.

I wasn't saying they threw the same pitches...I was saying that both of them really struggle with their command, as it seems they have no ability to pitch to the 4 quadrants. I don't think Floyd has very good mechanics, and I think a big flaw is he shows the hitter the ball way too much.

QUOTE(Linnwood @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 08:08 PM)
Anyone care to say what AJP is doing the game, and what Hawk said re: AJP's wife?

He said that AJ's back after his wife's grandmother died. He said, though, "AJ's wife's died, grandmother..." and then explained. It was really rough sounding. He didn't mean anything. Just misspoke, but it sounded like he'd said his wife was dead.

This outing has to be considered a major success for Floyd. By no means am I annointing him a part of the future or anything, but he battled and showed confidence in the curveball. This against a team who'd seen him before, is a good offensive team, and is in a fight for its life.

He is deserving of another start, at a minimum. Also I was impressed with how Lucy received. Loved how Rogers threw the ball to Guillen on Lucy's first MLB hit, very classy, and also loved how Rogers gave Lucy his best pickoff move on the very next pitch. That stuff is part of what makes baseball great. Lucy will remember that the rest of his life.

QUOTE(Linnwood @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 01:08 AM)
Anyone care to say what AJP is doing the game, and what Hawk said re: AJP's wife?

He goes "we didn't expect to see AJ until next week, as he went back for the funeral of his wife Lisa's......grandmother. There was quite a pause before who he said it was.

No, I didn't. I was wondering about that. I thought, "Holy s***, I must've greatly offended him."

I don't want to talk about it anymore here, though, so if you could re-respond and keep it private, I'd appreciate that.

I have the same problem sometimes sending PMs too, though.

Will do, I'll resend tomorrow.