Sox vs. Tigers- 12:05pm

Vance Law

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That 9th inning was laughable. I can't really blame Jenks, because if Richar and Cintron can both make plays that were merely slightly tougher than average, we win the game. Ah well, doesn't matter though, but it's a shame we wasted another great Buehrle outing.

Very good way to put it.

Now Buehrle, as I understand it, will get a break before his next start.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 02:57 PM)
That 9th inning was laughable. I can't really blame Jenks, because if Richar and Cintron can both make plays that were merely slightly tougher than average, we win the game. Ah well, doesn't matter though, but it's a shame we wasted another great Buehrle outing.

This game is what the Sox need the blown save was becasue the defense sucks and shows Cintron is not an MLB player. Konerko and Thome with a clutch hits, good bullpen stuff from those that have a future and a loss to get closer to the number onme pick. OK with me.

This is the worst team in professional baseball. Even our so-called good players just aren't that good. Then the other half of the team should not even be playing in the majors. we have about 10 25th guys on this roster. Pathetic fall from graace...lets resign them all, go get some more old grinders and go for the records next year.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 03:48 PM)
I like Polanco and the Sox were looking for a secondbaseman at the time he was moved. Did the Tigers have to give anything up for him?

The Tigers acquired Polanco from the Philadelphia Phillies in 2005, for relief pitcher Ugueth "The Murderer" Urbina. The Phillies were looking to unload Polanco because they had Chase Utley ready and waiting for full time duty.

"They needed relief pitchers, and we needed a second baseman, so the trade happened pretty quickly," GM David Dombrowski said.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 03:03 PM)
This is the worst team in professional baseball. Even our so-called good players just aren't that good. Then the other half of the team should not even be playing in the majors. we have about 10 25th guys on this roster. Pathetic fall from graace...lets resign them all, go get some more old grinders and go for the records next year.

Certainly the worst offense. I'd say not nearly the worst pitching staff.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 02:52 PM)
You like him, I do not. It is my opinion he has shown me nothing, you love everything about him that is quite obvious.

Can you give me a quick Danny Richar scouting report? I haven't seen him play much since he was recalled and it seems you've seen pretty much all of his ABs. Any help would be appreciated.

You're right about him failing in the majority of RBI situations, he doesn't get a hit anywhere close to 50% of the time. His .308/.379/.423/.802 season line with RISP is pretty terrible. That means with runners in scoring position he's only getting on base 38% of the time so most of the time he's been kept of the basebaths.

Can you give me a quick Danny Richar scouting report? I haven't seen him play much since he was recalled and it seems you've seen pretty much all of his ABs. Any help would be appreciated.

You're right about him failing in the majority of RBI situations, he doesn't get a hit anywhere close to 50% of the time. His .308/.379/.423/.802 season line with RISP is pretty terrible. That means with runners in scoring position he's only getting on base 38% of the time so most of the time he's been kept of the basebaths.

It is obviously too soon to have a definitive take on Richar as I believe you're implying. One thing is this, he now has over 100 at bats with regular playing time and for me, that is when I truly start noticing trends of performance and begin to form a realistic opinion.

Thus far I like his range, I love how he turns the DP, and his hands look above average to me. He goes to get pop flys well and he appears to have good baseball instincts.

At the plate I am less impressed but realize he is going through a huge learning curve. He takes pitches well but on the other hand he doesn't walk much, 12 times in 106 AB's. Not a red flag but worth watching. The flip side is he doesn't K much and has an idea how to work at bats. I believe more walks will come if it is emphasized to him that's what they want.

He has a little pop and can turn on pitches but he is overmatched a lot. Not surprising but I would like to see much more progress the rest of this month. I like how they are giving him an opportunity. As of now he looks like a #9 hitter in 2008, sharing playing time with a veteran guy who can also play other positions, quite possibly Ozuna.

What they really want at #9 and #1 is on base percentage. So far he is showing intangibles like being able to work an at bat and not striking out much. He has only been on base at less than a .300 clip so far but again it's too soon to really tell. Only one stolen base is another thing to watch, but maybe he doesn't have the green light.

He has a ways to go which is not unusual for someone in his situation.

Call me crazy, but you can mark this down. I have a feeling that these core hitters who have been lacking punch will be waking up and suddenly going on a tear this month. Way too late for it to be of any use of course, but I just saw something in the way Paulie, AJ, and some others were carrying themselves late in the game. They are starting to look angry... finally.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 04:38 PM)
Call me crazy, but you can mark this down. I have a feeling that these core hitters who have been lacking punch will be waking up and suddenly going on a tear this month. Way too late for it to be of any use of course, but I just saw something in the way Paulie, AJ, and some others were carrying themselves late in the game. They are starting to look angry... finally.

You're not crazy, I totally agree. The offense will click and the Sox will have a .500 or better record from here on out and end up with the #9 pick in the draft.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 03:19 PM)

From Rotowire

Richar lost a third of his extra-base hits and more than 100 points of ISO upon leaving Lancaster. Without the power, he's a utility infielder with some speed and OBP.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 04:42 PM)
You're not crazy, I totally agree. The offense will click and the Sox will have a .500 or better record from here on out and end up with the #9 pick in the draft.

Super! They finally get it going...and for what?!?...to make themselves feel a little better going into the offseason? I couldn't give a crap less about their fragile little egos. Sit some of these guys and lets see the younsters play. And I really don't give a crap if it pisses off Wedge, Leyland or whoever either. If the vets get pissed about it...tough s***. You shoulda been doing...or started doing your job back in May.

Don't see why you are optimistic about the offense after that horses*** effort today at the plate.

What a joke of a team.

At least they lost for you guys who want 'em to lose every day.

You guys that want 'em to lose have a lot in common with Cubs fans right now.

You want the Sox to lose. Congrats.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 04:42 PM)
From Rotowire

Richar lost a third of his extra-base hits and more than 100 points of ISO upon leaving Lancaster. Without the power, he's a utility infielder with some speed and OBP.

2 questions . . .

1.) Do you have any idea when that was written? (hint: it was over a year ago)

2.) Can you even explain to me what that blurb means?

Do not need a hint from you! I did that to prove a point, he has not changed 1 bit from this report and as far as the blurb that is all I posted because I do not post info that is paid for as a rule. As far as Richar I'm done for today talking about him time to get ready for football.

Edited by Soxfest

Ok, you obviously don't understand what you posted so I'll help you out. When they mention "ISO" they're speaking of the difference between Batting average and Slugging percentage or Isolated power. They pointed out how between high A (2005) and AA (2006) Danny lost a good amount of power as his numbers show; 237 ISO in '05 down to a 123 ISO in '06 this dramatic fall came from a large dropoff in HRs (20 to 8).

In that small blurb they state that Danny does have 2 very distinct skill sets; speed and the ability to get on base (knows how to draw a walk) but without the power (which had disappeared between high A and AA) he shouldn't be viewed as an everyday player. So in the eyes of those who wrote that piece if Danny could hit for power he would then become more than just a utility infielder, ie: an everyday player.

Since being traded earlier this year Danny has shown off his power potential sporting an IsoP (isolated power) of close to 200 in 133 ABs at Charlotte and hitting 4 HR since being recalled a little over a month ago. So for you to say "he has not changed 1 bit from this report" would be a fallacy because Danny has improved upon that line you posted, he's shown that he still has that good pop and has shown the potential to be an everyday player at the major league level.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 06:35 PM)
Ok, you obviously don't understand what you posted so I'll help you out. When they mention "ISO" they're speaking of the difference between Batting average and Slugging percentage or Isolated power. They pointed out how between high A (2005) and AA (2006) Danny lost a good amount of power as his numbers show; 237 ISO in '05 down to a 123 ISO in '06 this dramatic fall came from a large dropoff in HRs (20 to 8).

In that small blurb they state that Danny does have 2 very distinct skill sets; speed and the ability to get on base (knows how to draw a walk) but without the power (which had disappeared between high A and AA) he shouldn't be viewed as an everyday player. So in the eyes of those who wrote that piece if Danny could hit for power he would then become more than just a utility infielder, ie: an everyday player.

Since being traded earlier this year Danny has shown off his power potential sporting an IsoP (isolated power) of close to 200 in 133 ABs at Charlotte and hitting 4 HR since being recalled a little over a month ago. So for you to say "he has not changed 1 bit from this report" would be a fallacy because Danny has improved upon that line you posted, he's shown that he still has that good pop and has shown the potential to be an everyday player at the major league level.